Options

The 5 Gallon Water Bottle Change Question!?!

This may be silly but I have a question.

I have one of those clear 5 Gallon Water bottles that I have been filling with change for a few years now.  

It's about 1/10th full.  It's got a ways to go.

My question as with everything going cashless, will I ever fill this thing?

My jar is filled up a little higher than this one.

What does everyone do w their change, lol?!?
Spare change can pile up to a splurge

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Keep the quarters, everything else goes in the change tray or I hand to my kid
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,047
    And what does F Me do with said quarters?  Find a motel w a shaking bed?  Save them?  Put them in peoples ears?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,473
    And what does F Me do with said quarters?  Find a motel w a shaking bed?  Save them?  Put them in peoples ears?
    He pulled them all out of kids' ears!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    I put change down beside my wallet and keys at night, put it back in my pocket the next morning and spend it when I go to store/grab lunch or whatever. Always have less than a dollar's worth of change that way.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Usually end up going in the kid's piggy bank

I like the shaking bed idea.  Like places where my shoes stick to the rug.  (Not really!)
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    I put change down beside my wallet and keys at night, put it back in my pocket the next morning and spend it when I go to store/grab lunch or whatever. Always have less than a dollar's worth of change that way.
    The point is to fill my bottle... Not to prolong it.
  • Options
    lol.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    It's been a few years and the bottle is 1/10th full...you ain't never filling that bad boy.
    My advice is to toss a couple bucks of change in your pocket on the daily, us it when you buy a coffee/soda that say is $2,55, pay with 2 bucks, 2 quarters and a nickel, lather rinse, repeat until that bottle is empty.
    It will get emptied way quicker than filled if its only 10% full now.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    a 2 liter bottle filled with dimes is supposed to equal $700. we made it over 3/4 the way before giving up

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I am amazed that people are still regularly dealing with change. There is only one place I use cash these days and that's my local farmers' market, where one stand out of about 30 only accepts cash while the others accept credit cards. If I want to buy their produce in particular I have to come prepared but aside from that I haven't dealt in cash (except while traveling overseas this summer) in over a year. It's so much simpler not dealing with cash. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I am amazed that people are still regularly dealing with change. There is only one place I use cash these days and that's my local farmers' market, where one stand out of about 30 only accepts cash while the others accept credit cards. If I want to buy their produce in particular I have to come prepared but aside from that I haven't dealt in cash (except while traveling overseas this summer) in over a year. It's so much simpler not dealing with cash. 
    There are a lot of places that still only deal w cash so I have it on me at all times.  I think cash is still king and don't want to see it fully disappear.

My change situation is getting tougher obviously which is why I posed the question.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    It's been a few years and the bottle is 1/10th full...you ain't never filling that bad boy.
    My advice is to toss a couple bucks of change in your pocket on the daily, us it when you buy a coffee/soda that say is $2,55, pay with 2 bucks, 2 quarters and a nickel, lather rinse, repeat until that bottle is empty.
    It will get emptied way quicker than filled if its only 10% full now.
    I am committed, lol.

Ill take a pic of it and show everyone.  Maybe it's more than that.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    a 2 liter bottle filled with dimes is supposed to equal $700. we made it over 3/4 the way before giving up

I've heard one full of pennies is only $200.  Imagine going through all that for $200, lol?!?
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Malroth said:

I've heard one full of pennies is only $200.  Imagine going through all that for $200, lol?!?

and then rolling them up in those change tubes
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    Malroth said:

and then rolling them up in those change tubes
    That's why people are willing to use those CoinStar machines and lose out on 12% of the cash.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    There are a lot of places that still only deal w cash so I have it on me at all times.  I think cash is still king and don't want to see it fully disappear.

My change situation is getting tougher obviously which is why I posed the question.
    Yeah, I always keep somewhere between $20-$60 in my wallet. I prefer cashless, but you never know when you'll need it.

As for the change, I do the same, albeit in a much smaller container. For some reason sorting the coins and putting them in the tubes is very satisfying to me. I deposited over $800 of rolled coins one time.
  • Options
    So it’s a 1/5th full. 
  • Options
    So probably only 20 years to go.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I think I've amassed about $1.47 in change over the last 15 years.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    So probably only 20 years to go.
    Life goals.

It is seriously something I would like to do.
  • Options
    I think I've amassed about $1.47 in change over the last 15 years.
    I started throwing dollars in there because I was so depressed it wasn't filling, lol.
  • Options
    So it’s a 1/5th full. 
    Is that the actual bottle?
    Pictures can be deceiving,  but that looks like it is 5% full, not 20% full.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,932
    So is this like a piggy bank but for adults?
    Also I read this as water bottle challenge :lol::neutral:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    edited September 2023
    My wife insists we throw our change into this hideous looking home-made mug until its full and then she cashes it in to use for buying Christmas presents.  It doesn't fill up very quickly these days, but then we don't buy very many Christmas presents any more. 
    Did I mention how hideous the mug is that we throw our change into?
    (Yet again, another photo I take and copy and paste and it gets squished.  That so strange.  But believe me, even if this photo wasn't squished, this mug would look hideous.  Did I mention that already?)
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    cash is king. I roll my eyes when people use a card to buy some gum.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    when I left the Utah football game last night and bought a beer from a guy illegally selling them out of a wagon, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t set up for credit card payments.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    when I left the Utah football game last night and bought a beer from a guy illegally selling them out of a wagon, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t set up for credit card payments.
    and that is part of the issue.  A lot of poor people in this country do not have bank accounts; debit or credit cards.  Some places have tried to establish card only businesses and local/state government have ruled against "no cash" policies as it causes hardship to some in the community.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    My wife insists we throw our change into this hideous looking home-made mug until its full and then she cashes it in to use for buying Christmas presents.  It doesn't fill up very quickly these days, but then we don't buy very many Christmas presents any more. 
    Did I mention how hideous the mug is that we throw our change into?
    (Yet again, another photo I take and copy and paste and it gets squished.  That so strange.  But believe me, even if this photo wasn't squished, this mug would look hideous.  Did I mention that already?)
    That photo reminds me of the ashtray and mug Norma made in pottery class on the Wonder Years.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,841
    So it’s a 1/5th full. 

nooo. 1/7th or 1/8th
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    1/8th I would say
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -