whos your fave players tone?

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok if you could get the tone of any player that you`ve ever heard who would it be? for me it`d be toss up between early dire straits era mark knopfler or stevie ray vaughan :)
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Easily without question Hendrix's dirt with SRV's clean to dirty
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    you sir are a man of taste ;) haha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I have so many favs, but in order to be fair I will put them in categories:

Most consistant favorite Clean: Edge
    Favorite clean Strat tone: SRV
    Favorite Strat tone ball to the wall: Rory Gallegher
    Favorite Les Paul tone: Duane
    Favorite Les Paul blues tone: Bloomfield
    Favorite inconsistant strat tone: Jimi
    Favorite inconsitant Les Paul tone: Page

There I feel better now, LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i really don't know.

there's this tone in "the shadowlands" by ryan adams. the solo. that's pretty much the perfect, rich clean. right on the edge of saturation.

for heavier stuff. i think rich robinson (black crowes) sounds awesome all the time.
    exhausted wrote:
    i really don't know.

there's this tone in "the shadowlands" by ryan adams. the solo. that's pretty much the perfect, rich clean. right on the edge of saturation.

for heavier stuff. i think rich robinson (black crowes) sounds awesome all the time.

Adams is one of my favs. I really like his tone as well. He is a great song writer and very much underated IMO.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    i don't know if it's ryan playing the solo. and i don't have the liner notes handy to check.

but whoever it is, it's perfect.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    do you mean that kinda creamy faded in strat tone solo? if so then yeah that is luscious!! its "Pure" strat tone to me sooo creamy :)
    it sure sounds like a strat to me but i'm often wrong about these things. sounds like neck pup through a fender.

sometimes, when my fingers bless me. i can achieve it.
  • i would have to say mike's tone this 2005 tour, its so amazing...listen to the solos in I Believe In Mircales....sounds so fucking sweet....i also like mikes copy of the hendrix "fuzz" sound i guess, for the National Anthem at that hockey thing he did

but my other favorite is Page's tone from Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    JofZ wrote:
    Adams is one of my favs. I really like his tone as well. He is a great song writer and very much underated IMO.

i turned my dad on to adams when he visited a couple weeks ago. made him a mix cd.
  • Abrasive tone : Joey Santiago (The Pixies)

perfect overall tone: Mike McCready

Bizarre-abrasive: Johnny Greenwood

Smooth : Robbie Gordon (The Doors) (i hope i got that name right..)

Hendrix clean and dirty tones. everything he ever did. its beyond category.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Robby Krieger, but we won't hold it against you!
  • I love Stevie's clean tone, but I've never tried to emulate it. I agree with the guys from the Black Crowes, they have awesome overdrived sounds.

For my lead tone, my absolute favourite is Neal Schon on a Les Paul and friends CD playing a song called I Wanna Know You. Fantastic midranged blues rock.

:)
    Interesting choices, Greenwood is a great pick and Radiohead is one of the few bands creating new tones that I like.

I am surprised no one has mentioned any of the Kings or Winter yet.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• moster78 wrote:
    Robby Krieger, but we won't hold it against you!
    KRIEGER

christ i knew that.

been a weird day.. i'm not thinking strait..

Neil Young has an amazing tone.

"Make our day"
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Billy Corgan. Brought the octave to a new level.
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Warren Haynes
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • HYLA wrote:
    Billy Corgan. Brought the octave to a new level.
    billy corgan is insane.

long live the flender and big muffs :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

"Make our day"
  • Clean Tone - Yellow Ledbetter, Little Wing (Stratocaster + probably a Fender reverb amp)

Crunch - Stone's tone on "1/2 Full" ('52 tele + trentino amp)

Overdrive - Santana (PRS + Trentino amp)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • the overdrive type sounds on Sonic Youth's "Sonic Nurse" are amazing
    I obviously love McCready's tone.

I'm also a huge fan of John Mayer. I really think he doesn't get nearly enough respect as a guitarist.
  • I was always partial to, in the most annoying, but good, tone category, Ian Mackaye, Fugazi, especially
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • moster78 wrote:

I'm also a huge fan of John Mayer. I really think he doesn't get nearly enough respect as a guitarist.

yeah man have you seen him on the crossroads guitar festival dvd
    AMAZING. I didnt like him before i saw that though, i think its just his image that gets him some bad word
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    edit: whoops...meant to make a new thread
    yeah man have you seen him on the crossroads guitar festival dvd
    AMAZING. I didnt like him before i saw that though, i think its just his image that gets him some bad word

No, I didn't even realize there was a DVD of it. I know after it Clapton made some comment that he didn't realize that Mayer could play like that. I like the two songs he's put out as the John Mayer Trio, especially "Who Did You Think I Was?" Some sample lyrics that seem to be all about dispelling his image: "Am I the one who plays the quiet songs? Is he the one who turns the ladies on? Will I keep shining until my light is gone? Who did you think I was?"
  • moster78 wrote:
    No, I didn't even realize there was a DVD of it. I know after it Clapton made some comment that he didn't realize that Mayer could play like that. I like the two songs he's put out as the John Mayer Trio, especially "Who Did You Think I Was?" Some sample lyrics that seem to be all about dispelling his image: "Am I the one who plays the quiet songs? Is he the one who turns the ladies on? Will I keep shining until my light is gone? Who did you think I was?"

sounds cool i will have to check it out
  • Hendrix's tone during the 1970 US tour.
  • John Mayer's shitty pop songs ruined his reputation completely.

His good music is... well.. good.

*bows*

"Make our day"
    John Mayer's shitty pop songs ruined his reputation completely.

His good music is... well.. good.

*bows*

You should check out the stuff he's released on iTunes as the John Mayer Trio. Its pretty damn good.
  • moster78 wrote:
    You should check out the stuff he's released on iTunes as the John Mayer Trio. Its pretty damn good.
    i know man.

i saw him on the hurricane relief too (as the trio).

he's great when he wants to be..

"Make our day"