underrated musicians

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok so who would you say is an extremely underrated musician and always gets forgotten amongst the plethora of name dropped supposed god like musos?

mine would be marc ford of the black crowes
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    J Mascis?

I guess you could call him underrated. He does get a lot of props depends on the circle.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Joey Kramer, Aerosmith's drummer. Funky enough that old school rappers love him.

The Edge. The best backing singer in music period.

Charlie Watts. You have to be so good to keep it so simple for so long.

Jimmy Page as a producer.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    john paul jones
    not on here but elsewhere...stone and jeff ament
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Dont see her mentioned all that much on here but PJ Harvey is one of my favourites, been producing quality albums for years, think she has 7 or 8 now. She's done some work with Thom Yorke and Josh Homme among others. Stories from the City, Stories from the sea is a must have in anyone's collection in my opinion. Love the single Good Fortune that was released from it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DPswnZolFGE

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=5923102
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Phil Rudd from AC/DC. No other drummer has as good as a groove as him. NOT A SOUL.

Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory is a sweet drummer. Many cool drum riffs.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • kurt cobain :P

i would prob agree with the above who said j masics, but dinosaur jr as a whole, they are such an awesome band and alot of people have never heard of them ive seen them twice and will be seeing them next sat at reading they rule!! gonna be awesome!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Jag Tanna, the guitarist from I Mother Earth, is a really great player. His style is really all his own.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Nate Mendel!
    And Someone aleady said it but John Paul Jones too.
    Taylor Hawkins as a singer.
    Joey Castillo.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Mark Knopfler doesn't get enough recognition. At least not anymore anyway. He's an amazing guitarist.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Mark Knopfler doesn't get enough recognition. At least not anymore anyway. He's an amazing guitarist.
    He's soo awesome and he doesn't even look like he's trying at all!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The two Marc's.

Marc Ford & Marc Ribot...
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    I know they're somewhat popular, but Primus. Les, Tim, and Ler are arguably 3 of the most talented musicians of the '90s, and it was pretty rare the band adhered to any pop culture music norms.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Second (maybe third by now) on Marc Ford and J Mascis. Both are phenomenal guitar players.

I'll add Eric Avery from Jane's Addiction on bass. He's not a flashy bass player, but he's written some of the best bass lines of all time in my opinion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Joe Perry.
    Saw Aerosmith and he absoutley blew me away.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Danny Thompson.

Now there's a bassist.

Here he is, with Richard Thompson (no relation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knc7tG6fcx0
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Richard Thompson rules.
  • Mike Einziger from Incubus.
    Chris Cornell as a guitarist.
    Billy Gould from Faith No More.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Neil Young as a lead guitarist. A lot of great musicians appreciate what he does, but many dismiss it as primitive.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Scott Henderson
    If you don't know who he is you need to look him up (he's one of the best guitar players alive).

Scott's got a little trio consisting of Himself on Guitar, Victor Wooten on Bass, and Steve Smith on Drums.
    If you don't know who Vistor Wooten is you need to leave the forum now and quit playing music.
    Steve Smith - formerly of Journey, and one bad-ass drummer.
    This is what I call a power trio.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • The Jamaican flautist and saxophonist Harold McNair (1931-1971). Anyone who's ever seen and/or heard the soundtrack to the film Kes will know why he was so great.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Travis Barker is pretty under-rated cause he's in a bunch of shit bands.
    Agree with Mike from Incubus, great guitarist, also the drummer (Jose) is great too.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Neil Young as a lead guitarist. A lot of great musicians appreciate what he does, but many dismiss it as primitive.

Frank Sampedro and Danny Whitten.

Neil could use more respect w. the non initiated, but these guys deserve more respect from those 'in the know'. Maybe not a half... but a third of the stuff that gets attributed to Neil on the Crazy Horse albums is from these guys. Esspecially a lof of those languid 'Decaying' chords that give those records a lot of their atmosphere.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Dont see her mentioned all that much on here but PJ Harvey is one of my favourites, been producing quality albums for years, think she has 7 or 8 now. She's done some work with Thom Yorke and Josh Homme among others. Stories from the City, Stories from the sea is a must have in anyone's collection in my opinion. Love the single Good Fortune that was released from it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DPswnZolFGE

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=5923102
    Not only is she underrated but she's brilliant and has a new album coming out next month !! :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Duncan Sheik doesn't get much media attention anymore. He wrote the music for Spring Awakening on Broadway.
    Stunned by my own reflection
    It's looking back, sees me too clearly
    And I swore I'd never go there again
    Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    IDgotI wrote:
    Frank Sampedro and Danny Whitten.

Neil could use more respect w. the non initiated, but these guys deserve more respect from those 'in the know'. Maybe not a half... but a third of the stuff that gets attributed to Neil on the Crazy Horse albums is from these guys. Esspecially a lof of those languid 'Decaying' chords that give those records a lot of their atmosphere.

Agreed. Danny was amazing. Poncho is a great compliment as well. EKTIN, RG, and SWA all have great 2nd guitar work.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
    Warren Zevon deserves / deserved all the cred anyone can heap on him on keyboards.
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Agreed. Danny was amazing. Poncho is a great compliment as well. EKTIN, RG, and SWA all have great 2nd guitar work.

Yeah, Danny in particular. I finally got around to hearing "Live at the Fillmore East" and it's a reminder of how just how talented that guy was. His vocals are amazing as well. The needle and the damage done ...
  • And to the list:

John Hiatt.
    I just saw him last night at the Grand Opera House in my town. He was amazing. He was solo with acoustic and also did a short set with an electric guitar. A great guitarist and singer. He doesn't shred or play fast, but he has a powerful way to stand there alone with his guitar and get you going!
    No drummer or bass, but he had a little rubbermaid floor pad that was miked. His left foot must be damn sore after a show from tapping that thing.

He writes the most amazing songs, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart