Options

Your 5 Greatest American Rock Bands of All Time and 5 More

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
edited August 2023 in Other Music
Jumping off the "the final five Greatest American Rock Bands of All Time" thread, list your top 5 (plus 5 more) here.
Think "Greatest" as well as favorites (For example, for me The Dream Syndicate is a top-5 favorite).

Mine are:

The Beach Boys
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
The Velvet Underground

And 5 more:

The Dream Syndicate
David Lindley and El Rayo-X
Moby Grape
Pearl Jam
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Would have love to name The Jimi Hendrix Experience, but only Jimi was American.  NY and Crazy Horse counts because Neil has dual citizen ship.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    The Grateful Dead
    Pearl Jam
    CCR
    Petty
    REM

Hmmm, I gotta think on the next five. GnR comes to mind but their total output, IMO, counts as a strike against them. Prince and The Revolution also comes to mind but The Revolution was constantly, well, revolving, so I tend to think of him more as a solo artist. The Allmans are definitely in there. Metallica may be in there - they're certainly one of the GOATs, maybe not top ten tho. The Black Crowes? The Eagles, perhaps? Fun exercise, Brian. Gonna think on this and circle back....

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Great thread list for this PJ Community Brian.  I can recall many years ago posting a thread ✨️ that was
     Your Greatest American &  United Kingdom Rock Bands then....Your Choice Which Country Is Better?

Anyway here's my top 5 favorites...

1. Talking Heads
    2. METALLICA 
    3. Parliament Funkadelic 
    4. Van Halen
    5. Isley Brothers

Five more...

6. Pearl Jam
    7. Boston
    8. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9. Eagles
    10. Rage Against The Machine 

Honorable mention:

FUGAZI
    🎶✌️

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band
    Tom Petty & Heartbreakers
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

Allman Brothers
    CCR
    The Doors
    Tool
    Beastie Boys 
  • Options
    g under p said:
    Great thread list for this PJ Community Brian.  I can recall many years ago posting a thread ✨️ that was
     Your Greatest American &  United Kingdom Rock Bands then....Your Choice Which Country Is Better?

Anyway here's my top 5 favorites...

1. Talking Heads
    2. METALLICA 
    3. Parliament Funkadelic 
    4. Van Halen
    5. Isley Brothers

Five more...

6. Pearl Jam
    7. Boston
    8. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9. Eagles
    10. Rage Against The Machine 

Honorable mention:

FUGAZI
    🎶✌️

Now that you mention it, I remember that thread.  That was fun!

Nice to see Fugazi mentioned- good one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Oh I love these!

The Misfits
    Metallica
    Sublime
    James Brown
    Pearl Jam

Next 5

Tool
    The Weeks
    The Doors
    CCR
    Roy Orbison

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    My rankings, not necessarily my favs

1 - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    2 - Metallica
    3 - Pearl Jam
    4 - Eagles
    5 - Beach Boys

Next 5
    6 - Van Halen
    7 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakrs
    8 - Aerosmith
    9 - The Killers
    10 - REM

Underrated:
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Smithereens
    Shinedown
    Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band

• Options
    Oh I love these!

The Misfits
    Metallica
    Sublime
    James Brown
    Pearl Jam

Next 5

Tool
    The Weeks
    The Doors
    CCR
    Roy Orbison

Mr. Jaaaaaaaames Brown- oh yeah!

pjhawks said:

2 - Metallica
    3 - Pearl Jam
    4 - Eagles
    5 - Beach Boys

Next 5
    6 - Van Halen
    8 - Aerosmith
    9 - The Killers
    10 - REM

Underrated:
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Smithereens
    Shinedown

Agreed, Seger often gets over-looked.   I remember reading once that Bob Seger and Ted Nugent  shared a bill and between sets Nugent told Seger to "shit or get off the pot".  Much as I don't care for ol' shot-gun Ted, apparently that really fired up Bob and he really stepped up his game.  Seger has done dome great work.

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    After seeing Bruce and E street tonight...they are for sure in the discussion
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    After seeing Bruce and E street tonight...they are for sure in the discussion

Yes, for sure. 
    And I'm guessing had he gotten more support from the recording industry, The Boss's long-time lead guitarist Nis Lofgren might be right up there as well, either with Grin or one of his other bands.

In any case, must have been a hell of a show.  Great that you got to see them.

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,504
    E Street
    Pearl Jam
    Petty/Heartbreakers
    REM
    Soundgarden

Aerosmith
    CCR
    Death Cab
    Metallica
    MMJ

NY is Canadian right? Otherwise NY/CH would be in my top 10, bumping down Soundgarden and bumping out CCR.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    So many groups I left out.  Can you use Beastie Boys?

Early VH.  Sound Garden, Beach Boys, The Dead, Buddy Holly, pick any one of the Kings in Elvis Michael Albert BB Freddie, Talking Heads, Violent Femmes, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, Dolly Pardon, Johnny Cash... The list goes on...
  • Options

Early VH.  Sound Garden, Beach Boys, The Dead, Buddy Holly, pick any one of the Kings in Elvis Michael Albert BB Freddie, Talking Heads, Violent Femmes, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, Dolly Pardon, Johnny Cash... The list goes on...

Beaties?  Sure- they're rockish hip hop.
    Dolly?  Why not... did a cover of Stairway to Heaven!
    DKs- oh yeah!
    Kings?  Hail to  the three kings!
    Royal Trio The Three Kings  Washermans Dog

• Options
    brianlux said:

DKs- oh yeah!

I did throw the King of Pop and The King, Elvis in there too, lol.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

DKs- oh yeah!

I did throw the King of Pop and The King, Elvis in there too, lol.

All good choices!  :smiley:

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,504
    I was going for bands rather than artists. That would change everything.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

Thank you for the reminder.  I think I was the one who started this thread, LOL.  And yes, it does say "Bands".
    OK tempo_n_groove  that means you have to refine you list... OR ELSE!  :lol:

• Options
    brianlux said:

Thank you for the reminder.  I think I was the one who started this thread, LOL.  And yes, it does say "Bands".

lol, Thank goodness James Brown plays w a band or had the JB's w him!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    I don't have any way to judge greatest...ans even what I might consider Rock.  Which do I listen to the most / have I listened to the most / do I love now the most?  Could come up with 10 of each.

The Beach Boys (rock, though?)
    Chilis
    Metallica
    GnR
    Pearl Jam
    NIN
    CCR
    Beasties
    Rage
    SG

Too tough to leave out so many.  Top 10 hair bands could also be a category for my tastes

Also, can I ignore any Aerosmith pop shit?  The ZZ Top pop stage?  Those could go in there for me, based on Tres Hombres and Toys in The Attic, alone.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianlux said:

lol, Thank goodness James Brown plays w a band or had the JB's w him!

JB was so amazing and I would definitely keep him on your list considering how much a task master he was with his band.  Miss one beat and a guy would get fined.  Whoa!

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I don't have any way to judge greatest...ans even what I might consider Rock.  Which do I listen to the most / have I listened to the most / do I love now the most?  Could come up with 10 of each.

The Beach Boys (rock, though?)
    Chilis
    Metallica
    GnR
    Pearl Jam
    NIN
    CCR
    Beasties
    Rage
    SG

Too tough to leave out so many.  Top 10 hair bands could also be a category for my tastes

Also, can I ignore any Aerosmith pop shit?  The ZZ Top pop stage?  Those could go in there for me, based on Tres Hombres and Toys in The Attic, alone.

I would count the Beach Boys.  Like Robbin Williams playing the part of Adrian Cronauer in "Good Morning Vietnam" when they were having a staff meeting to talk about what music to play for the G.I. camp show at the base and Cronauer says something like, "We need some rock 'n' rock.  For Christ's sake, get The Beach Boys!"
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    If I count them (which I did) they are on top list, for me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Me too.  My first favorite band!

• Options
    OMG ZZ Top!  How can one forget them.

How about CSN?  Croce? Skynard? Kiss?

All great bands but maybe a different tier?
  • Options

All good possible choice BUT...
    ...This leads me to  realizing how futile the whole premise of this thread is.  Who the hell came up with this nonsense in the first place anyway? :lol:          
    But seriously, it nearly impossible to define "greatest" when it comes to music.  What if we did a thread similar to this for jazz?  How could we possibly compare, let's say, the work of early Louis Armstrong to Charlie Parker to Sun Ra to Bitches Brew era Miles Davis?  They are so different it's almost not even the same genre!
    Somebody needs to talk to the OP here and straighten that guy out!

• Options
    brianlux said:

...This leads me to  realizing how futile the whole premise of this thread is.  Who the hell came up with this nonsense in the first place anyway? :lol:          
    But seriously, it nearly impossible to define "greatest" when it comes to music.  What if we did a thread similar to this for jazz?  How could we possibly compare, let's say, the work of early Louis Armstrong to Charlie Parker to Sun Ra to Bitches Brew era Miles Davis?  They are so different it's almost not even the same genre!
    hahahahaah!!!

And this is why they made subgenres in music.  If you said BEST southern Rock band?  You'd get CCR, Skynard and Grand Funk for sure every time in those!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

hahahahaah!!!

And this is why they made subgenres in music.  If you said BEST southern Rock band?  You'd get CCR, Skynard and Grand Funk for sure every time in those!

Great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?
    Ice Cream On Head GIFs  Tenor

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hahahahaah!!!

Well then we would argue how Kings of Leon are not southern rock but acid rock and so on and so forth, lol.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hahahahaah!!!

Well then we would argue how Kings of Leon are not southern rock but acid rock and so on and so forth, lol.

The rabbit hole runs deep, lol

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,280
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hahahahaah!!!

The rabbit hole runs deep, lol

I've been compiling playlists for an older (okay, elderly) friend whose only knowledge of twentieth-century non-classical music seems to be The Beatles. There are some deep rabbit holes on YouTube. :-D And yes I keep branching off into various sub-genres.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,280
    brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

2 - Metallica
    3 - Pearl Jam
    4 - Eagles
    5 - Beach Boys

Next 5
    6 - Van Halen
    8 - Aerosmith
    9 - The Killers
    10 - REM

Underrated:
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Smithereens
    Shinedown

Agreed, Seger often gets over-looked.   I remember reading once that Bob Seger and Ted Nugent  shared a bill and between sets Nugent told Seger to "shit or get off the pot".  Much as I don't care for ol' shot-gun Ted, apparently that really fired up Bob and he really stepped up his game.  Seger has done dome great work.

I grew up in Michigan and I have no idea why Ted Nugent ever would be more popular than Bob Seger. I don't care much for either of them, but Seger has the larger, better catalog, I'd argue.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.