I´ll be the first to ask...

2»

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Glendale, AZ was 23 songs last year. That's about 90 minutes of music, 20 minutes of Ed talking and another 10 for the encore break. I'd always vote for more music.
    Yeah Ed seems to talk more and more.  I often wondered if he talked so the band could catch their breath.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 410
    edited August 2023
    2h/2:15h 1 encore show
    I’m not expecting much this year but hopefully the next time they tour behind an album: I hope they do something more interesting with the stage next time. They’ve never had the most flashy productions but the “just a few lights” look last year was maybe slightly too pared back.
    They’ve never been about extravagant stage set ups I don’t expect them to start now I just like some lights stacks of amps and the band 
    Yeah, it's never been extravagant, but the '13-'18 look with the bird and the lightbulbs (even that evolved over time a bit), or the backdrops from the backspace era, or whatever just added a bit of interest to the setup.
  • 2h/2:15h 1 encore show
    It’s not about the length….
    Hyyyyaaaa
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    The more important question to ask is

Will Binaural through Backspacer be completely forgotten about again on this tour?
    Would any other bands play any songs from Binaural through Backspacer to a crowd wanting to hear hits? You know the answer. 
    I guess it depends on your definition of "hit." There were a bunch of rock radio hits on that span of albums. "World Wide Suicide" was number 1 for three weeks on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart and hit No. 2 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. "Nothing As It Seems," "I Am Mine," "The Fixer" and "Just Breathe" were all top tens on one or both charts.

Anyway, my ideal set would be something like one-third "hits" (with the hits changing show to show, albeit with some overlap), one-third new album and one-third album tracks from across the band's career, and a bare minimum of covers. Give me 27 original Pearl Jam songs over 25 original PJ songs and 6 covers any day.

And whatever you're going to play, rehearse it. Nothing dulls the excitement of them pulling out a deep cut more than Eddie butchering the lyrics.

I totally understand that there are a lot of Pearl Jam fans who have little interest in anything the band has done since 1998. What I don't understand is why someone who feels that way would pay to be in a Pearl Jam fan club for 25 years beyond 1998. I also think that some of these people would find out there's a lot to like on the post-1998 albums if they ever gave them the same kind of attention they gave the albums through YieldIt gets harder to do that as you get older and life gets in the way, but the rewards are there if you take the time. I mean, there have been posters here who have said they gave Gigaton one listen and decided they weren't into it. That makes no sense to me.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,808
    BF25394 said:

Will Binaural through Backspacer be completely forgotten about again on this tour?
    Would any other bands play any songs from Binaural through Backspacer to a crowd wanting to hear hits? You know the answer. 
    I guess it depends on your definition of "hit." There were a bunch of rock radio hits on that span of albums. "World Wide Suicide" was number 1 for three weeks on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart and hit No. 2 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. "Nothing As It Seems," "I Am Mine," "The Fixer" and "Just Breathe" were all top tens on one or both charts.

Anyway, my ideal set would be something like one-third "hits" (with the hits changing show to show, albeit with some overlap), one-third new album and one-third album tracks from across the band's career, and a bare minimum of covers. Give me 27 original Pearl Jam songs over 25 original PJ songs and 6 covers any day.

And whatever you're going to play, rehearse it. Nothing dulls the excitement of them pulling out a deep cut more than Eddie butchering the lyrics.

I totally understand that there are a lot of Pearl Jam fans who have little interest in anything the band has done since 1998. What I don't understand is why someone who feels that way would pay to be in a Pearl Jam fan club for 25 years beyond 1998. I also think that some of these people would find out there's a lot to like on the post-1998 albums if they ever gave them the same kind of attention they gave the albums through YieldIt gets harder to do that as you get older and life gets in the way, but the rewards are there if you take the time. I mean, there have been posters here who have said they gave Gigaton one listen and decided they weren't into it. That makes no sense to me.

Meh, everyone has different opinions.  I haven't listened to Gigaton in over a year, but I revisit Backspacer and Lightning Bolt regularly.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    BF25394 said:

I’ve said this about a million times on these threads: the fan club does not fill arenas, I would argue 80-90% of the attendees are locals that just want to see Pearl Jam play the hits. WWS isn’t a hit, it was a single the played on the radio for a few weeks. Alive is a hit, Black is a hit, GTF is a hit. The band is older, we’re older. Play the hits. I’ve seen everything else over the past 30 years. 20 song 2 hour set of rocking is perfect 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    BF25394 said:

I’ve said this about a million times on these threads: the fan club does not fill arenas, I would argue 80-90% of the attendees are locals that just want to see Pearl Jam play the hits. WWS isn’t a hit, it was a single the played on the radio for a few weeks. Alive is a hit, Black is a hit, GTF is a hit. The band is older, we’re older. Play the hits. I’ve seen everything else over the past 30 years. 20 song 2 hour set of rocking is perfect 
    If you are only seeing one show a tour, this is fine.  But if you want to keep seeing multiple shows a tour, then the selitsts don't jive with that.   Band does what they do.  We have to adapt.  
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,726
    edited August 2023
    BF25394 said:

Seems a large percentage of 10c tickets though this tour and probably more than any other.
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 317

Backspacer will make quite a tuned down Come Back (The Fixer tuned down. Got Some was recorded tuned down) Just Breathe will make a return (will sound fine tuned down in a sit-down opener mini set or begin Encore) Surprise Marker In The Sand (it was recorded tuned down)
    Of The Girl will be in there. Insignificance would be a great way back tuned down and some vocal delivery change. Green Disease. Get Right. Cropduster. Save You tuned down.) Makes me sad tuning down but I expect some Lost Dogs 20 Year Anniversary cuts.
    The Avocado is tough. That was some album. Army Reserve tuned down? Inside Job will make the cut. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    BF25394 said:

I understand that the fan club doesn't fill arenas. I wasn't talking about people who aren't in the fan club. I was talking about people who are in the fan club but who have little interest in anything the band's done in the past quarter-century. I understand why it is that way. People generally have little interest in new music as they age. (I think that usually says more about the audience than it does about the artists.) But it still surprises me that people are willing to pay money to be in the fan club just for the opportunity to see "Even Flow" for the 20th time. (And I say that as someone who has seen "Even Flow" 67 times.)

"World Wide Suicide" wasn't just a song played on the radio for a few weeks. It was the most-played song at rock radio for three weeks, and it was played on rock radio for months. Like I said, I guess it depends on your definition of "hit." Strictly speaking, Pearl Jam's only real "hit" was "Last Kiss." You can make a case for "Alive," "Even Flow" and "Jeremy" because of their MTV popularity, but even those songs had limited crossover from rock to pop radio. (And we're talking about a time when radio was the dominant medium for music consumption.) For example, "Jeremy" peaked at No. 70 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, and "Alive," "Even Flow" and "Black" never even cracked the top 100 in airplay. The "hits" from Vs. and Vitalogy had no videos, and thus no MTV, and only "Better Man" was a crossover hit, peaking at No. 13 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart. ("Corduroy" hit No. 53 in airplay.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
    edited August 2023
    BF25394 said:

Why is GTF a hit?

Also, why play the hits? No one will mutter ”man they didnt play X” on the way out if they do their job. And those that do, why would anyone care?

You get the crowd you cultivate. 

You sound like Paul Stanley. 

But if they wanna play Evenflow, ofc they should. But they should play WWS too. Because it’s greeeat. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Anyone think PJ will rehearse for this tour or will they rehearse at the shows and they go along? 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • 2h/2:15h 1 encore show
    Anyone think PJ will rehearse for this tour or will they rehearse at the shows and they go along? 
    I think they'll probably do a week's worth before the first gig.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    PJ will rehearse for this tour.
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    I'll take whatever they want to give... 
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I mean, it feels like they're back to where they were before the Lightning Bolt tour.  2 hours on the short end, and maybe 2h30 on the long end.

Back in the day too, it felt like shows got longer the deeper into the tour you got. Like the band got more polished, and in shape, and were able to add a few more songs by the end.    I think these tours are too short to get there if they're getting deeper into touring shape as the tour goes on.

It's still taking some adjusting after the 2013 - 2018 3 hour+ barn burners.  They could play the hits, deep cuts, favourite covers when they're playing 35 songs a night.

Looking forward to the next time they play Vancouver or Seattle.  It's been a bit.  Fingers crossed for 2024 :)
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    Hopefully their rehearsals include a lot of Riot Act!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.