Options

What do you most often listen for in a vocalist?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
Obviously most of us will say a combination of these choices, but which is the one that, generally, is of the highest priority for you. 
Just having fun here- there are no "right" answers!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What do you most often listen for in a vocalist? 12 votes

Vocal prowess/skilled, a vituoso (Tony Bennett, Maria Callas, etc.)
0%
Powerful, driven, dynmaic voice (Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder...)
25%
lastexitlondonBrainofBGAjeff2040 3 votes
Soulful (James Brown, Tina Turner...)
8%
DukeSpirit 1 vote
Feeling, expressive (Neil Young, J Mascis...)
33%
goldrushstatic111jjflashbrianlux 4 votes
Emotional (Chris Carrabba, Adele...)
8%
tempo_n_groove 1 vote
Quirky (Mark Mothersbaugh, Bjork...)
8%
Loujoe 1 vote
Great voice or not, give me good moves (Mick Jagger, Michael Jackson...)
0%
Other (Not combinations- one trait. Explain and give examples)
16%
josevolutionTim Simmons 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    I went w emotional.  Pure emotion can be powerful.  Aretha Franklin was soul but had power and emotion with it.  Cornell was power but also had emotion with it.  Michael Jackson soung for his life every time he hit the stage and that was raw with emotion.

So yeah.

Emotion.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    IDK if this would fall under 'prowess' but I've always been impressed with the sense of presence from singers like Mike Patton, or Bjork or Thom Yorke... their voices are more instruments contributing to the song then they are a person singing words. 
  • Options
    IDK if this would fall under 'prowess' but I've always been impressed with the sense of presence from singers like Mike Patton, or Bjork or Thom Yorke... their voices are more instruments contributing to the song then they are a person singing words. 
    Maynerd fits that bill too.
  • Options
    Maynerd fits that bill too.
    1000%
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Other (Not combinations- one trait. Explain and give examples)
    If they sing good lyrics and are supported by competent players that make the music good.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    I'm having a hard time parsing 'feeling/expressive' from 'emotional'. Are they not one in the same?

I'd argue you can overlay 'feeling/expressive' onto all of the other categories and make them better for having done so. For example, 'soulful' is good...but is taken up a notch when done with feeling (see @tempo_n_groove 's Aretha spot-on comments above). Virtuosity is impressive...and even moreso when done w/ expression. Etc, etc
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    I'm having a hard time parsing 'feeling/expressive' from 'emotional'. Are they not one in the same?

I'd argue you can overlay 'feeling/expressive' onto all of the other categories and make them better for having done so. For example, 'soulful' is good...but is taken up a notch when done with feeling (see @tempo_n_groove 's Aretha spot-on comments above). Virtuosity is impressive...and even moreso when done w/ expression. Etc, etc

Yeah, I can see your point.  I was thinking emotional as in "emo".  

Emo singers- to my ears are- more overly emotional than I care for.  They kind of have a pity-party style that doesn't work for me.  Feeling/expressive to me is more well rounded, more rooted in a wider experience.  Neil Young, for example, even at a younger age seemed wise for his years.  "Sugar Mountain" to me sounds like wisdom coming from a young artist rather than whining. 

But I'll concede that I could have done a better job on those categories.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,854
    edited July 2023
    Nice to try Brian. 
    Quirky gives me the chills. Bjork, perry Farrel, zappa, les Claypool  Mike Patton sometimes.
    Drawn to something different.

That being said...............

Been spinning an old Harry Bellefonte record I just found to mellow my soul.

Love it all at different days of the week. Just no modern country for my ears. Not in my blood. No offense to anyone that digs it.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Nice to try Brian. 
    Quirky gives me the chills. Bjork, perry Farrel, zappa, les Claypool  Mike Patton sometimes.
    Drawn to something different.

That being said...............

Been spinning an old Harry Bellefonte record I just found to mellow my soul.

Love it all at different days of the week. Just no modern country for my ears. Not in my blood. No offense to anyone that digs it.

I too like some of the quirkier singers out there.  
    Perry Farrel is terrific!
    I don't know if David Byrne is still considered as one with a quirky voice, but he sure was back in the day and I really liked is off-beat style.

My folks -- especially my pop- liked Bellefonte a lot which was great because although I wasn't much into their style of music (G.I. generation), I though Harry B was very cool!

• Options
    I'd stick Mr Byrne in there.

Music that initially makes me uncomfortable then gets seared into my brain is what I've been drawn to. Lee Scratch Perry did that well. Throwing unexpected oddness into his music. Tom waits kills me too. Likely more emotional but sure is experimental at times. 
    Oh Sees are getting to me too thanks to. @tempo_n_groove suggestion.

So much music...so much time.

Love you all

Good thread Brian
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Music that initially makes me uncomfortable then gets seared into my brain is what I've been drawn to. Lee Scratch Perry did that well. Throwing unexpected oddness into his music. Tom waits kills me too. Likely more emotional but sure is experimental at times. 

Love you all

Good thread Brian

Thanks for chiming in here, Loujoe.  
    "So much music... so much time"... so true. One of the things I love about music and books is that there is always something I haven't heard or read.  It's a never ending process of discovery!

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

Love you all

Good thread Brian

"So much music... so much time"... so true. One of the things I love about music and books is that there is always something I haven't heard or read.  It's a never ending process of discovery!
    ^^So true, @Loujoe and @brianlux
    I'm not sure which is more rewarding: discovering a new band/artist whose sounds rattle the marrow of your bones, or crossing paths with an album - one that's been available for years, perhaps decades - and having that Eureka! moment for having discovered a treasure that's long been hiding in plain sight.
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

Love you all

Good thread Brian

^^So true, @Loujoe and @brianlux
    I'm not sure which is more rewarding: discovering a new band/artist whose sounds rattle the marrow of your bones, or crossing paths with an album - one that's been available for years, perhaps decades - and having that Eureka! moment for having discovered a treasure that's long been hiding in plain sight.

Well said, JJ.  I LOVE that Eureka! moment!  That's how I felt when I came across Randy California's Kapt. Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds LP (in a thrift store, no less!), and Dead Moon's first album, In The Graveyard-- both quit some years after their release.  Hooray!

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,307
    edited July 2023
    What do I look for in a vocalist?

Lanegan. I look for Lanegan.

I went for ‘Feeling / Expressive’ over the others because the most important thing to me is how the singer makes you feel, regardless of genre, virtuosity, power etc.

My favourite singers would include people like Mark Lanegan, Michael Stipe, Foy Vance, Eddie, Scott Hutchison, Neil, PJ Harvey, David Lowery, Lou Barlow… All of them could probably fit just as well in other categories, but all of them have the ability to make me feel something that can just stop me in my tracks.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I went for ‘Feeling / Expressive’ over the others because the most important thing to me is how the singer makes you feel, regardless of genre, virtuosity, power etc.

My favourite singers would include people like Mark Lanegan, Michael Stipe, Foy Vance, Eddie, Scott Hutchison, Neil, PJ Harvey, David Lowery, Lou Barlow… All of them could probably fit just as well in other categories, but all of them have the ability to make me feel something that can just stop me in my tracks.

Excellent picks, all.  Nice to see Lou B get a tip of the hat!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

It’s a cool topic, Brian, and not as easy to choose as you first think. Certainly put my grey matter to the test this morning!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Reading through the new  posts, and was kicking myself for not mentioning Lanegan… you beat me to it. 

His work (both solo & other) touches me in a way nothing else does. I’m not in the habit of ranking voices or talking about the GOAT, but that guy’s voice is one of the all time greats. 
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Reading through the new  posts, and was kicking myself for not mentioning Lanegan… you beat me to it. 

His work (both solo & other) touches me in a way nothing else does. I’m not in the habit of ranking voices or talking about the GOAT, but that guy’s voice is one of the all time greats. 
    Tim Rogers (lead singer from You Am I) once said:

“If that voice don’t make you feel, then you ain’t got air inside ya”. 

It’s one of my favourite quotes, and sums up exactly how I feel about Lanegan. 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

It’s a cool topic, Brian, and not as easy to choose as you first think. Certainly put my grey matter to the test this morning!

Thanks! 
    And hey, I hadn't even thought of the added bonus of grey matter exercise, lol.  Keeping the brain tuned up is always a good thing!  :smile:

• Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

True. I always thought of his vocals as ghostly. I have yet to dive into his solo stuff. I listened to one and it triggers sadness so lately I've stayed away. Maybe a good listen on a cold, dark rainy day. Or a sunny one to balance the vibe. Whhhhaaatever.

Tim Rogers made me think of Paul Rogers from Bad Co. He has some powerful v chords.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Great quote, and I feel the same way. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

True. I always thought of his vocals as ghostly. I have yet to dive into his solo stuff. I listened to one and it triggers sadness so lately I've stayed away. Maybe a good listen on a cold, dark rainy day. Or a sunny one to balance the vibe. Whhhhaaatever.

Tim Rogers made me think of Paul Rogers from Bad Co. He has some powerful v chords.
    Bubblegum & Blues Funeral are amazing albums. Yeah, there is a lot of sadness, but a lot of beauty too. 

I can’t recommend them enough. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Love you all

Good thread Brian
    They have a new album coming out and will tour in the fall!!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    I’d like to check all the options. I love singing, it’s such a vulnerable act. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Nicely said.