Merch recommendation for shows

Let me get this out the way first thing, I'm not a Nickelback fan at all, although I saw this on a friend's FB post and thought it's a brilliant idea.

I know I'd be willing to pay shipping and handling any day, that way I wouldn't have to lug around stuff before, during, and after a show.  I'd imagine people would order more using this method and it would allow fans to explore the city that they traveled to instead of waiting in line for most the day.

Thoughts?  I know, I know, I never thought I'd be recommending anything about N-back.
1995: Salt Lake City 1 & 2
1998: Missoula
2000: Boise
2002: Seattle 1 & 2
2003: Phoenix
2004: Mountain View, CA (Bridge School)
2005: The Gorge
2006: Las Vegas, The Gorge
2009: Seattle
2013: Portland, Spokane, Seattle
2014: Memphis

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,619
    edited July 2023
    Its an idea thats been kicked around by fans for years, especially when it comes to posters. The common belief is that the 10c just couldn't handle that much demand because its a smaller operation, and that the current system works for the most part. 

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    They had posters for sale before I believe 2009 tour, sight unseen… and from what I remember if you didn’t get a masterpiece it was a bit nasty

i participated, it was fun

Would do that again

also buying merch without lines is a no brainer
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,806
    They might check out The Cure’s operation on their current tour. Shirts were $25 first off with other stuff like hoodies being more expensive.

Every show had a poster for that city. During the show I looked online at their shop. Posters for the show I was at were on sale, including their trading cards for each show (poster on front, setlist on back), and a gig specific shirt with the night’s poster on the front of the T.

In my seat, I preordered two gig shirts at $25 a piece. After shipping, I paid about $65. That’s less than the cost of two shirts at normal shows! Quite happy and no lines. Online, after posters sold out, they had a variant poster up for sale immediately.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    CROJAM95 said:
    They had posters for sale before I believe 2009 tour, sight unseen… and from what I remember if you didn’t get a masterpiece it was a bit nasty

i participated, it was fun

Would do that again

also buying merch without lines is a no brainer
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I don't buy a lot of merch as is but almost certainly would if the process was easier. I'm not going to wait in a three hour line. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    Save everybody's time and energy.
    Makes sence in this day and age
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I'd definitely do this.  I'm not a big fan of dealing with merch lines, and they seem to get bigger and bigger (especially worse at stadium concerts).

That being said, PJ tried it with posters in 2009.  I went to the Calgary show that year and was able to buy a poster online, and didn't have to worry about buying one and holding onto it during the festival.   It was great!

I believe I read, that 10c didn't do it again because they don't have sufficient manpower to handle it?  IE they're sort of a mom and pop operation, and it was a struggle to scale up for mailing that much stuff for a number of shows.

On the flip side don't artists have to share the revenue with the venue, when they sell onsite?  Maybe they could use the extra revenue they keep to hire some more bodies.

I dunno.. I'll call it a disadvantage of 10c/PJ operations being smaller and run in house, rather than outsourcing it to another company.  There's good and not so good that comes from that.

I can say, I'd easily pay for shipping if it meant not dealing with merch lineups.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891
    They might check out The Cure’s operation on their current tour. Shirts were $25 first off with other stuff like hoodies being more expensive.

Every show had a poster for that city. During the show I looked online at their shop. Posters for the show I was at were on sale, including their trading cards for each show (poster on front, setlist on back), and a gig specific shirt with the night’s poster on the front of the T.

In my seat, I preordered two gig shirts at $25 a piece. After shipping, I paid about $65. That’s less than the cost of two shirts at normal shows! Quite happy and no lines. Online, after posters sold out, they had a variant poster up for sale immediately.
    Cure also had a qr code at some venues that you could order and then just pick up at a separate "mobile order" line at the merch stand without waiting in the long line. That may be the best of all so you don't have to pay or wait for shipping. 
  • FlavafrazFlavafraz Posts: 416
    They would definitely make more money I’m sure therefore be able to pay for extra help with the demands 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144

I ended up buying four shirts because it was so damn simple and relatively cheap. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,812
    edited July 2023
    IMO:

The 10C system works.

Unfortunately, it works for a band that should be charging $35-50 for tickets and playing in front of 5000-6500 people each night...a band where you can stroll in to the pit 45 minutes before on-stage time and get a great view.

Pearl Jam is a huge band. Sadly, 10C never really grew with the band. Bands/artists at their level include Dave Matthews, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Taylor Swift, etc. Ok...maybe Taylor is one step up, the way her fans are showing up in droves without tickets.

10C still thinks they're an OAR-level band. I grabbed an OAR drumstick off the floor of the pit with absolutely no challenge. I bought a band-signed variant poster AFTER the show with no issues. OAR is a great band, don't get me wrong...but 10C (or someone in charge) still thinks they're at that level.

I don't see anyone lining up at 3am Monday for a spot at the rail for OAR's Tuesday show. I don't see people waiting 3+ hours for a shot at a poster and shirt they may try to flip on eBay for $499.99+39.99 shipping.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"