*** The Movie Discussions Thread ***

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
edited July 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
This doesn't really suit the other film thread. Not saying that one isn't fun.

So I post it here --

Poster for the new Alien movie directed by the dude who did the 2013 Evil Dead "remake" and Don't Breathe. I imagine a trailer is on the way.

Would have rather had Neill Blomkamps cancelled film:

Michael Biehn is the 20 million-dollar-salary-per-film action hero that never was.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,881
    or you could have just posted on this thread instead of starting a new topic of the same thing... just saying

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    or you could have just posted on this thread instead of starting a new topic of the same thing... just saying

Did not know that one existed. I am so sorry sire. Don't come after my family. Take me, but not my family. I beg you. Let them live.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Never noticed this before. But when the man who cares about his friends wheels shoots the shotgun up in the air at the beginning of T2, Arnold flinches. 

I THOUGHT HE WAS A MACHINE

https://youtu.be/78_1tqjRLPE
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,906
    I never noticed that either! He totally does, haha! The editor was one quarter second off, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I never noticed that either! He totally does, haha! The editor was one quarter second off, lol.
    Yes. Now I will never be able to unseee ittttt.

Another thing while we're on the subject of Terminator 2. 

It's crazy (not that crazy) that the deleted scenes from The Last Action Hero didn't show up until the 4k UHD release. And with them, one additonal Terminator 2 reference that I found funny to discover. 30 years after TLAH film was made.

edited July 2023
    Some shots to show how borked the 2017 master of Terminator 2 is. Made strictly for 3D, with "all" grain scubbed this is the one also used for regular 2D showings and home video releases. The 3D conversation crew is still in the credits even, on the 2D versions. 

2017 above - no grain and Dr Silberman is very waxy. It looked so extremely bad when I saw this one in both 3D and 2D back in 2018. Like a videogame or one bad upscale (@Rubysdad @Santos L. Halper - keep an eye om that Single Video Theory upscale you are doing instead of going back to the film elements).  A shot from a 35mm print scan below.

Mistakes in the grade also present. Now the future scenes are in a monochromatic blue with even the lasers being blue. Also lack of grain.

And that is why one of my life goals since I was... eh... 25 maybe... has been to get to see a screening of Terminator 2 on a film copy (35 or 70mm). I have had the chance to watch a copy from 1984 of The Terminator on 35. Even with the 80s swedish subtitles present which was cute. But never the sequel. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,841
    edited July 2023
    I’m guessing the original release was in 35 mm? I saw it back on ‘91 while on vacation with my sister at her boyfriend’s house. We all went out to see it and they tried to not let me in, even though my sister was 19 and obviously my guardian. I was SO upset as I had been waiting for that movie for at least 2 years after hearing about it. After much arguing, they let me see it. Was a huge fan of the original and had been on a steady diet of Dark Horse Terminator comics. I was invested.

The movie did not disappoint and over delivered. Amazing!
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
    Reference to above, thanks for posting the new Alien poster. Fingers crossed on this one. While Alien 3 is not a classic, there are some interesting things about it. But I will never forgive the screen writers for killing off Michael Biehn during the credits!!!

Loved that dude. Was so excited when I saw he was going to be in The Rock, and then 30 minutes in, my hopes dashed.

Would have loved to see that Blomkampf sequel just for Hicks and Ripley, but to be honest I’ve lost a bit of faith in him as a director. Still would have watched the hell out of that.

Alien and Aliens are my absolute favorites. Having met Ripley herself on one occasion, Sigourney is awesome!  If you are a fan, highly recommend the two coffee table book size Making of books on those two movies. Stunning. Tons of info, pics, and background on the two projects.
    I’m guessing the original release was in 35 mm? I saw it back on ‘91 while on vacation with my sister at her boyfriend’s house. We all went out to see it and they tried to not let me in, even though my sister was 19 and obviously my guardian. I was SO upset as I had been waiting for that movie for at least 2 years after hearing about it. After much arguing, they let me see it. Was a huge fan of the original and had been on a steady diet of Dark Horse Terminator comics. I was invested.

The movie did not disappoint and over delivered. Amazing!
    Yes 35mm was obviously the standard. But also 70mm showings existed in e.g. the US. I asked the 70mm festival in Copenhagen to locate one of those copies and show the film at their festival. FINGERS CROSSED.

Cool to hear you story! I saw it first in VHS here in Sweden, so must have been in 1992. And I was 7-8 years old.
    I remember it very well. 

My mom used to get films on VHS cassettes copied off the TV from my aunt that had "movie channels". Me and my brothers had put on one of those cassettes and seen a bit of a big shoot out scene in a big city. 

We asked my mom if we could watch the whole film. She thought we were talking about Terminator 2 which she has just bought on VHS (the film we had seen was Predator 2 I realized years later) and argued with my dad if we would be allowed to watch it. My mom won. We got to see it. With her fastforwarding through the more horrific things in it.

We later watched it like at least once a week for several years.

Reference to above, thanks for posting the new Alien poster. Fingers crossed on this one. While Alien 3 is not a classic, there are some interesting things about it. But I will never forgive the screen writers for killing off Michael Biehn during the credits!!!

Loved that dude. Was so excited when I saw he was going to be in The Rock, and then 30 minutes in, my hopes dashed.

Would have loved to see that Blomkampf sequel just for Hicks and Ripley, but to be honest I’ve lost a bit of faith in him as a director. Still would have watched the hell out of that.

Alien and Aliens are my absolute favorites. Having met Ripley herself on one occasion, Sigourney is awesome!  If you are a fan, highly recommend the two coffee table book size Making of books on those two movies. Stunning. Tons of info, pics, and background on the two projects.
    I prefer Alien 3 over Aliens. I think it is more true to the original one. I think Aliens looks kind of dodgy and doesn't seem to be directed by the same type of perfectionist as Alien and Alien 3. Alien 3 has flaws obviously, but it is a striking vision. Even with Aliens having impressive stuff, it looks dodgy in places. And I imagine many fall for the B-movie charm of it, I think it feels so cheap compared to the first one. Or the third.
    edited July 2023
    Kodak-videon on Oppenheimer.

https://youtu.be/aHuDh3FdJG0
    I’m definitely Aliens over number 3. Maybe I’m swayed by the behind the scenes stress with the studio and Fincher.  I did enjoy watching the assembly cut of Alien 3. I wish Fincher had participated, but understand why he didn’t want to.

Funny you mentioned B movies as Cameron was coming off of working directly with Roger Corman, the B movie king! 😂 

I feel like the effects on the queen are pretty stunning. And I always love Michael Biehn, Lance Henrickson, and of course, Mr. Bill Paxton. He is definitely the shit. Or for you Weird Science freaks, the Chit! 😜 

As a super nerd here. I love Dark Horse Comics’s first 3 volumes of Aliens comics, especially the first two volumes. They are a direct sequel to Aliens, with Hicks and Newt as the main characters. First volume dealt with Earth, Weyland corporation, and the consequences of trying to monetize/weaponize the aliens. It did not end well. Good stuff.

BARBIE ON WEDNESDAY! If you dress in pink you get 25% off popcorn, candy, soda etc. 

IF THERE IS ONE TIME YOU SHOULD GET POPCORN IT IS NOW
    I’m definitely Aliens over number 3. Maybe I’m swayed by the behind the scenes stress with the studio and Fincher.  I did enjoy watching the assembly cut of Alien 3. I wish Fincher had participated, but understand why he didn’t want to.

Funny you mentioned B movies as Cameron was coming off of working directly with Roger Corman, the B movie king! 😂 

I feel like the effects on the queen are pretty stunning. And I always love Michael Biehn, Lance Henrickson, and of course, Mr. Bill Paxton. He is definitely the shit. Or for you Weird Science freaks, the Chit! 😜 

As a super nerd here. I love Dark Horse Comics’s first 3 volumes of Aliens comics, especially the first two volumes. They are a direct sequel to Aliens, with Hicks and Newt as the main characters. First volume dealt with Earth, Weyland corporation, and the consequences of trying to monetize/weaponize the aliens. It did not end well. Good stuff.

Hmm.. Never read the comics. I think I have a graphic novel-version of ALIENS. Following the film's plot. 

Alien 3 is just such a good looking movie. And you have all these british actors acting with such authority (like the actors did in the first film) instead of everyone being "Breakfast Club"-goofy like in Aliens. 

But whatever. Their idea of putting the films in the hands of "artists" were pretty cool. Inlcuding part 4. This obviously stopped with AvP.
    Definitely a wonderful visual film. Fincher is really great at that. Totally agree. It’s interesting to read all of the development that went into the different scripts before this final version. There was the one with the wooden planet and the monks.
    Definitely a wonderful visual film. Fincher is really great at that. Totally agree. It’s interesting to read all of the development that went into the different scripts before this final version. There was the one with the wooden planet and the monks.
    Renny Harlins take will always be missed.
    This trailer doesn't give much that the teaser didn't. But I will see the film and finish the trilogy

https://youtu.be/LAywaWCFXgw
    Funny thing. I saw this trailer and did not know about the movie prior. Thought, oh another light horror movie. Huh, that’s weird. I guess Branagh is going to be dressed/talk like Poroit In every movie now?  

Then, my buddy told me it’s another Agatha movie. Man, they really bury that in the marketing.
    Funny thing. I saw this trailer and did not know about the movie prior. Thought, oh another light horror movie. Huh, that’s weird. I guess Branagh is going to be dressed/talk like Poroit In every movie now?  

Then, my buddy told me it’s another Agatha movie. Man, they really bury that in the marketing.
    Yeah. I'm intrigued though. Wasn't a fan of his two former films. But I do find the 70s Death on the Nile to be great.
    edited July 2023
    Trailer is showing in theatres as we speak.
    Seems that test screenings has been luke warm.
    David Gordon Greens Halloweens trilogy was bafflingly bad and misguided. 

The poster just arrived:

Exorcist III is amazing. If anyone hasn't seen it. With George C. Scott going crazy.
  • Trailer is showing in theatres as we speak.

The poster just arrived:

Exorcist III is amazing. If anyone hasn't seen it. With George C. Scott going crazy.
    EIII is one of the movies that still gives me the creeps.  Really good.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

The poster just arrived:

Just saw the trailer for this. Hopefully it’s good. You aren’t kidding about his Halloween. First one I liked. Second was worse. Third was absolutely ridiculous.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787

The poster just arrived:

EIII is one of the movies that still gives me the creeps.  Really good.  
    When I was in college a friend of mine thought it would be fun to take some acid and watch the Exorcist. It wasn’t. 
  • Ha.  I watched Time Bandits one time, doing that.  Jacob's Ladder, another.
    One should be wandering around, outside, while doing that.  Avoiding movies and mirrors, imo.  :lol: 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    edited July 2023
    Ha.  I watched Time Bandits one time, doing that.  Jacob's Ladder, another.
    One should be wandering around, outside, while doing that.  Avoiding movies and mirrors, imo.  :lol: 
    Mirrors are the worst. But one time we did watch Spinal Tap and laughed so hard that when the credits rolled we rewound it and watched it all over again. 
    edited July 2023
    edited July 2023
    There have been too many exorcist movies to make a new exorcist movie EVEN BEING THE OFFICIAL ORIGINAL BRAND exciting. 

Would have loves to see a movie following the 73 one with oroginal cast coming back. But I don’t think having young girls being possessed is the answer on how to do it exciting. 
    A sequel for 2025 has already been greenlit. Apparently another trilogy.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,812
    i heard the actual woman possesed in the trailer is to throw everyone off, its gonna actually be Jonah from " This is the End"

A SAAB in Spain car chase in Mission: Impossible 2