Options

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,957
edited June 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
I know there are some threads that cover this, but they are old. So I started a new one. What are your plans for your summer vacation?

I’m heading to Costa Rica for 9 days in mid July. I can’t wait. I have been there once before. It is beautiful. We got an ocean view room and my plan is to relax on the beach, go to the pool, eat good food, and have some drinks. My vacations are usually renting a car and road tripping through whatever country I am in. This time I am staying still. I will probably go zip lining and also spend a day in Tamarindo, but otherwise it is all about chilling. 

What are you all up to this summer?
Post edited by GlowGirl on

Comments

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    Well, we hit the early part of our year in the keys and a week in San Francisco. Different summer trip for us, we are driving from Chicago to New York to move my son who is starting work on July 5 in Manhattan. We are visiting schools for my daughter on a few days in NYC and then driving up to Boston to see a few more schools and a couple old friends. Gonna be a great adventure for us all!
  • Options
    Well, we hit the early part of our year in the keys and a week in San Francisco. Different summer trip for us, we are driving from Chicago to New York to move my son who is starting work on July 5 in Manhattan. We are visiting schools for my daughter on a few days in NYC and then driving up to Boston to see a few more schools and a couple old friends. Gonna be a great adventure for us all!
    Sounds amazing. If you need any NYC tips or suggestions, send me a PM. 
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,908
    Headed to Savannah next week for a week, otherwise some shows in town and maybe a cabin trip or 2.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    Right now the only the only thing my wife and I have planned is going to the Toronto Aquarium this Tuesday coming up. We have never been before. Then we have our Chicago trip in September to see PJ.
    We end up doing most of our travel in winter months to somewhere warmer than here lol.
    My wife and I have been talking about checking out Costa Rica sometime in near future. Have heard good things. Can't wait to here how your trip goes @GlowGirl Enjoy your vacation!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    We took our baby girl on a road trip to & through Texas a couple of weeks ago to meet some of our family and best friends. It was a fun week-long trip. 

My wife is taking me to Vegas next week for my bday & we always have fun there, so I'm looking forward to that. It'll be our first trip without the kiddo, so it'll be pretty quick.

Heading to the lake for a week with my whole family towards the end of next month, then heading to Colorado in August.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    We are going to Maui next Friday for a week.

We go every summer because my wife moderates a medical conference held at the Hyatt Regency.

Usually lay out for a few hours each day, eat nice meals, etc.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
    2 more quick trips to Colorado
    A few days in Bozeman/Yellowstone/Jackson
    Chi/FW/Austin
  • Options
    I am heading to Charleston, SC in a few hours. I have never been there. My sister had a big bday last week and she decided to take a bday trip there so I am meeting up with her and our mom. It will be hot but fun. I think we are going to one of their island beaches one of the days. My sister put together a whole itinerary. Looking forward to the food. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    GlowGirl said:
    I am heading to Charleston, SC in a few hours. I have never been there. My sister had a big bday last week and she decided to take a bday trip there so I am meeting up with her and our mom. It will be hot but fun. I think we are going to one of their island beaches one of the days. My sister put together a whole itinerary. Looking forward to the food. 
    My daughter and her kids moved to Charleston last year. I have only been once so far, but it was pretty cool. We took the girls down to the harbor and could see dolphins swimming. We ate lunch at Rodney Scott's BBQ. If you like BBQ give it a try.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    We have been mostly been hanging around our area so far, letting my wife recharge her batteries after a particularly stressful school year as a high school special education teacher. We did take a quick trip to Cincinnati to go see The Pixies. We are thinking of doing something in early August before school starts up again, but haven't made any concrete plans. 
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,642
    I kicked the summer off w/a trip to Denver in June to go to Red Rocks where I meet up w/some old friends and spent the night doing yoga and dancing w/Michael Franti.
    Surreal

In Aug I fly to Bozeman and then up near Glacier for a week in a sweet Air BnB  house w/ friends from Durango. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    Nice outfits. Way to live life!! Enjoy it all :)

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    My daughter and her kids moved to Charleston last year. I have only been once so far, but it was pretty cool. We took the girls down to the harbor and could see dolphins swimming. We ate lunch at Rodney Scott's BBQ. If you like BBQ give it a try.
    We ate lunch at Rodney Scott's today. It was amazing. Now I am at the airport with an hour flight delay to JFK. Let's hope that an hour is all it is.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    URthekey said:
    I kicked the summer off w/a trip to Denver in June to go to Red Rocks where I meet up w/some old friends and spent the night doing yoga and dancing w/Michael Franti.
    Surreal

In Aug I fly to Bozeman and then up near Glacier for a week in a sweet Air BnB  house w/ friends from Durango. 

woah, that looks really cool!

I don't have anything planned this summer. I'm too lame (and poor). Maybe visit my mom and sister in upstate New York for a few days. Also some local concerts or a day trip somewhere close by. That's about it. :neutral:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,866
    URthekey said:
    Surreal

woah, that looks really cool!

I don't have anything planned this summer. I'm too lame (and poor). Maybe visit my mom and sister in upstate New York for a few days. Also some local concerts or a day trip somewhere close by. That's about it. :neutral:
    Not lame. I'm looking for magic in my backyard. Harvesting wild berries, finding golden trout & treasure by the riverside. Watched a young eagle fledge and adults dance in the wind. Spotted a swimming black bear, played chicken on an elevated bridge with a coyote, made new friends by the river & gave a one-eyed man a dollar (he wanted my whole wallet!) All within 30 minutes from my house. Spend enough time outside and who knows what will happen.  Cool to get away if you can, but if you can't just slow down to absorb what's around you.

Some dumb sh.t like that.

Grab some picks and setlists @eeriepadave

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    We ate lunch at Rodney Scott's today. It was amazing. Now I am at the airport with an hour flight delay to JFK. Let's hope that an hour is all it is.

They were doing a marathon of old Anthony Bourdain Parts Unkown shows this weekend and I happened to watch the one where he went to Charleston and ate at Rodney Scott's as one of the spots.
    Also hung out at one point with Bill Murray who has a home there and is co-owner of the minor league baseball team. Looks like some great food there.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    We are trekking to Southern California in late August (have done so for a few years), hitting Disneyland and Universal Hollywood. My son is psyched to finally get to go to Super Nintendo World at Universal, been viewing the ongoing construction the last couple years.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,165
    edited July 2023
    Just got back from a 10 day road trip with the family. 2 days in 5 different spots.

Flew to San Diego (zoo, kayak in La Jolla with sea lions), Vegas (hit the dam and Cirque), Zion/Bryce National Parks, Grand Canyon, and Sedona (red rock hiking and jeep tour). Flew back home from Phoenix

Highlight was definitely kayaking with the family and hiking the Narrows at Zion with my son!

Post edited by CarryTheZero on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    Wow. Some cool trips and pictures in here!

We were in Cabo back in March and then went to the Outer Banks in May. In November we are going to Disney World, again, with my wife's family. Looking forward to golfing down there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Just got back from a 10 day road trip with the family. 2 days in 5 different spots.

Flew to San Diego (zoo, kayak in La Jolla with sea lions), Vegas (hit the dam and Cirque), Zion/Bryce National Parks, Grand Canyon, and Sedona (red rock hiking and jeep tour). Flew back home from Phoenix

Highlight was definitely kayaking with the family and hiking the Narrows at Zion with my son!

Beautiful photos. A few years ago I did a 10 day road trip through New Mexico and Arizona. Antelope Canyon was one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. Sedona was awesome as well. We had booked a hot air balloon ride in Sedona. But it was cancelled due to high winds. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,165
    Bummer about the balloon. That wind out west is no joke. We came back a nice rust red color in our hair and clothes after our jeep ride from all that blowing sand.

Would love to do Antelope! I was trying to work it into the itinerary, but it was getting tight. By the end of the 10 days, kids were starting to drag a bit.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    mid July renting a cottage for a week
    mid August renting the same cottage for another week
    family trip to Minneapolis for the Arctic Monkeys (my youngest's favourite band)
    solo trip to Minneapolis the following week for PJ
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Same thing every year August in Tokyo. Going on 18 years straight.  Too hot but the hospitality and food makes up for it.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,683
    edited July 2023
    The road trip was gonna be to see Madonna, front n centre, with only three rows in front of us. I had hoped to impress Pipsqueak with Madonna's artistry, dancing, and costumes so she could compare the experience to the younger female vocalists, Olivia Rodriguez and B. Eilish, she saw last year.

Of course, my daughter's concert experiences may never top her playing the tambourine alongside Pearl Jam at Ohana, with a version of Rockin in the Free World promoting female reproductive rights, but Lady M would have given PJ a run for their money... oh well, reschedule it is...

https://youtu.be/p1nN9zNM7uw
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Have fun in Maui again JJJ (we caught Waikiki waves in the spring!), enjoy the ocean break GG, congrats on the kiddo n kiddo vacay MFC, lucky u taking the boy to Mario, Ponce! Hughdarlin, remember a couple years back some new EV music had come out which inspired you to write at the cottage? Have fun strumming!

Happy summer, everyone! We're having a great season in my tourist town and I can't think of too many other places I'd rather be.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    tish said:
    Have fun in Maui again JJJ (we caught Waikiki waves in the spring!), enjoy the ocean break GG, congrats on the kiddo n kiddo vacay MFC, lucky u taking the boy to Mario, Ponce! Hughdarlin, remember a couple years back some new EV music had come out which inspired you to write at the cottage? Have fun strumming!

Happy summer, everyone! We're having a great season in my tourist town and I can't think of too many other places I'd rather be.
    how in the world do you remember that? wow!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2023

I just do. Would have loved to have been there at your feet listening...

Enjoy your time with your friends n families!
  • Options

View from my hotel balcony. The wifi sucks but the ocean is really warm. So I am very happy right now. 
  • Options
    Fabulous. U deserve it prof!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,835
    URthekey said:
    Surreal

Glacier is my favorite place so far. And Durango may be the area I spend my retirement in. Have a blast!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory