Options

The down side of solar farms

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    brianlux said:

Ingenious and kudos for alternative energy but (sorry L) imagine scores of these big undulating metal and plastic devices floating on the ocean.  I don't even like to think about it.  I don't think sacrificing the aesthetics of something as beautiful as the waves on the ocean is worth whatever gains in energy we might gain.
    Covering existing infrastructure with solar panels makes sense.  But covering whats left of the natural world- be it desert, savanna, ocean, etc.- that seems like a horrible idea to me.  There is so little left of this planet.  Let's not cover what remains with more plastic and metal.

Bri, it was a Pearl Jam reference ;)

Please enjoy this inspirational video from the spaceman drummer tour.

https://youtu.be/LcMvhv1rIJw

Oops, sorry!  Can't go wrong with a little PJ!
    And thanks for that ultra cool video!  Great song, great rendition, really nice quality video, and I love Mike's TV Yellow P-90 soapbar Les Paul Special.  Sweet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ingenious and kudos for alternative energy but (sorry L) imagine scores of these big undulating metal and plastic devices floating on the ocean.  I don't even like to think about it.  I don't think sacrificing the aesthetics of something as beautiful as the waves on the ocean is worth whatever gains in energy we might gain.
    Covering existing infrastructure with solar panels makes sense.  But covering whats left of the natural world- be it desert, savanna, ocean, etc.- that seems like a horrible idea to me.  There is so little left of this planet.  Let's not cover what remains with more plastic and metal.

Bri, it was a Pearl Jam reference ;)

Please enjoy this inspirational video from the spaceman drummer tour.

https://youtu.be/LcMvhv1rIJw

Oops, sorry!  Can't go wrong with a little PJ!
    And thanks for that ultra cool video!  Great song, great rendition, really nice quality video, and I love Mike's TV Yellow P-90 soapbar Les Paul Special.  Sweet!

Very cool, I did not know that!

Regarding the challenge of renewable energy, it requires a lot more space than fossil fuel power generation, so we may need to have some uglier infrastructure amongst the waves. We went on vaca to cape cod for the first time a few weeks ago, and right before going over the canal to get there, we saw many giant windmills. It’s starting to become the norm in remote areas.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/renewables-land-use-and-local-opposition-in-the-united-states/

“Wind and solar generation require at least 10 times as much land per unit of power produced than coal- or natural gas-fired power plants, including land disturbed to produce and transport the fossil fuels. Additionally, wind and solar generation are located where the resource availability is best instead of where is most convenient for people and infrastructure, since their “fuel” can’t be transported like fossil fuels. Siting of wind facilities is especially challenging. Modern wind turbines are huge; most new turbines being installed in the United States today are the height of a 35-story building. Wind resources are best in open plains and on ridgetops, locations where the turbines can be seen for long distances.”
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mickeyrat said:
    I'll counter with the upside. Private build. Over asphalt. Relieves pressure on the grid there.
    This is in Saugus.  Very good of them.  Supposedly when they built that place it was riddled with rattlesnakes and they brought in a bunch of California Kings to help out with that.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    brianlux said:

Brian my old mentor came up with an idea to put these "igloos" under the water and turbines would run from the current.  Since the current is always moving these things would be constantly running.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    brianlux said:

Brian my old mentor came up with an idea to put these "igloos" under the water and turbines would run from the current.  Since the current is always moving these things would be constantly running.

Assuming they are built to protect sea creatures, that sounds like a much better plan!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.