A backwards show, anyone?

2»

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,812
    igotid88 said:
    I was thinking something totally different 

One song to the front and the rest to the back?

Eddie: "We'll be right back. We gotta play one for the front!"
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    igotid88 said:

No. Singing the songs backwards 
    I miss igotid88
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    igotid88 said:
    Boom on vocals? Stone on drums? Eddie on the B3?
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

No. Singing the songs backwards 
    There is a frank zappa song that is recorded backwards. I thought it was another language til I read the liner notes. Monty pythonesque. On 'them or us'. 
    igotid88 said:

Obviously Eddie was the drummer in Citizen Dick, Stone and Jeff swap...there's all sorts of swapping in Gigaton...

But didn't Eddie play drums for a real show way back when?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Eddie is the new Foo drummer. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    igotid88 said:

Obviously Eddie was the drummer in Citizen Dick, Stone and Jeff swap...there's all sorts of swapping in Gigaton...

Played in Hoovercraft. Not sure if that counts.
  • Seeing Porch open a show would be pretty great just because you wouldn’t know what the rest of the night holds.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,341
    I don't know about "backwards," but I would love to see them mix things up a bit in terms of the most commonly played songs. Play "Alive" early in the set. Play "Even Flow" in the encore. Open with "Porch." That sort of thing. Usually, the first moment when I feel a letdown of excitement is when they kick into "Even Flow" at song 8-10 like clockwork. I feel like I'd enjoy it more at the end because the fact that I don't want the show to end might overcome my lack of desire to ever hear it played live again. And "Alive" in the encore has become very perfunctory. Maybe doing it early would get Ed to put more into it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    BF25394 said:
    I don't know about "backwards," but I would love to see them mix things up a bit in terms of the most commonly played songs. Play "Alive" early in the set. Play "Even Flow" in the encore. Open with "Porch." That sort of thing. Usually, the first moment when I feel a letdown of excitement is when they kick into "Even Flow" at song 8-10 like clockwork. I feel like I'd enjoy it more at the end because the fact that I don't want the show to end might overcome my lack of desire to ever hear it played live again. And "Alive" in the encore has become very perfunctory. Maybe doing it early would get Ed to put more into it.
    I've thought the same about Even Flow for a long while now. Think it would be killer as the last song of the set or last song before Yellow Ledbetter.
    Loujoe said:
    igotid88 said:

Played in Hoovercraft. Not sure if that counts.

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.
    BF25394 said:

Some of those European shows from the 2000 tour were different. It really wasn't until the last night of that tour when Alive took its place at the end of the night.

The 2013-2018 shows were extremely stale in some regards. Even Flow in spot 8-12, RVM and Porch to go to the breaks and then Alive, a cover or two and YL to end the night.

I do like when they start off with a slow song, but I don't think I'm a fan of every night having 4-5 slow ones. Keep that for special events like the Gorge, Fenway 2016, etc. "Sunset music for Tom Petty" and all that.
    edited May 2023
    pjhawks said:
    BF25394 said:
    I've thought the same about Even Flow for a long while now. Think it would be killer as the last song of the set or last song before Yellow Ledbetter.

Imagine this:
    Usual Cover I (RIFTW, Kick Out The Jams, Crazy Mary)
    Alive
    Even Flow/Last Kiss back to back 
    YLed
    Falling Down, Out Of My Mind... something REALLY mind-blowing to reward those who stayed.

How many people would leave when Mike started YLed immediately after Even Flow? IIRC, it's even the same guitar which is absolutely mind-blowing.

Give the fans an absolute shit-stinker of an ending...and then a real treat for those who stay.

Downside: People would be pissed.
    Neutral: They'd be pissed at themselves.
    Upside: The comment section.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on