I Was In A Mass Shooting And It Changed Me Forever.

cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,634
edited April 2023 in The Porch
I'm taking a risk here. But this risk isn't greater than the ones I took on 7.4.22.

I was in a mass shooting. I was the Co-Chair of the Highland Park, IL Independence Day Parade when a man opened fire and killed 7 innocent people.

Was the worst day of my life.

Needless to say, it changed me in ways I never thought possible. You can't imagine.

"It's OK."

Nevertheless, I'm doing something about it.

A friend of mine (Todd Blyleven) who sadly was in the Las Vegas shooting and I have teamed with an amazing Doctor of Psychology from New York and created The Walking Tall Movement. Here we hope to inspire all people to Walk Tall by showing strength in vulnerability while discussing mental health. 

Check us out. 
www.walkingtallmovement.com

You can also see some cool PJ related mental health content on my LinkedIn. Here is an example of a post I made today about "Jeremy."

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/chris-maliszewski-cprp-20190061_walktall-pearljam-mentalhealth-activity-7055511508780253184-fdXx?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android

If you need to talk please reach out. You are not alone. 

If you wish to know more about The Walking Tall Movement please reach out. 

Hope to see you all in August and September on the road. 

Walk Tall! 

Post edited by cmalisze on

Comments

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,013
    Good luck with everything.  I work in a school and I hope I never have to relate. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    Whoa sorry to hear about your ordeal but what your doing really shows how to turn such a horrible situation into a positive one! I commend you I’m sure your movement will help folks in need 🙏🙏
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,634
    CopperTom said:
    Good luck with everything.  I work in a school and I hope I never have to relate. 
    I also hope you never have to. Shootings aside we all can relate to the mental health crisis in America. Being vulnerable is being strong. Walk Tall!
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,596
    @cmalisze is a good dude, and we need more things like this across the country🙌
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,931
    Sorry you had to go through that.  I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been. Thank you for sharing and doing something great to help.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• steven87steven87 Posts: 1,441
    I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to go through something like that. But thank you for all that you’re doing to help people who’ve been through similar situations. 
    Whoa sorry to hear about your ordeal but what your doing really shows how to turn such a horrible situation into a positive one! I commend you I’m sure your movement will help folks in need 🙏🙏
    Thank you.  Please check us out and share us as much as possible! 
    Go Animal said:
    @cmalisze is a good dude, and we need more things like this across the country🙌
    We need a lot of things in this country and kindness and vulnerability are just a few. Join us! 
    on2legs said:
    Sorry you had to go through that.  I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been. Thank you for sharing and doing something great to help.  
    Thank you for your words. Please visit us and check out our podcast. It's step 1 in the movement. 
    steven87 said:
    I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to go through something like that. But thank you for all that you’re doing to help people who’ve been through similar situations. 
    You can't imagine and that is ok. We intend to show all people they are not alone no matter the issue. Please keep sharing us and our movement. We need help! Walk Tall!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Big ups, support & hugs all around. I have worked with survivors of mass shootings in my practice. There’s healing to be found. Thanks for turning your trauma into advocacy. ❤️
    www.cluthelee.com
    Big ups, support & hugs all around. I have worked with survivors of mass shootings in my practice. There’s healing to be found. Thanks for turning your trauma into advocacy. ❤️
    I'd love to learn more about your practice. Message me. Many ways we can help each other. Let's discover them!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    God bless
    hrd2imgn said:
    God bless
    Thank you.  Please check out our podcast. That's the first step in our movement. We have lots of work to do. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    One step and day at a time!
    hrd2imgn said:
    One step and day at a time!
    That's what I've heard. And I am trying. But we have work to do. People to let know they're not alone. No matter what. 
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,407
    Thank you for your efforts to bring people together to talk about our vulnerabilities with the goal of uplifting our communities. 
    BF89905 said:
    Thank you for your efforts to bring people together to talk about our vulnerabilities with the goal of uplifting our communities. 
    You eloquently summed up our overall intent. Thank you.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,157
    This is so cool. My gf is a mental healthcare worker, and we're stoked to learn more. Thank you for sharing, and walking. 
    3days said:
    This is so cool. My gf is a mental healthcare worker, and we're stoked to learn more. Thank you for sharing, and walking. 
    Thank you for valuing. I would LOVE her feedback. We have big goals to achieve and feedback is critical. Walk Tall!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    Never underestimate trauma. I've been caught up in a terrorist bomb ,lost a child and of course like most lost loved ones and it never leaves you. Keep up the good work o.p
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Never underestimate trauma. I've been caught up in a terrorist bomb ,lost a child and of course like most lost loved ones and it never leaves you. Keep up the good work o.p
    Let's talk. I'd love to hear your story. You just sharing that small bit is exactly Walking Tall. 
    Ah man I suffer till this day with chronic health anxiety that has ruined my life. And I mean ruined. I live in constant fear. Addictions come easy. I really believe somethings I can't come back from. 
    Well done for opening a space where it's ok to not be ok. Strength can be many kinds of things. For me it's a daily walk to school with my 5 year old if that's all I do I feel like I've not let her down .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144
    I am very sorry to hear Cmalisze… I hope the Walking Tall Movement will help a lot of people.
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144

Ah man I suffer till this day with chronic health anxiety that has ruined my life. And I mean ruined. I live in constant fear. Addictions come easy. I really believe somethings I can't come back from. 
    Well done for opening a space where it's ok to not be ok. Strength can be many kinds of things. For me it's a daily walk to school with my 5 year old if that's all I do I feel like I've not let her down .
    Hang in there bud! From our interaction, I know you are a great parent!

Thank you. Seriously when push comes to shove that's all that really matters. To be the person your child looks up to is all we can hope. I have 3 adult kids who constantly tell me I'm a good person that in its self is massive.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This is beautiful.  You're super strong. Walking Tall! DM me! 
    I am very sorry to hear Cmalisze… I hope the Walking Tall Movement will help a lot of people.
    We are as only good as much as we are shared. Please give us feedback and share! 

Thank you. Seriously when push comes to shove that's all that really matters. To be the person your child looks up to is all we can hope. I have 3 adult kids who constantly tell me I'm a good person that in its self is massive.
    I think we are only as good as those that learn from us. Walking Tall, Dad! 

Kindness is free. Amazing.