Options

Atlanta 2024

Comments

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,133
    Kevinman said:
    What are the best places here for:

-Sub sandwich: Sub of Subs in Duluth. Tiny place. Great wings and sandwiches. My favorite is the bulgogi cheesesteak.

Burgers: Vortex is great, only 21 and up if you have kids though.  Other options are Farm Burger, Local 7 in Tucker, Ted’s Montana Ranch is actually not bad (get the bison burger). Go to the Collegiate in Gainesville. Old school 50s style burger joint. It’s about that old too.

Steak: hmm, not sure I’m the best to ask. Stony River on Medlock Bridge used to be great, Morton’s or Ruth Chris is always an option, otherwise Chops or Bones in Buckhead used to be good, just haven’t been in a long time. Also, Fogo de Chao (Brazilian style steakhouse, all you can eat, killer salad bar, not cheap!).

Pizza: Antico is a solid choice. Also, hit Gio’s Chicken right next door. You can bring the pizza over as well.
    O4W in Duluth has killer Detroit style pizzas as well as a thin crust Grandma pie. Really good!
    Family favorite is Shorty’s in Tucker. Wood fired pizzas, crazy combinations named for musicians. We absolutely love it.

Bbq: Fox Bros is legit good.
    Das has great brisket.
    for ribs, I love Fat Matt’s, plus you get a free blues concert on weekends.
    Community BBQ in Decatur is good, great hot links, ribs, and Mac n cheese.
    Also, Old Brick Pit BBq is old fashioned but really good.
    Went to Local 7 in Tucker over the weekend.  Great food, thanks for the recommendation.  Also while I was there, they played Crazy Mary and some Temple of the Dog.
    Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. Awesome music! Love getting tater tots with my burger and some buffalo sauce for dipping.
  • Options
    gtwake360gtwake360 Posts: 16
    Nice! What year is that?
    1998. Also at Lakewood.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,928
    I love the Peaches theme from the 2012 PJ Atlanta poster.  If we ever get another show, I hope the poster has a local theme.  Several great options to pick from. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    That peaches theme is a beauty. Yeah, another local theme would be great! The whole state has a rich musical history, so many scenes (Athens, hip hop) and artists to choose from! Not to mention history.
  • Options
    @Kevinman, I forgot to add Savage Pizza to the list down in Little Five Points. Good pizza and cool place (especially if you love comic books). They have a great bbq pizza with Fox Bros bbq on it.

If you are down there, hit up Wax N Facts and Criminal Records for your vinyl needs!
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    @Kevinman, I forgot to add Savage Pizza to the list down in Little Five Points. Good pizza and cool place (especially if you love comic books). They have a great bbq pizza with Fox Bros bbq on it.

If you are down there, hit up Wax N Facts and Criminal Records for your vinyl needs!
    👍🏻Thanks!
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905

Pic I took last year in St Louis
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    Nice shot! He’s still got the jumps!
  • Options
    Here is one at the very end of St. Louis. Ed had hung a big hug on Jeff!

• Options
    MM70435MM70435 Posts: 244
    Okay, Pearl Jam! New Atlanta memory!

2003, Lakewood Amphitheater: This is post Bu$hleaguer troubles in upstate New York.

Ed notices during Porch that some interesting characters are in the crowd. So he invites up his friends George W., George W., George W., and his other friend George W. to see if he can get some support from the president. 4 dudes in George W masks all come on stage to hold up Ed while he lays on his back to sing out the last chorus of Porch! Pretty awesome! And no boos regarding the W masks and witty comments from Ed!

Also, Ed makes an awesome plea for more funding for teachers. LOVE IT!

Come on boys, come back in 2024!
    It was actually pre Bus$hleaguer troubles in New York.  Date of this Atlanta show was 4/19/03.  Uniondale, NY was not until 4/30/03.  It was more of post Bu$hleaguer troubles in Denver.  It was after the first US tour stop in Denver that the media made such a big deal about initially.  Anyway it was a great show but my 10C # was so bad at the time I was three rows from the back row of the large amphitheater.  I now get great seats with 10C and wondered what happened to all those people that were in front of me then.  I have now found out many are still fans and still go but they let their membership lapse at some point.

I remember the witty comment from ED.  "That's the first time there has been cocaine backstage at a Pearl Jam concert".
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct! Nice catch. 👍 Forgot about Denver. I was in the same boat with you and had seats way back in the rows. Get much better seats now.

Cocaine backstage gave me a big laugh, too!
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    MM70435 said:
    Anyway it was a great show but my 10C # was so bad at the time I was three rows from the back row of the large amphitheater.  I now get great seats with 10C and wondered what happened to all those people that were in front of me then.  I have now found out many are still fans and still go but they let their membership lapse at some point.
    I was in section 203 just beyond the cover of the amphitheatre, sort of center right. If I remember correctly, I was sitting just before the cover to the right of the soundboard which was several rows to the front. I had let my membership lapse before the show but re-upped once I heard they were touring and have kept my membership from lapsing since. It was a great night.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    MM70435 said:
    Anyway it was a great show but my 10C # was so bad at the time I was three rows from the back row of the large amphitheater.  I now get great seats with 10C and wondered what happened to all those people that were in front of me then.  I have now found out many are still fans and still go but they let their membership lapse at some point.
    I was in section 203 just beyond the cover of the amphitheatre, sort of center right. If I remember correctly, I was sitting just before the cover to the right of the soundboard which was several rows to the front. I had let my membership lapse before the show but re-upped once I heard they were touring and have kept my membership from lapsing since. It was a great night.
    Ed did have to ask someone to take down a huge American Flag because it was blocking the view of folks behind it. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    At the 2003 show, didn't Ed talk about seeing a bumper sticker on the back of a truck on the way to the show - and then made a reference about a local serial killer on the loose?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Yes he did! I remember thinking that was a weird anecdote.
  • Options
    "While you're honking, I'm reloading." was the phrase on the bumper sticker that Ed was talking about. 

• Options
    Yikes! Yes, that’s correct. Sounds like some spots from north Georgia I’ve driven through.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    JojoRice said:
    "While you're honking, I'm reloading." was the phrase on the bumper sticker that Ed was talking about. 
    haha - that's the one! What a show! So many great memories. I just wish I hadn't gone with my now ex-wife 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options

I was meaning to post this a few days when a few were showing off their Atlanta posters. I just began learning how to cut mat a few months ago for this purpose specifically. It bums me out that I have been collecting PJ posters for 25 years and only have 3 posters from Atlanta (should be four because of the nixed Atlanta 2000 poster but, at that price, no thanks!).
  • Options
    matt3846matt3846 Atlanta Posts: 153

I was meaning to post this a few days when a few were showing off their Atlanta posters. I just began learning how to cut mat a few months ago for this purpose specifically. It bums me out that I have been collecting PJ posters for 25 years and only have 3 posters from Atlanta (should be four because of the nixed Atlanta 2000 poster but, at that price, no thanks!).

Fantastic collection! Great job on the self framing! I’ve got those 98 and 03 ATLs also… still not up on the wall after all these years.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Those are amazing! Love that Spawn poster in the middle (big comic nerd).

Wasn’t into posters yet so I don’t have an ‘03, although would love one!  I do have those Munk Ones for Atl and Charlotte. Nice!
  • Options
    Thanks! I began collecting on a whim and have mostly kept it to just shows I've attended (though, also as comic book nerd, I couldn't pass up the Copenhagen Spawn) so I don't have very many. Not photoed and will eventually frame are Hershey 03, Asheville 04, Columbia 08, the Music Midtown Owl poster from 2012, and Greenville 16. 
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,080
    Yikes! Yes, that’s correct. Sounds like some spots from north Georgia I’ve driven through.
    I think those ppl live behind me 😆 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,201
    Hi all, I’m new to the Atlanta thread, and not a local.  My comments:

1) Agree there should be party @lmckenney24

2) Best post was 3 hour drive from Atlanta to Atlanta.  I don’t live there, but have been there, and I get that. 

Honorable mention to the bumper sticker.  

3) Don’t know if the Play Minnesota thread really had anything to do with the choice of Minnesota but if it did how cool is that.  

4) ATL is a very good logistical choice for people to travel to due to the fact that just about everywhere has direct flights.

So I’m in.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Thanks! I began collecting on a whim and have mostly kept it to just shows I've attended (though, also as comic book nerd, I couldn't pass up the Copenhagen Spawn) so I don't have very many. Not photoed and will eventually frame are Hershey 03, Asheville 04, Columbia 08, the Music Midtown Owl poster from 2012, and Greenville 16. 
    Nice! Asheville was another I went to, but of course wasn’t buying posters. I do have Greenville and I bought my sister the Columbia online later. Was on the way there to meet her for the show and my wife had preterm labor with my first kid. Had to turn around and miss the show. Thankfully, all was well and he waited to come till much closer to his due date! 😃 
  • Options
    Nice! Asheville was another I went to, but of course wasn’t buying posters. I do have Greenville and I bought my sister the Columbia online later. Was on the way there to meet her for the show and my wife had preterm labor with my first kid. Had to turn around and miss the show. Thankfully, all was well and he waited to come till much closer to his due date! 😃 
    That's great it all worked out and everything went successfully. There's some interesting symmetry here though, one, it was not as serious for us and, two, I was able to make the show. My wife was supposed to go to Columbia with me but had to back out at the last minute. We had just found out she was pregnant with our first about a month before the show, and she had an awful bout with morning sickness. So much so that she wasn't sure she'd be able to hang. She insisted I go so my friend took her ticket. 
  • Options
    That is interesting! Glad it all worked out. Columbia boot sounds amazing and my sister loved the show. 10C let her have the tickets! 😅 

I missed Inside Job and WMA! Ugh. Caught them in 2016 finally! 
  • Options
    Bump because it's been a few days. 

• Options
    Yes! Got to assess some kindergarteners, but new Atlanta memory later today!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Continuing our campaign to will an Atlanta show into existence, here is another amazing PJ in Atlanta moment, and huge reason to come back to Atlanta, Georgia! Lakewood amphitheater, 1998!

Technically not a memory for me, I was at college in Greenville (went to the ‘98 show at the Bi-Lo center), but see the show above and tune into about the hour twenty mark for Daughter with TWO R.E.M. tags, Talk About the Passion and The Wrong Child!

Photo above is the train trestle in Athens, GA on the back of the essential album, Murmur, R.E.M.’s first full length album! Nice day trip from Atlanta for those who visit!

There is a big friendship over the years between the bands, with Ed even singing on R.E.M.‘s last album.

R.E.M. Is one of the best bands ever and these have to be some of the best Daughter tags ever!

PJ, come on down and cover Texarkana or Near Wild Heaven. I’m sure Mike Mills would drive up from Macon to sing! Or any of the other members stop on by to play!

Let’s make it happen!

Sound off if you were present for this version of Daughter!
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on