Options

Favorite Live Versions of Given To Fly?

giventoflyjbsgiventoflyjbs Posts: 102
edited April 2023 in The Porch
Tomorrow, I am starting the process of getting a full sleeve tattoo based on the lyrics of Given To Fly, which was played at my son's funeral back in 2010 (and one line was included in his obituary). I want to make a playlist to listen to tomorrow while my artist is doing all of the black line work, and I want to make every fifth or so song is a different live version of Given To Fly. I know and love the versions from Inglewood 1998 (from LO2L), St. Louis 2000, and Chicago 2000, but I want to source ideas from the rest of you for other great versions. Thanks in advance!

(...and don't think I've forgotten about your generosity all those years ago, @mfc2006! I still have your old Yield tour shirt with the birds, and both my wife and I have tattoos based on that design. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.)
Post edited by giventoflyjbs on

Comments

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    I always like this one since I was there and was like WTF he's on the shed.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,965
    Beautiful idea. There must be lots of great ones. Best of luck and post the pic of tattoo when it's done 👍
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Indifference said:
    I always like this one since I was there and was like WTF he's on the shed.

Thank you!
  • Options
    Beautiful idea. There must be lots of great ones. Best of luck and post the pic of tattoo when it's done 👍
    Absolutely - will do. Thx!
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    7/11/03 Mansfield.  One of my faves. Back while it was still in it's original tempo and not super sped up
  • Options
    7/11/03 Mansfield.  One of my faves. Back while it was still in it's original tempo and not super sped up
    Thank you!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Tomorrow, I am starting the process of getting a full sleeve tattoo based on the lyrics of Given To Fly, which was played at my son's funeral back in 2010 (and one line was included in his obituary). I want to make a playlist to listen to tomorrow while my artist is doing all of the black line work, and I want to make every fifth or so song is a different live version of Given To Fly. I know and love the versions from Inglewood 1998 (from LO2L), St. Louis 2000, and Chicago 2000, but I want to source ideas from the rest of you for other great versions. Thanks in advance!

(...and don't think I've forgotten about your generosity all those years ago, @mfc2006! I still have your old Yield tour shirt with the birds, and both my wife and I have tattoos based on that design. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.)
    Hey man!! You bet - was happy to do that! Awesome idea for a playlist. The playlist idea is great!

One of my favorites is from Austin 2009. That was my wife's first time seeing PJ and about halfway though the song, she leans in and says "Wow...I get it now. This is amazing!"

Maybe not their best version, but it means a lot to me. Hope y'all are doing well!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Hey man!! You bet - was happy to do that! Awesome idea for a playlist. The playlist idea is great!

One of my favorites is from Austin 2009. That was my wife's first time seeing PJ and about halfway though the song, she leans in and says "Wow...I get it now. This is amazing!"

Maybe not their best version, but it means a lot to me. Hope y'all are doing well!
    Great to hear from you! Thanks for the suggestion of Austin 2009 - I will definitely check it out. Hope all is well with you and your family.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    edited April 2023
    The one with the woman signing (touring band?) was freaking awesome.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, that's St. Louis 2000!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mfc2006 said:

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the suggestion of Austin 2009 - I will definitely check it out. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Thanks! Same to you!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good call! That s an amazing version!! 
    Anything from 98 is stellar.  Try the 98 vault shows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good call! That s an amazing version!! 
    Anything from 98 is stellar.  Try the 98 vault shows.  
    Thank you!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    6th anniversary tomorrow 
    https://youtu.be/cA_JsQLTlhw
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    They're all the same.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I love the pirate radio 98’ version and the SVT version. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I love the pirate radio 98’ version and the SVT version. 
    Good call! Thx!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    1998 live versions when Matt did the fills at the end.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694
    I always loved the manchester 2000 version. Maybe because of how they did the lighting that night. Softer parts were done with no lights on the standing floor. Then as it picked up pace, the lights were turned on with the crowd going crazy, looked like the sea with the waves building into a storm and then all of a sudden, calm again and so on. Loved it
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    KK67764KK67764 Posts: 36
    My favorite is the London Hyde Park from 2010.  The crowd is amazing
  • Options
    CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Opening version from Night 2 at Wrigley 2018.

With the delay, the rain, and the rush to get back to the pit... this version was ELECTRIC.

I still get goosebumps listening to it.  <3  Great idea!
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,551
    Went and watched the R&R HOF one earlier today.  Such a cool moment.

Night 2 at Wrigley is also a favorite.

Love this one from Jones Beach 3, with the slight lyric change "and I still give my love I just give it away..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvybFgoZqc&amp;ab_channel=ruggs1996

• Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,092
    I also agree with the 8-20-18 Wrigley version

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    KK67764 said:
    My favorite is the London Hyde Park from 2010.  The crowd is amazing
    That entire show is 🔥 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    KK67764KK67764 Posts: 36
    London 20210 is total fire...   Elderly Woman is my favorite version!

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    The one with the sign language lady......whenever that was MSG???
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    The one with the sign language lady......whenever that was MSG???
    St. Louis, 2000. I was there, man. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    I concur with Wrigley night 2 in 2018. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 527
    Grand Rapids 5/19/2006
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15