Options

*** the DONALD J TRUMP IS OFFICIALLY A CONVICTED FELON thread ***

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    the vast majority of those 70 mill people just don't vote democrat and never will. it has nothing to do with being in a cult. the cult is a very small fraction, yet incredibly loud fraction, of his base. to say every single one of his voters is in the trump cult is patently absurd. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,431
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,939
    the vast majority of those 70 mill people just don't vote democrat and never will. it has nothing to do with being in a cult. the cult is a very small fraction, yet incredibly loud fraction, of his base. to say every single one of his voters is in the trump cult is patently absurd. 
    Agreed. Republicans voting republicans, republicans endorsing republicans… seems pretty straight forward. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,747
    The voting is just one aspect of the cult like behavior. Some will vote red knowing pretty well the reality of Trump, and they’ll just say it’s still better than having Biden. The cult is completely detached from reality, both with what Trump has done and who he is as a person. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,487
    You can call it what ever you want to me it’s a cult! Terrible humans 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    The voting is just one aspect of the cult like behavior. Some will vote red knowing pretty well the reality of Trump, and they’ll just say it’s still better than having Biden. The cult is completely detached from reality, both with what Trump has done and who he is as a person. 
    Halifax, despite all his childish names and shit, is right. 30%+ of those 70 million are most definitely in a cult. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,019
    edited January 24
    Sure, it’s not a cult and POOTWH is not a cult leader. Just another average repub going about average repub things. Sure.

From Psychology Today:

From my studies of cults and cult leaders during my time in the FBI, I learned early on that there are some things to look for that, at a minimum, say "caution, this individual is dangerous, and in all likelihood will cause harm to others."

Having studied at length the life, teachings, and behaviors of Jim Jones (Jonestown Guyana), David Koresh (Branch Davidians), Stewart Traill (The Church of Bible Understanding), Charles Manson, Shoko Asahara (Aum Shinrikyo), Joseph Di Mambro (The Order of the Solar Temple a.k.a. Ordre du Temple Solaire), Marshall Heff Applewhit (Heaven’s Gate), Bhagwan Rajneesh (Rajneesh Movement), and Warren Jeffs (polygamist leader), I can say that what stands out about these individuals is that they were or are all pathologically narcissistic. They all have or had an over-abundant belief that they were special, that they and they alone had the answers to problems, and that they had to be revered. They demanded perfect loyalty from followers, they overvalued themselves and devalued those around them, they were intolerant of criticism, and above all they did not like being questioned or challenged. And yet, in spite of these less than charming traits, they had no trouble attracting those who were willing to overlook these features.

These personality traits stand out as the first warning to those who would associate with them, but there are many others. Here is a collection of traits of cult leaders that give us hints as to their psychopathology. This list is not all-inclusive nor is it the final word on the subject; it is merely my personal collection based on studies and interviews that I conducted in my previous career.

If you know of a cult leader who has many of these traits there is a high probability that they are hurting those around them emotionally, psychologically, physically, spiritually, or financially. And of course this does not take into account the hurt that their loved ones will also experience.

Here are the typical traits of the pathological cult leader (from Dangerous Personalities) that you should watch for:

1. He has a grandiose idea of who he is and what he can achieve.
    2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, or brilliance.
    3. Demands blind, unquestioned obedience.
    4. Requires excessive admiration from followers and outsiders.
    5. Has a sense of entitlement—expecting to be treated as special at all times.
    6. Is exploitative of others by asking for their money or that of relatives, putting others at financial risk.
    7. Is arrogant and haughty in his behavior or attitude.
    8. Has an exaggerated sense of power (entitlement) that allows him to bend rules and break laws.
    9. Takes sexual advantage of members of his sect or cult.
    10. Sex is a requirement with adults and sub adults as part of a ritual or rite.
    11. Is hypersensitive to how he is seen or perceived by others. 
    12. Publicly devalues others as being inferior, incapable, or not worthy.
    13. Makes members confess their sins or faults, publicly subjecting them to ridicule or humiliationwhile revealing exploitable weaknesses of the penitent.
    14. Has ignored the needs of others, including: biological, physical, emotional, and financial needs.
    15. Is frequently boastful of accomplishments.
    16. Needs to be the center of attention and does things to distract others to ensure that he or she is being noticed, e.g., by arriving late, using exotic clothing, overdramatic speech, or by making theatrical entrances.
    17. Has insisted on always having the best of anything (house, car, jewelry, clothes) even when others are relegated to lesser facilities, amenities, or clothing.
    18. Doesn’t seem to listen well to needs of others; communication is usually one-way, in the form of dictates.
    19. Haughtiness, grandiosity, and the need to be controlling is part of his personality.
    20. Behaves as though people are objects to be used, manipulated or exploited for personal gain.
    21. When criticized he tends to lash out not just with anger but with rage.
    22. Anyone who criticizes or questions him is called an “enemy.”
    23. Refers to non-members or non-believers as “the enemy.”
    24. Acts imperious at times, not wishing to know what others think or desire.
    25. Believes himself to be omnipotent.
    26. Has “magical” answers or solutions to problems.
    27. Is superficially charming.
    28. Habitually puts down others as inferior; only he is superior.
    29. Has a certain coldness or aloofness about him that makes others worry about who this person really is and or whether they really know him.
    30. Is deeply offended when there are perceived signs of boredom, being ignored or of being slighted.
    31. Treats others with contempt and arrogance.
    32. Is constantly assessing people to determine those who are a threat or those who revere him.
    33. The word “I” dominates his conversations. He is oblivious to how often he references himself.
    34. Hates to be embarrassed or fail publicly; when he does he acts out with rage.
    35. Doesn’t seem to feel guilty for anything he has done wrong nor does he apologize for his actions.
    36. Believes he possesses the answers and solutions to world problems.
    37. Believes himself to be a deity or a chosen representative of a deity.
    38. "Rigid," "unbending," or "insensitive" describes how this person thinks.
    39. Tries to control others in what they do, read, view, or think.
    40. Has isolated members of his sect from contact with family or the outside world.
    41. Monitors and/or restricts contact with family or outsiders.
    42. Works the least but demands the most.
    43. Has stated that he is “destined for greatness” or that he will be “martyred.”
    44. Seems to be highly dependent on tribute and adoration and will often fish for compliments.
    45. Uses enforcers or sycophants to ensure compliance from members or believers.
    46. Sees self as “unstoppable” and perhaps has even said so.
    47. Conceals background or family, which would disclose how plain or ordinary he is.
    48. Doesn’t think there is anything wrong with himself and in fact sees himself as perfection or “blessed.”
    49. Has taken away followers' freedom to leave, to travel, to pursue life and liberty.
    50. Has isolated the group physically (moved to a remote area) so as to not be observed.
    Post edited by Kat on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    The field
    I'd argue that while it's not literally a cult, there are some cult-like properties. Members of the hard-core base seem to be generally un-empathic people yet have extreme empathy for Trump himself. The leader can do no wrong. Loyalty to the leader is first-and-foremost (or maybe second to pissing off the libs). They don't care what actually happens to their country or community; just about dunking on the rest of us.

As mentioned in the above post Trump has many characteristics of a cult leader. Does this make all 70 million of his three-time voters members of a cult? Probably not. Never underestimate how many people just vote for the "D" or the "R" and are not all that hung up on the day-to-day things we talk about here. If we ever do have true Trump-brand dictatorship, I'd suspect many of his habitual voters will be legitimately surprised, while the base will excuse every step taken in that direction.

Anyway, it seems like a non-cult with cult-like characteristics. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    OnWis97 said:
    I'd argue that while it's not literally a cult, there are some cult-like properties. Members of the hard-core base seem to be generally un-empathic people yet have extreme empathy for Trump himself. The leader can do no wrong. Loyalty to the leader is first-and-foremost (or maybe second to pissing off the libs). They don't care what actually happens to their country or community; just about dunking on the rest of us.

As mentioned in the above post Trump has many characteristics of a cult leader. Does this make all 70 million of his three-time voters members of a cult? Probably not. Never underestimate how many people just vote for the "D" or the "R" and are not all that hung up on the day-to-day things we talk about here. If we ever do have true Trump-brand dictatorship, I'd suspect many of his habitual voters will be legitimately surprised, while the base will excuse every step taken in that direction.

Anyway, it seems like a non-cult with cult-like characteristics. 
    I agree with all of this, as you know.  Just look around your work.  I am in finance and there are plenty of people who are both reflexively and culturally Republican.  They don't like left of center politics.  Some of them may hold their nose and vote for Biden, not vote but more likely vote for Trump because they want a Republican admin.  But they think Trump is a shithead, they don't wear the fucking political outfits (MAGA bullshit) and they don't go to rallies and such.  In fact, the people I know that are Republican don't even talk politics these days.  They are basically hoping that the institution and controls will reign him in.  I think that's dubious and disagree, but they aren't in a cult.  
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,747
    Halifax, despite all his childish names and shit, is right. 30%+ of those 70 million are most definitely in a cult. 
    The 30% are in further than the rest, but you can slide that percentage higher (around 65%) when you look at the number of republicans who think the election was stolen and that his indictments are bogus accusations where “Biden’s doj” is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. One could debate that those two indicators aren’t really cult-like, I suppose. 
  • Options
    Sure, it’s not a cult and POOTWH is not a cult leader. Just another average repub going about average repub things. Sure.

From Psychology Today:

From my studies of cults and cult leaders during my time in the FBI, I learned early on that there are some things to look for that, at a minimum, say "caution, this individual is dangerous, and in all likelihood will cause harm to others."

Having studied at length the life, teachings, and behaviors of Jim Jones (Jonestown Guyana), David Koresh (Branch Davidians), Stewart Traill (The Church of Bible Understanding), Charles Manson, Shoko Asahara (Aum Shinrikyo), Joseph Di Mambro (The Order of the Solar Temple a.k.a. Ordre du Temple Solaire), Marshall Heff Applewhit (Heaven’s Gate), Bhagwan Rajneesh (Rajneesh Movement), and Warren Jeffs (polygamist leader), I can say that what stands out about these individuals is that they were or are all pathologically narcissistic. They all have or had an over-abundant belief that they were special, that they and they alone had the answers to problems, and that they had to be revered. They demanded perfect loyalty from followers, they overvalued themselves and devalued those around them, they were intolerant of criticism, and above all they did not like being questioned or challenged. And yet, in spite of these less than charming traits, they had no trouble attracting those who were willing to overlook these features.

These personality traits stand out as the first warning to those who would associate with them, but there are many others. Here is a collection of traits of cult leaders that give us hints as to their psychopathology. This list is not all-inclusive nor is it the final word on the subject; it is merely my personal collection based on studies and interviews that I conducted in my previous career.

If you know of a cult leader who has many of these traits there is a high probability that they are hurting those around them emotionally, psychologically, physically, spiritually, or financially. And of course this does not take into account the hurt that their loved ones will also experience.

Here are the typical traits of the pathological cult leader (from Dangerous Personalities) that you should watch for:

6. Is exploitative of others by asking for their money or that of relatives, putting others at financial risk.
    8. Has an exaggerated sense of power (entitlement) that allows him to bend rules and break laws.
    10. Sex is a requirement with adults and sub adults as part of a ritual or rite.
    13. Makes members confess their sins or faults, publicly subjecting them to ridicule or humiliationwhile revealing exploitable weaknesses of the penitent.
    14. Has ignored the needs of others, including: biological, physical, emotional, and financial needs.
    16. Needs to be the center of attention and does things to distract others to ensure that he or she is being noticed, e.g., by arriving late, using exotic clothing, overdramatic speech, or by making theatrical entrances.
    17. Has insisted on always having the best of anything (house, car, jewelry, clothes) even when others are relegated to lesser facilities, amenities, or clothing.
    18. Doesn’t seem to listen well to needs of others; communication is usually one-way, in the form of dictates.
    19. Haughtiness, grandiosity, and the need to be controlling is part of his personality.
    20. Behaves as though people are objects to be used, manipulated or exploited for personal gain.
    29. Has a certain coldness or aloofness about him that makes others worry about who this person really is and or whether they really know him.
    30. Is deeply offended when there are perceived signs of boredom, being ignored or of being slighted.
    32. Is constantly assessing people to determine those who are a threat or those who revere him.
    33. The word “I” dominates his conversations. He is oblivious to how often he references himself.
    34. Hates to be embarrassed or fail publicly; when he does he acts out with rage.
    35. Doesn’t seem to feel guilty for anything he has done wrong nor does he apologize for his actions.
    40. Has isolated members of his sect from contact with family or the outside world.
    43. Has stated that he is “destined for greatness” or that he will be “martyred.”
    44. Seems to be highly dependent on tribute and adoration and will often fish for compliments.
    45. Uses enforcers or sycophants to ensure compliance from members or believers.
    47. Conceals background or family, which would disclose how plain or ordinary he is.
    48. Doesn’t think there is anything wrong with himself and in fact sees himself as perfection or “blessed.”
    49. Has taken away followers' freedom to leave, to travel, to pursue life and liberty.
    50. Has isolated the group physically (moved to a remote area) so as to not be observed.
    try reading. no one here is claiming he's not a cult leader and cult behaviour doesn't exist. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    so we went from all 70 mill to just 30% of 70 mill. quit moving the goal posts folks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Excuse me?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

From Psychology Today:

try reading. no one here is claiming he's not a cult leader and cult behaviour doesn't exist. 
    You should take your own advice.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

From Psychology Today:

Honestly we should all try reading.  It's hard. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    edited January 24
    so we went from all 70 mill to just 30% of 70 mill. quit moving the goal posts folks. 
    Me? I've always contended it was his base that was the cult. That's like 20-25 million people. That's fucking scary. 

You can argue the rest who just ignore all the millions of things wrong him but vote for him anyway are just as bad or worse because they should know better. 

Sad state of affairs. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

From Psychology Today:

RIF

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

From Psychology Today:

RIF
    It sure is
  • Options

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,251

I spend a decent amount of time on conservative forums. Posters I’ve know close to a decade. You’d be surprised how many never trumpers, who claim have never have/never will vote for him, believe all his election lies and Jan Six defense nonsense. Bright folks, not joking.
  • Options
    See the difference? I’m just some anonymous poster on a famous 1990s era band’s website, sometimes confused with a former FBI agent who studies cults, notwithstanding. From Letter From an American:

Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel—who was recorded on November 17, 2020, pressuring two Republican officials in Michigan not to certify Joe Biden’s electors in a county he won by 68% and promising the officials to “get you attorneys”—has urged Haley to drop out of the race. Traditionally, party chairs stay neutral in primary contests. Tonight, Trump posted a threat to donors: “Nikki ‘Birdbrain’ Haley is very bad for the Republican Party and, indeed, our Country…. Anybody that makes a ‘Contribution’ to Birdbrain, from this moment forth, will be permanently barred from the MAGA camp. We don’t want them and will not accept them.”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,251
    edited January 25

This sounds a lot like a Hilary era underestimation of maga power. There is one critical word in the definition of cult that is being ignored. Edit, take a closer look at the polls. The vast majority of Republicans, far far greater than 30%, believe all of the Trump indictments are bogus

: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    do not forget that trump is antithetical to the teachings of jesus, and these evangelical christians are hardcore trumpers. kind of weird how they can claim to be devout and still support a man like trump.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,198
    do not forget that trump is antithetical to the teachings of jesus, and these evangelical christians are hardcore trumpers. kind of weird how they can claim to be devout and still support a man like trump.
    It's unreal...same people that say they like tRump because he "does what he says" even though he doesn't.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    The field

I spend a decent amount of time on conservative forums. Posters I’ve know close to a decade. You’d be surprised how many never trumpers, who claim have never have/never will vote for him, believe all his election lies and Jan Six defense nonsense. Bright folks, not joking.
    I believe it. Most of them, whether easily targeted "angry about nothing" people susceptible to populism or more rational "less government; lower taxes" people, listen exclusively to right wing "news." And those outlets don't really survive if they don't peddle outrage and party-first nonsense. Some of it is going to resonate with some of them.

There's something to be said for the days of newspapers and 30-minute nightly news programs...there was so much less ability to find echo chambers and so much less time/space for outrage and conspiracy theories.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The field

I believe it. Most of them, whether easily targeted "angry about nothing" people susceptible to populism or more rational "less government; lower taxes" people, listen exclusively to right wing "news." And those outlets don't really survive if they don't peddle outrage and party-first nonsense. Some of it is going to resonate with some of them.

There's something to be said for the days of newspapers and 30-minute nightly news programs...there was so much less ability to find echo chambers and so much less time/space for outrage and conspiracy theories.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018

This sounds a lot like a Hilary era underestimation of maga power. There is one critical word in the definition of cult that is being ignored. Edit, take a closer look at the polls. The vast majority of Republicans, far far greater than 30%, believe all of the Trump indictments are bogus

: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous

And what happens when a cult’s behaviour gets traction? It grows up into a religion with the same characteristics, but society accepts and encourages it!  What a fucked up place we live in.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1