Options

Celiac Disease/Gluten Free options

Our 8 year old was diagnosed with Celiac disease earlier this week.
It's been about a 2 month process with a colonoscopy, allergy tests and other dr appointments to get here. It's now going to be about 2 months before we get in with our nutritionist to go over any specific details.
I knew very little about Celiac before this and how to eat gluten free. All the information is kind of overwhelming so far.
I know celiac is becoming more common and gluten free foods are easier to find than before

I'm just curious if anyone out there has favorite snack replacements or brands to look for? What can we replace cheeze-its, or other common snacks an 8 year old typically enjoys?
I bought a loaf of gluten free bread last night for $6.50, that was about half the size of what we usually pay $2.25 for. Any suggestions on what your favorite gluten free foods are that don't break the bank would be really appreciated!
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,262
    My daughter  21 eats gluten free i will  give her a call tonight and ask  whats easy
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    awesome, thanks!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    Most stores have sections for snacks and other gf foods.  (Mrs FMe is gf.)
    If the store is higher end they will have very large sections with all sorts of choices.  If it is a base store the selection could be small
    (Sprouts, Moms, Trader Joe's,  Whole Foods are some good ones.)

I do eat my wife's pretzels and fake Pringles, quite frequently.  Some of the food tastes like cardboard.   
    Here is what those look like:

There are also options for gluten free flour so that you can make a lot of the foods you might normally have to avoid or go with weak substitutes.
    Cup 4 Cup is the best, imo.

There really are lots of ways to work around and places in public are serving more and more gf stuff. 

It is more expensive but it is for your daughter so I'm sure you will do what is needed.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Thanks! When I was at the store last night I was trying to check labels for GF, but didn't have the time to read all of them. So knowing some brands help.
    I know some do taste like cardboard, hoping to find some good suggestions.
    Also realized that I think some items advertise GF when it's a moot point. Like I was proud that I found a bag that advertised GF popcorn, then my wife told me popcorn is GF anyway?
    We bought a 1 lb bag of GF flour, that set us back $11. Good to have, but will likely have to find cheaper options. 
    Basically why I left feeling overwhelmed with what to do.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    I would advise not to assume on stuff that generally is GF, especially if your daughter has celiac.

Rice is a good example.  Sometimes there is stuff in there.
    Bacon is another.
    Also be careful that things are prepared in GF environments.   Sometimes they don't label GF because they don't take extra care when they processed something in the same area of equipment that was not GF.

My wife can eat some stuff and make mistakes - if she has it, it fucks her stomach for a day or two.  She is not in danger as someone with actual celiac.

I would say look for that GF symbol.  It is prominently positioned on most brands.
    You know if you buy the ingredient and make stuff there are no additives or other shit put in there which might cause issues.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mace1229 said:
    Thanks! When I was at the store last night I was trying to check labels for GF, but didn't have the time to read all of them. So knowing some brands help.
    I know some do taste like cardboard, hoping to find some good suggestions.
    Also realized that I think some items advertise GF when it's a moot point. Like I was proud that I found a bag that advertised GF popcorn, then my wife told me popcorn is GF anyway?
    We bought a 1 lb bag of GF flour, that set us back $11. Good to have, but will likely have to find cheaper options. 
    Basically why I left feeling overwhelmed with what to do.
    It will be a leaning curve and it’s overwhelming for sure when you first have to deal with something like this, but you’ll get there and sometime soon it will be second nature. You will make some mistakes, because it’s such a big shift and we all fall back into old patterns, but it will get easier. Might not get less expensive, though - I know those specialty food manufacturers really soak you. I agree with the suggestion to start to cook and bake as much of it as possible - it’ll taste better and cost less. 

One thing is would say is read all the labels every single time. Yes, it’s a hassle and a time suck but you would not believe how often producers change their formulations. If you find a brand that is specifically formulated to be GF that she likes then you’re probably safe, but don’t assume anything about non-specialized brands. 

Good luck to you, to your daughter and the whole family. At least you have a diagnosis now, so things can start to get better for her. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, really good to know!
  • Options
    holdmyhandholdmyhand Middle Tennessee Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm in the process of being tested for Celiac disease. I just know that when I do have gluten, my bones hurt and if I have enough of it, it locks me up, so it hurts to move.

I have learned to check everything for gluten. Random things that I didn't know had gluten: Most Lindt chocolate truffles, Wendy's fries, certain hot dogs and hamburgers, and Rice Crispy treats. It can be overwhelming, but once you find a few things that work for your child, it becomes easier and more routine. 

I don't get on here much, but was just wondering if there was a food thread for those with Celiac disease. One thing I've recently discovered is Thrive Market (online). You pick your food category and then select Certified Gluten Free to weed out things you can't eat, and you don't have to sit and read a million labels. I hope that helps a little. I think it's going to be a constant learning process because they put all kinds of unexpected things in food.