If you were asked to design a Pearl Jam Poster...

BlackCircleBlackCircle Posts: 371
edited March 2023 in The Porch
What would you draw inspiration from?
What theme or idea or concept would you use?

I'm asking, because after 32 years, it seems as though most concepts have been explored to some degree...
Sports Teams, Animals, Space, Skulls, Death, Trees, Stamps, Postcards, Skulls, Birds, Vintage Ads, Cartoons, Cowboys, Indians, Psychedelic, Modern, Video Games, Race cars, Boats, The Ocean, Punk, Industry, Politics, Religion, Playing Cards... 

What hasn't been done and what would you do differently that another artist hasn't done?  

Just curious, since there seems to be so many "critics" of the posters the last few years... how would you design a poster?  
What would it look like?

I'm like a tab
Post edited by BlackCircle on

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,623
    Patterns that are so complex
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,497
    Local connection maybe
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • matt3846matt3846 Posts: 156
    I don’t know what it would look like, but after watching the signed posters thread I’d make it a rule to have plenty of blank space for autographs.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    I would do a design that incorporates the city/area that the show was taking place.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    One of those 3D images that you have to stare at and maybe get.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,497
    Yeah definitely  country and city  relevance and some gold  on there 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Pearl Jam should hold a contest for 10C members to design a poster. Winner gets their poster made and sold at a show. I would love to see the entry's for that.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,193
    Local connection maybe

• apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Patterns that are so complex
    Maybe next tour Dan Flashes could do a poster
  • mace1229 said:
    One of those 3D images that you have to stare at and maybe get.
    I have years of hostility pent up from never being able to see them due to an issue with one of my eyes.
  • Local connection maybe
    Always like to see connection to the city.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,193

• pjrusspjruss Posts: 494
    I’d have the Blimp hovering/flying over a city. In the city below, you’d see a couple things that made the city recognizable (like if it was St. Louis, you’d see the arc, as an example).
    The Pearl Jam and other pertinent info would be on the blimp. 
    Or one of those planes that has the advertising sign flying behind it, whichever looked better. 

I couldn’t even come close to being able to draw it myself though. I can barely draw a stick figure. 

And I’d imagine this, or something very similar, has been done by some artist for some band at some point. If not….BK…..all yours 😂
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    Like others have said, the subject matter should be tied to the area that the show is held. It should be an artist local to the area/region. I also prefer designs that have space. The super busy, overly detailed posters are unappealing to me. Not really into cartoony images all that much. I know most people like the hot dog poster, but if I got that I'd sell it in a minute.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • pjruss said:
    I’d have the Blimp hovering/flying over a city. In the city below, you’d see a couple things that made the city recognizable (like if it was St. Louis, you’d see the arc, as an example).
    Or one of those planes that has the advertising sign flying behind it, whichever looked better. 

I couldn’t even come close to being able to draw it myself though. I can barely draw a stick figure. 

And I’d imagine this, or something very similar, has been done by some artist for some band at some point. If not….BK…..all yours 😂
    IMHO, this thread is exactly what online art generators are for. I pasted in your post and added a few keywords (pearl jam, etc.) and here is what came out...Pretty postery if you ask me.

• pjrusspjruss Posts: 494
    pjruss said:

IMHO, this thread is exactly what online art generators are for. I pasted in your post and added a few keywords (pearl jam, etc.) and here is what came out...Pretty postery if you ask me.

Looks pretty cool to me. Especially considering one of these talented PJ poster artists would make it pop even more. 
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,364
    GlowGirl said:
    Pearl Jam should hold a contest for 10C members to design a poster. Winner gets their poster made and sold at a show. I would love to see the entry's for that.
    They did. Can’t remember the prize, it wasn’t the poster sold at the show, but this contest did happen.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    What program created this? Pretty cool. If words were 300% bigger, its not bad.
  • Mount Everest. With an unclaimed BIG BOLD FREE flag on top  =)
    1993 08-18 Toronto ON CNE w/ Neil Young, Soundgarden
    1998 08-22 Barrie ON Molson Park
    2003 05-02 Buffalo NY HSBC, 06-28 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2004 10-02 Toledo OH Vote For Change w/ Neil Young
    2005 09-19 Toronto ON ACC, 09-13 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Kitchener ON Memorial Gardens
    2006 05-10 Toronto ON ACC, 05-09 Toronto ON ACC
    2007 EV 09-11 Toronto ON Body of War TIFF Screening Isabel Bader Theatre - Grateful to have met Ed!!
    2008 EV 08-12 Toronto ON Massey Hall
    2009 08-21 Toronto ON Molson Amp.
    2010 05-10 Buffalo NY HSBC
    2011 09-15 Hamilton ON Copps, 09-11 Toronto ON ACC, 09-12 Toronto ON ACC,
    2011 EV 06-26 Detroit MI Fox Theatre
    2013 10-12 Buffalo NY First Niagara, 07-16 London ON Bud Gardens
    2016 05-10, 05-12 Toronto ON ACC
    2022 09-06 Hamilton ON First Ontario Centre
  • motleygunnermotleygunner Posts: 186
    edited March 2023
    Shutterstock did that one... There are a ton out there. hotpot.ai does some fun ones. https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/text2img is a good one... 

DeepAI.org can let you pick different shaped images... Here's a couple Washington DC ones using your idea:

Post edited by motleygunner on
  • Mount Everest. With an unclaimed BIG BOLD FREE flag on top  =)

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    edited March 2023
    I always wanted to commission a Sunfest 93 since they didn’t do gig posters yet. 

Two ideas:
    1) with it being held just outside Gimli Manitoba, a detailed pic of Gimli from Lord Of The Rings with “Pearl Jam” interwoven as his braids, and “PJ” on his helmet crest, Sunfest written on his belt buckle, etc. 

2) a take on the actual viking statue in the town, but with the face of Ed and the rest of the band as pigeons shitting on him or eating birdseed around the base. And the Stickman logo could use the Sunfest logo as the head. 

I liked the idea of “dystopian future” that have been on some. 

Maybe homage to other bands that inspired them. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I always wanted to commission a Sunfest 93 since they didn’t do gig posters yet. 

Two ideas:
    1) with it being held just outside Gimli Manitoba, a detailed pic of Gimli from Lord Of The Rings with “Pearl Jam” interwoven as his braids, and “PJ” on his helmet crest, Sunfest written on his belt buckle, etc. 

2) a take on the actual viking statue in the town, but with the face of Ed and the rest of the band as pigeons shitting on him or eating birdseed around the base. And the Stickman logo could use the Sunfest logo as the head. 

I liked the idea of “dystopian future” that have been on some. 

Maybe homage to other bands that inspired them. 
    How about these... I have 0 artistic ability... Not claiming any!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Characters from these forums. Now that would be interesting! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Posts: 371

I'm like a tab
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,980
    Beach with one of those planes pulling show info. Would have worked for Asbury Park show. Next time.

Maybe a yellow snow script for the show they finally do in AK? No disrespect. I think it would be funny. Esp a foil variant. There could be a few empty crushed up beer cans in the snow too with opener/venue info.
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Posts: 371
    Loujoe said:
    Beach with one of those planes pulling show info. Would have worked for Asbury Park show. Next time.

Maybe a yellow snow script for the show they finally do in AK? No disrespect. I think it would be funny. Esp a foil variant. There could be a few empty crushed up beer cans in the snow too with opener/venue info.

Just curious.... what is a "yellow snow script"?   

I'm like a tab
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,654
    Loujoe said:

Just curious.... what is a "yellow snow script"?   

Didn't you ever "write your name in the snow"?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,083
    I'd never use that horrible yellow and brown that you see on a bunch of the posters nowadays.  It hurts my eyes...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Architecture usually makes for a nice poster. I'd start there.

No skulls, ever. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."