Raleigh boycott show in hindsight

JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149
edited March 2023 in The Porch
Its been about 7 years since PJ boycotted Raleigh because Charlotte passed a pro LGBTQ law that the state legislature reacted poorly to.   Now we are seeing horrible laws all over the country.   I wish PJ would acknowledge the boycott was a mistake.   I don't expect PJ to never play a state with bad laws again but its such hypocrisy to do so after their Raleigh boycott.   
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    They say hindsight is 20/20 for a reason. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    ComeToTX said:
    It was a mistake without the hindsight.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    all about perspective

you have yours, they have theirs.....  people TRY to do good in a fucked up world, doesnt always yield results. Doesnt mean you stop trying, but yes maybe there is a different way to go about things
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149
    CROJAM95 said:
    all about perspective

you have yours, they have theirs.....  people TRY to do good in a fucked up world, doesnt always yield results. Doesnt mean you stop trying, but yes maybe there is a different way to go about things

I don't think they should stop trying.  I think the opposite and they should try harder.  Use their forum and voice to spread more love and acceptance.  
    ComeToTX said:
    That’s your opinion. I had tickets and flew out for it. It was annoying but I understand what they were doing at the time. Not sure what coming out 7 years later and saying it was a mistake would achieve. Move on. 
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
    That’s your opinion. I had tickets and flew out for it. It was annoying but I understand what they were doing at the time. Not sure what coming out 7 years later and saying it was a mistake would achieve. Move on. 
    You understand what they were doing?  I don't think even they did.  and its more relevant now then ever.  the laws being passed right now are far worse.   It isn't a time to be dismissive.  Its a time to fight and figure out what has worked before and what hasn't and how to improve.   Next time, PJ should do the show but also promote the issue and try to register as many voters as possible and encourage concert goers to donate money or time to the fight etc.   
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,947
    Oh well, no one should do anything about republican fascism.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,623
    So wait, your takeaway was "They shouldn't have even tried"? 

JP Losman said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
      Next time, PJ should do the show but also promote the issue and try to register as many voters as possible and encourage concert goers to donate money or time to the fight etc.   
    This doesn't make national headlines. Also, for the most part, they would would preaching to the choir. 
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    Don’t punish the FANS, play the f*cken show. Ridiculous
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,155
    JP Losman said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
      Next time, PJ should do the show but also promote the issue and try to register as many voters as possible and encourage concert goers to donate money or time to the fight etc.   
    This doesn't make national headlines. Also, for the most part, they would would preaching to the choir. 
    Choirs will give money and lend support. Fundraise, offer space to groups opposing the legislation, participate further in the state if time allows, etc. I'm not sure if anyone can statistically prove which is more effective, but that's the (compelling imo) counterargument.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    Wow. Still bitter much?

They wanted to make a point they did. They will continue to make social justice points whenever THEY feel the need. End of story.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,294
    Da fuk?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    pjl44 said:
    JP Losman said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Choirs will give money and lend support. Fundraise, offer space to groups opposing the legislation, participate further in the state if time allows, etc. I'm not sure if anyone can statistically prove which is more effective, but that's the (compelling imo) counterargument.
    Agreed. Creating a national news story out of it probably motivated fans nation (world?) wise, not just the ones who were gonna attend.

like, it does suck that your concert got cancelled. Especially for an act that doesn't tour much. But holding onto the bitterness 7 years later is something else. If anything you should be more motivated to stop this suppression of human rights because it has gotten worse and not go, whelp, I wish I got my show because theres no stopping it. 

I think it's a relevant topic with laws in a similar vein being kicked around in other states. If a tour gets announced that question will come up.
    like, it does suck that your concert got cancelled. Especially for an act that doesn't tour much. But holding onto the bitterness 7 years later is something else. If anything you should be more motivated to stop this suppression of human rights because it has gotten worse and not go, whelp, I wish I got my show because theres no stopping it. 

The whole point is this space has gotten significantly worse in certain parts and generally worse all over.   My whole career is dedicated to fighting these injustices.  So yea, I'm motivated.  Its not about wishing I got my show.  Its about what happens next.  I think its fine for fans of PJ to want and EXPECT them to try to do their best to help with these causes based on their previous statements and actions (failed or otherwise) for various human rights.   I've seen PJ 40 times.  I'm okay personally.   Its a comment about the band and their future especially since some of these new laws are downright nasty.  
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    It is what it is! They did what they did it’s over 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    We still talking about this? I had tickets to this too, traveled across country, and if it was 7 yrs ago, I moved on 6yrs and maybe 363 days ago 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Yes it's my opinion, that's what a messageboard is for.  I don't care about it, don;t hold some sort of grudge.  Just my opinion that is was the wrong call even at that moment...didn't need years to look back and see.

I didn't start the topic, just replied....like you did before me. So you telling me to move on is quite comical.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,094
    I bought the t-shirt. Happy to help out moneywise to the cause.

But, I believe to the brink of knowing -- it being a bad decision, I imagine fueled heavily by Bruce Springsteen doing the same. 

I mean, there were other options - Use the show as a fundraiser for the cause or a protest concert. Raise awareness by organizing something that day or whatever. 

That decision, so soon before and with a very mobile fanbase having paid a lot to be there, was astonishing.

Don't play in those types of states to begin with then. I understand that Volvo establishing a factory there could fool one into thinking it will turn into Sweden 2.0, but...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2023
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Yes it's my opinion, that's what a messageboard is for.  I don't care about it, don;t hold some sort of grudge.  Just my opinion that is was the wrong call even at that moment...didn't need years to look back and see.

I didn't start the topic, just replied....like you did before me. So you telling me to move on is quite comical.
    "Move on from this topic!" - Guy posting in thread on the topic
    pjl44 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:

Haha...that is funny.   I think some people feel like they have to defend the band no matter what.  Our heroes aren't perfect.  They are human and flawed and make mistakes.  And it doesn't make you a bigger or better fan to defend them in every situation.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    JP Losman said:
    pjl44 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:

Haha...that is funny.   I think some people feel like they have to defend the band no matter what.  Our heroes aren't perfect.  They are human and flawed and make mistakes.  And it doesn't make you a bigger or better fan to defend them in every situation.  
    Yeah that’s all true no arguing it! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    i'm not defending the band.  i lost money on it and was annoyed at the time and it seemed pointless and ended up being just that.  i just don't care because it has been 7 years and i've seen them 15 times since. many of those in states with far worse laws than that bathroom bill.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    In retrospect I think it was a bad call canceling the show. You are punishing people that had nothing to do with that particular bill.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited March 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    You are punishing people that had nothing to do with that particular bill.  
    I think something the band has always done is push the idea that there are some things that are bigger than ourselves and it may not always work out, or maybe the action is futile in changing the tide, but they feel like they need to stand by what they believe. 

It's a bummer people think they were being punished. But in the grand scheme of the issue, its a pretty privileged problem to have.
    edited March 2023
    JP Losman said:
    pjl44 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:

I also think its worth pointing out, just because someone speaks up in defense, or are contrarian, doesn't make people out to be perpetual defenders of the band. Just because pushback exists, doesn't mean its the same people doing it.

• apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    So wait, your takeaway was "They shouldn't have even tried"? 

"Well if you can't fix or help everything why even bother"

The fact you think they should apologize is pretty ridiculous. 

As much as the people who defend the band no matter what are annoying, I think the people who hold a band to stay true to everything they've ever said or done is equally annoying.  The world has changed a lot since that show, if they didn't tour the same losers who like to point out any "Gotcha" hypocrisies would also complain about that
This discussion has been closed.