Yield in Spatial Audio

13»

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    ah. Gotchya now, nerds. Thx Stardog. So I need headphones (which I have.. yay ya joy joy) to enjoy the spatial stuff. Groovy Toovy. Toodle-oo
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjamm said:
    I'd love to be the idiot who sticks his hand up to ask the dumb question.... if I'm playing this spatial audio thingamajig over my two little computer speakers... am I still going to hear a difference from previous .... unspatialed... versions?
    Second question: if I play this through an auxilary cable connected to my amp and two speakers (aka.. my freakin turntable setup which is HiFi) will I notice the spatialness that's been done? Or do I need a 5.1 dolby surround sound thingamjig to feel all this shit that's been done ??? help me understand. cuz my gad.. i feel blumpkinned.

A lot of people probably feel the way you do, which is the fault of muddying the waters of surround sound, previously easily defined and understood, with the "Spatial Audio" term.

Yes you're going to hear a difference in a 2-channel set-up (speakers or headphones) but it's because it's a different mix. You may prefer having more dynamics (ie greater volume between the louder parts and quieter parts) and you might hear things you didn't hear before.

In order to correctly hear elements in different positions around the room, including height information, you will need an Atmos set-up. At minimum that would be a standard 5.1 system with two height channels (5.1.2). For best directionality you'd want four height channels that fire downwards (5.1.4). My system is 5.2.4, which just means I have two subwoofers (independently calibrated). I currently have upward firing Atmos modules on top of my four main towers, my next upgrade will be re-doing the drop ceiling with a drywall ceiling and four ceiling speakers - looking forward to that one! Current system pics here - https://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=dobyblue

Never feel dumb asking questions, I've asked hundreds of questions over the years to help me learn more about my audio/video passion.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,302
    I know nothing about this but I do consider myself to have a good ear. Why is the volume on these atmos mixes low? 
  • So is Apple Music the only streaming platform to access this right now?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Yield in a new light

pretty amazing
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    nicknyr15 said:
    I know nothing about this but I do consider myself to have a good ear. Why is the volume on these atmos mixes low? 

I'd expect a quality mastering to sound quiet compared to the brickwalled shit that's been coming out for years.

The flipside of this is you can really crank up the volume without distortion.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    nicknyr15 said:
    Because they're mastered with much better dynamic range than stereo "CD" mixes of the last 20-30 years. Mastering has been compressing the shit out of music to make it sound louder but not better. Atmos mixes overall seem to be much less compressed, more dynamic and thus sound quieter. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, go read about the Loudness Wars.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    ChrisHman said:
    Thanks for confirming Spatial is only available on certain platforms not all listed on the main link. I found it pretty confusing to find good info on how to confirm it’s working so figured I would let those who have IPhones know what I did to get it working. 

Get 4 free months of Apple Music here:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6515312.p?skuId=6515312

When you search for yield it’ll say Dolby Atmos / Lossless badge on the album homepage. 

Go to iOS settings Music Make sure Dolby Atmos is set to automatic, and in audio quality turn lossless on and change streaming to the highest you are willing to go. 

Find pair of headphones that support it. These are the apple products that do: 
    • AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation), AirPods Max, AirPods (3rd generation) or Beats Fit Pro
    Start play a song, swipe down at the top right of your phone to get to the control center and press and hold the Vertical headphone volume slider bar. It’ll say spatial audio and sound waves will be moving  if it’s enabled. I changed it to fixed instead of head tracked. Good luck. 

Thanks for explaining this.  What's weird at first it was just playing in standard stereo, where all other spacial audio on Apple Music was working fine.  Had to go to that screen ^^ to change it.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    cbeiting said:
    I'm listening to it with my AirPods Max and it's friggin unreal... I'm hearing details of the songs I've never heard before. It's hard to describe, but it just sounds like they're all around you.
    Yeah, i'm def picking up on things I've never noticed before.  What's wild is when you turn your head "towards that thing", it becomes center stage.  I've been listening to music in SA for a while now, and Yield sounds amazing.
    Yesterday, I sat down and listened to Yield from start to finish in Atmos on my home theater system. Overall, it's a solid mix. I do think No Code is a better mix for Atmos, but it's also a more experimental album with weird little bits and sounds and effects that Josh was able to spread around. Songs like "Brain of J." and "MFC" are a lot more straightforward and so there's not as much to mix around. Still, overall sound quality is vastly improved to my ear. "No Way," "Low Light" and "All Those Yesterdays" were very active in the surrounds, discrete mixes as we say on the hi-fi forums. They were a feast in Atmos.

I will say there were a few moments where it was almost like a track of loud distorted guitar was reduced or gone in the mix. I noticed this on "Faithfull," "Given to Fly" and "In Hiding." It makes the songs rock a bit less. The distorted edge seemed a bit blunted somehow. They still sound great, if a little less guitar bite to them.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Yeah those are the tracks on RVM from three of the four PJ albums released in Atmos.
  • Ok so took a walk this afternoon and had a listen and it was fantastic. Highlights were No Way, Push Me Pull Me, Given to Fly finally has the live feeling and not as subdued. 

But did anyone else notice that Brain of J, Do the evolution and mfc all say lossless audio instead of Dolby atmos like all the other tracks when playing on Apple Music? I did not see this brought up earlier and was curious to know if it was just me and if not why leave those as is?
    Those three songs still show as Atmos for me.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,181
    If you have access to Apple or Amazon Music, be sure to listen to Yield in spatial audio!

YIELD SPATIAL AUDIO