Yield in Spatial Audio

Comments

• ChrisHmanChrisHman Posts: 19
    edited February 2023
    The iTunes link option above lists you can buy it but gives no indication it’s the spatial audio version. Can someone from mgmt clarify how to actually listen to spatial audio outside of Apple Music streaming service?
  • ChrisHman said:
    The iTunes link option above lists you can buy it but gives no indication it’s the spatial audio version. Can someone from mgmt clarify how to actually listen to spatial audio outside of Apple Music streaming service?
    I think Amazon and Apple are the only ones offering Spatial/360 audio. It’s streaming only. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Stream only. None of the spatial releases are for sale. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited February 2023
    So even though the link in first post lists spatial audio at the top and lists a bunch of steaming services only Amazon Unlimited and Apple Music streaming have it?  I googled to realize Spotify doesn’t offer spatial period. 
    Post edited by ChrisHman on
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited February 2023
    So what are the versions on YouTube? Josh Evans stereo mixes? They were all uploaded three weeks ago, so they're not the same videos that have been up for the last however many years.

Edit: But there's no new upload for DTE. The playlist just dumps you at the music video. I don't understand this release.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Amazon and Apple are the only ones offering Spatial/360 audio. It’s streaming only.  

PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Also, when they released Ten and No Code in Atmos, I posted this thread:

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/289758/pearl-jam-albums-in-dolby-atmos-surround/p1

It might help answer some of the questions about Spatial Audio, etc.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • jt1979jt1979 Posts: 19
    Dolby Atmos mix of Yield is on Tidal too. Sounding superb. 
  • So I should get an Atmos set up now with speakers in the cieling and stuff?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Any benefit with a traditional stereo setups or is ATMOS required?
    edited February 2023
    Thanks for confirming Spatial is only available on certain platforms not all listed on the main link. I found it pretty confusing to find good info on how to confirm it’s working so figured I would let those who have IPhones know what I did to get it working. 

Get 4 free months of Apple Music here:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6515312.p?skuId=6515312

When you search for yield it’ll say Dolby Atmos / Lossless badge on the album homepage. 

Go to iOS settings Music Make sure Dolby Atmos is set to automatic, and in audio quality turn lossless on and change streaming to the highest you are willing to go. 

Find pair of headphones that support it. These are the apple products that do: 
    • AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation), AirPods Max, AirPods (3rd generation) or Beats Fit Pro
    Start play a song, swipe down at the top right of your phone to get to the control center and press and hold the Vertical headphone volume slider bar. It’ll say spatial audio and sound waves will be moving  if it’s enabled. I changed it to fixed instead of head tracked. Good luck. 

Post edited by ChrisHman on
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    edited February 2023
    Jesus….I never post here anymore but this is incredible. I’m only a few songs in but holy shit! On first listen I’m hearing some of the bass parts in brain of j differently and subtle things about Eddie’s vocals on faithfull I’ve never heard. This is brilliant.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited February 2023
    That sucks. So are any of these streaming options free? I don’t want to sign up for some streaming service that I’ll never use other than to listen to this. 

Can these sort of recordings not be sold? Like, for the spatial audio to work properly, does it have to be through a stream because it’s lossless or something? 

Edit: I ended up just doing a free trial of Apple Music to listen. Sounds great. Still wish you could just buy it though. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Stream only. None of the spatial releases are for sale. 
    That sucks. So are any of these streaming options free? I don’t want to sign up for some streaming service that I’ll never use other than to listen to this. 

Can these sort of recordings not be sold? Like, for the spatial audio to work properly, does it have to be through a stream because it’s lossless or something? 

Edit: I ended up just doing a free trial of Apple Music to listen. Sounds great. Still wish you could just buy it though. 

These recordings can be sold, many are. The Beatles included Atmos mixes of Abbey Road and Let It Be on the Blu-rays found in those album's 50th anniversary deluxe editions. Super Deluxe Edition is doing a series of albums on standalone Blu-ray that include Atmos mixes like Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind and the new Tears For Fears record. Giles Martin mixed INXS' Kick into Atmos for the Blu-ray release of Kick 30. I've got lots of Atmos mixes on Blu-ray.

It's BS that we're seeing so many great albums only released to the streaming platforms. They are FAR INFERIOR to Atmos on Blu-ray. On Blu-ray Atmos is lossless, via streaming platforms it's lossy Atmos. It's not just lossy, it's VERY lossy. If you compare Abbey Road streaming Atmos to Blu-ray Atmos it is night and day. No joke. It's not, "oh, yeah I suppose I noticed a little difference", it's like a veil was lifted from the audio. Send your comments to Ten Club and maybe they'll consider a physical release. No reason why they can't do it if far less marketable records can see standalone Blu-ray releases like Eye in the Sky (Alan Parsons).
  • DewieCox said:
    Any benefit with a traditional stereo setups or is ATMOS required?

Sure, you're getting a far more dynamic mix of the record, which is good in Pearl Jam's case because their stereo mixes are often too aggressively mastered (The Loudness Wars). In this case the poor fidelity of streaming Atmos is made up for with the more dynamic mastering.

People hearing stuff they've "never heard before" when listening to Atmos over headphones has nothing to do with the fact it's Atmos and everything to do with the fact it's a different mix. Maybe Atmos is also going to lead people to realize that they prefer audiophile masterings (fully dynamic) instead of the mercilessly slammed official stereo releases.

For example here's Higher Power from Coldplay, a fold-down of the Atmos mix on top compared to the retail stereo mix on the bottom.

• dobyblue said:

These recordings can be sold, many are. The Beatles included Atmos mixes of Abbey Road and Let It Be on the Blu-rays found in those album's 50th anniversary deluxe editions. Super Deluxe Edition is doing a series of albums on standalone Blu-ray that include Atmos mixes like Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind and the new Tears For Fears record. Giles Martin mixed INXS' Kick into Atmos for the Blu-ray release of Kick 30. I've got lots of Atmos mixes on Blu-ray.

It's BS that we're seeing so many great albums only released to the streaming platforms. They are FAR INFERIOR to Atmos on Blu-ray. On Blu-ray Atmos is lossless, via streaming platforms it's lossy Atmos. It's not just lossy, it's VERY lossy. If you compare Abbey Road streaming Atmos to Blu-ray Atmos it is night and day. No joke. It's not, "oh, yeah I suppose I noticed a little difference", it's like a veil was lifted from the audio. Send your comments to Ten Club and maybe they'll consider a physical release. No reason why they can't do it if far less marketable records can see standalone Blu-ray releases like Eye in the Sky (Alan Parsons).
    Can digital Atmos mixes can be lossless though? So these streams aren’t, but theoretically, can they be sold as lossless digital files? I mean, they’d be huge files, but still. Basically I’m wondering if Blu-Ray quality audio can be downloaded to and played on a mobile device. I’m guessing not?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dobyblue said:

Can digital Atmos mixes can be lossless though? So these streams aren’t, but theoretically, can they be sold as lossless digital files? I mean, they’d be huge files, but still. Basically I’m wondering if Blu-Ray quality audio can be downloaded to and played on a mobile device. I’m guessing not?

Absolutely they can be, there's a site that sells lossless Atmos downloads. The problem is you can't play Atmos as a file in the same way that you can dts and Dolby files, so they sell them as either MKV or MP4 files. With MKV it's sort of like ripping a Blu-ray using MakeMKV.

The other problem is hardware. It's not as finicky as Apple and all those guys have made streaming Atmos (they've really made a f'n mess of it), but you do need a device that can decode Atmos. In my 5.2.4 home theater I have an NVidia Shield Pro 4K for streaming stuff on my PC, I use Plex on the Shield and Plex on the PC and this works great for Atmos. There's virtually no support on Blu-ray/UHD players for Atmos in MKV containers which sucks.

As for downloading and playing on a mobile device, I don't imagine it would work that way. Can you install media players like Plex on a phone and play back files that huge? It would be at least 5GB per album I would imagine. Lossless Atmos contains a Dolby TrueHD core.

You can get a free Atmos download to test from Immersive Audio - https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/

They sell stuff in Atmos as downloads, mostly artists the majority wouldn't have heard of, but they have some stuff on there from The Pineapple Thief who are a bit more well known (Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree type stuff).

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Love the deep dives here! You all are super into sound! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    Great thread! I might add that (I believe) any headphones that plug in will be adaptable to Dolby too. 

At least from my experience. 

And to add to the audio junky notes here (which I love!) - plugging in headphones will foster such better sound. To get lossless and hi-res lossless audio, you need to plug in. It’ll also allow a MUCH higher volume. 

And to take it a step further - investing in a DAC can take it a step up as well. (Not a giant step in my opinion, but a minor one.). I have found the main difference in audio is being plugged in headphones versus Bluetooth. Assuming the streaming service is solid. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    One more thing. Not Yield, but the coolest thing I’ve heard on Pearl Jam related Dolby audio is the rain at the end of Sometimes. Never knew that was in there. Talk about setting the mood. Another example of the artistic depth of this band. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    I really need to sit down soon and listen to Yield in Atmos from start to finish on my home theater 5.1 system. For all the fun of listening in headphones (AirPods Pro for me), nothing touches listening on a full surround system where the music comes from all around you.
  • Love the deep dives here! You all are super into sound! 
    These guys are diving so deep that I’m drowning. Thanks for the info, dobyblue. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    Listening now on Apple Music with AirPods Max. Wow! Phenomenal, especially when Given to Fly hits!
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    dobyblue said:

It's BS that we're seeing so many great albums only released to the streaming platforms. They are FAR INFERIOR to Atmos on Blu-ray. On Blu-ray Atmos is lossless, via streaming platforms it's lossy Atmos. It's not just lossy, it's VERY lossy. If you compare Abbey Road streaming Atmos to Blu-ray Atmos it is night and day. No joke. It's not, "oh, yeah I suppose I noticed a little difference", it's like a veil was lifted from the audio.
    This is not accurate. The Atmos stream on Apple Music is Lossless audio. Thanks.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • jt1979 said:
    Where did you find it on Tital? 
  • jt1979jt1979 Posts: 19
    fafane45 said:
    jt1979 said:
    Where did you find it on Tital? 
    https://tidal.com/album/278548152
  • dobybluedobyblue Posts: 63
    edited February 2023
    dobyblue said:

It's BS that we're seeing so many great albums only released to the streaming platforms. They are FAR INFERIOR to Atmos on Blu-ray. On Blu-ray Atmos is lossless, via streaming platforms it's lossy Atmos. It's not just lossy, it's VERY lossy. If you compare Abbey Road streaming Atmos to Blu-ray Atmos it is night and day. No joke. It's not, "oh, yeah I suppose I noticed a little difference", it's like a veil was lifted from the audio.
    This is not accurate. The Atmos stream on Apple Music is Lossless audio. Thanks.

Please don't spread misinformation. Dolby Atmos on every streaming platform it is found on, is carried in a Dolby Digital Plus container at a maximum bitrate of 768 Kbps and is lossy. Lossless Dolby Atmos is carried in a Dolby TrueHD container typically around 6 Mbps. Go ahead and press the display on your AVR while playing back Apple's Atmos and you'll see DD+/Atmos. Now do it while playing Blu-ray and it will show TrueHD/Atmos.

But don't take my word for it, here's Dolby Labs: "Dolby Atmos streamed to Apple devices utilizes the Dolby Digital Plus JOC codec."

You've gotten confused because Apple added Lossless and Dolby Atmos at the same time. They are two different statements. They added lossless for stereo and mono track playback when they added lossy DD+/Atmos for their "spatial audio" push.

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital-plus/

Post edited by dobyblue on
  • Next is the Benny!!!! Benny in Spatia Audio!!!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    I'd love to be the idiot who sticks his hand up to ask the dumb question.... if I'm playing this spatial audio thingamajig over my two little computer speakers... am I still going to hear a difference from previous .... unspatialed... versions?
    Second question: if I play this through an auxilary cable connected to my amp and two speakers (aka.. my freakin turntable setup which is HiFi) will I notice the spatialness that's been done? Or do I need a 5.1 dolby surround sound thingamjig to feel all this shit that's been done ??? help me understand. cuz my gad.. i feel blumpkinned.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjamm said:
    I'd love to be the idiot who sticks his hand up to ask the dumb question.... if I'm playing this spatial audio thingamajig over my two little computer speakers... am I still going to hear a difference from previous .... unspatialed... versions?
    Second question: if I play this through an auxilary cable connected to my amp and two speakers (aka.. my freakin turntable setup which is HiFi) will I notice the spatialness that's been done? Or do I need a 5.1 dolby surround sound thingamjig to feel all this shit that's been done ??? help me understand. cuz my gad.. i feel blumpkinned.
    https://www.whathifi.com/advice/what-is-apple-spatial-audio
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022).