Options

Soundgarden - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee

13»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    edited May 2023
    It has nothing to do with Green Day having sold over 75 million albums and Soundgarden around 13 million?  I think Dookie sold more copies than the entire Soundgarden catalog :)  American Idiot got close.

I love Soundgarden.   All of Chris' projects (solo, acoustic, soundgarden audioslave, totd) were amazing, but I think we're over estimating the popularity and influence of Soundgarden.    

I only liked a few of Green Day's 90s albums, but they were bigger than Soundgarden.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I actually thought they were always transparent that the fan vote meant nothing. Stupid that Sheryl Crow gets in before SG or Maiden. But the hall has been a joke for at least two decades. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    People get way too hung up on who gets in and who doesn’t every year. It’s not a real validation of anything. 
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    How does Sheryl Crow get in on the first ballot? That's unbelievable 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Zod said:
    It has nothing to do with Green Day having sold over 75 million albums and Soundgarden around 13 million?  I think Dookie sold more copies than the entire Soundgarden catalog :)  American Idiot got close.

I love Soundgarden.   All of Chris' projects (solo, acoustic, soundgarden audioslave, totd) were amazing, but I think we're over estimating the popularity and influence of Soundgarden.    

I only liked a few of Green Day's 90s albums, but they were bigger than Soundgarden.
    There may be some truth behind you saying that we all might be overestimating Soundgarden’s popularity and influence. It’s actually shocking to me to learn they “only” sold 13 million records. 

But there’s just no consistency. Iron Maiden has sold almost twice as many records as Green Day and are obviously way more influential. So the voters seem to pick and choose how they evaluate nominees. But the Rock Hall is so dumb that’s it’s pointless to engage in a Soundgarden/Maiden/Green Day debate when the Missy Elliot gets elected over two of them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    Zod said:

There may be some truth behind you saying that we all might be overestimating Soundgarden’s popularity and influence. It’s actually shocking to me to learn they “only” sold 13 million records. 

But there’s just no consistency. Iron Maiden has sold almost twice as many records as Green Day and are obviously way more influential. So the voters seem to pick and choose how they evaluate nominees. But the Rock Hall is so dumb that’s it’s pointless to engage in a Soundgarden/Maiden/Green Day debate when the Missy Elliot gets elected over two of them. 

definitely. It's not really a rock n' roll hall of fame anymore... I understand it.. they're going to run out of rock bands.

And yah.. that's crazy Iron Maiden isn't in.   I can understand Soundgarden taking a bit longer, but Iron Maiden should of been in eons ago.
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    How does Sheryl Crow get in on the first ballot? That's unbelievable 
    She has lots of hits. More hits than most of the the other acts who were up for nomination. 
  • Options
    I understand the hits argument, but then shouldn't Britney get in on first ballot? does anyone even know the criteria (besides 25 years) that these geezers vote on?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    Rock and roll should be a criteria. Some of this shit is pop at best
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    it's been a misnomer since its inception, really. there's been non-rock acts inducted from the very beginning. that's part of my issue with the gripes over who should get in and who shouldn't. I don't think someone like Sheryl Crow doesn't belong because of her genre of music; I just don't know that she deserves it based on other determinants. from Wikipedia: Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. But I think rock and roll is just a general term they use in place of "music". otherwise, how is Eminem or Dolly Parton rock n roll?

in Canada it's just called The Canadian Music Hall of Fame. Which makes sense. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    Yeah music fits better as a title
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Rock and roll should be a criteria. Some of this shit is pop at best
    It’s all pop at some point. 
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Not trying to slight Sheryl Crow I'm a fan of her music. Just surprised she got in this quick when other artists have had to wait for years.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    Happy for RATM and Willie!! :triumph: It's a bummer that SG is not in... :disappointed:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024