Options

I nominate 9/11/98 MSG as the companion live CD to Yield anniversary release!

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    10 to 12 grand really that’s what kept this show from being recorded 😂😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,854

Doubt it was the price that they couldn't get this show recorded. Something else must of been up.
  • Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    Any good links to access this show?
  • Options
    MKSNYC said:

Of course! Give me a few minutes. 
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 573
    demetrios said:
    MKSNYC said:

Could I grab link please 
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    Sirens4 said:
    demetrios said:
    MKSNYC said:

Could I grab link please 

Of course.
  • Options
    to those asking why venues charge and stealth recordings at places like MSG.  Stealth recording.  If you get caught you pay huge fines.  Union houses that charge to record.  Not 100% sure but a few reasons I have heard are that they are essentially charging you to put the sound of the venue on your recording.  I don't think they put it like that but the thinking is you want to use a recording to make money off our name/venue we want some extra money for it.  Also if a show is being recorded they need to bring in another union that covers the recording aspect of it.  A venue like MSG or Radio City Music Hall has some cachet to it and they charge accordingly.
    Haven't they released a bunch of official bootlegs from Madison Square Garden shows. And also a DVD.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612

Haven't they released a bunch of official bootlegs from Madison Square Garden shows. And also a DVD.

I interpret what was said by Brett, is that Pearl Jam didn't really have a plan for the recordings at the time of the MSG show in 1998, so while $10,000 might not seem like a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, at the time it wasn't worth paying that for something they weren't going do to anything with. Once they started selling bootlegs, paying the fee was justifiable.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    RiotAct10 said:

I interpret what was said by Brett, is that Pearl Jam didn't really have a plan for the recordings at the time of the MSG show in 1998, so while $10,000 might not seem like a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, at the time it wasn't worth paying that for something they weren't going do to anything with. Once they started selling bootlegs, paying the fee was justifiable.
    It was the 1st show at the worlds most famous Arena! Management & band missed the boat on this one, it’s like going to the Vatican and not taking any pictures 😂😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - Friday September 11th 1998, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY Flac

Source info: Matrix Mix of: CSC > D100 and Schoeps MK4 > Dat (with fixes) and MarcSounds > DAT

Is so good! :) 
  • Options
    DW183354DW183354 NYC Posts: 126
    I was there... best show ever. Besides the Breath encore deal the show also included truly superb versions of Rearview, Betterman (with the most perfect 'Save It For Later' tag I've ever heard them do) and an astoundingly good Immortality. Eddie's moonwalk during Evolution. Baba began with the gauntlet being thrown down on fakers preforming the tune and then they just melt the place with theirs. Eddie climbing the mic chord during Alive. 

I mean this show was just madness. More so because they played soooo sooo so damn good!! It also came after a period of time that for a NY'r, it was really hard to see them. Got tickets to by the skin of my teeth for Randals in '96. Here, at MSG, they were playing the ultimate place and back with ticketmaster, so it was easier, somewhat. There was that period of time for me that it just felt impossible to see them. And for this show to happen AND their spirits were so high was bliss. This was the show, for me, that caricatures of who they had been really shook off. That was happening in 96 but by 9-11-98, Eddie's moonwalk was like "we made it... we're okay" 

If memory serves, there were a few missteps 9-10, the first night they played MSG. Wasn't that when they brought out Ken Starr's wall of file boxes on Clinton? Anyway, I picked the right night to go. 

In my head there's pre 98 and post 98. This show, and Yield, and hell, that whole tour was a turning point. A beautiful one. It's a crime there isn't a board recording of this show. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,373
    Well said! Can I please have a link, I dont have a FLAC. THANKS!
  • Options
    The Flac is good!
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    to those asking why venues charge and stealth recordings at places like MSG.  Stealth recording.  If you get caught you pay huge fines.  Union houses that charge to record.  Not 100% sure but a few reasons I have heard are that they are essentially charging you to put the sound of the venue on your recording.  I don't think they put it like that but the thinking is you want to use a recording to make money off our name/venue we want some extra money for it.  Also if a show is being recorded they need to bring in another union that covers the recording aspect of it.  A venue like MSG or Radio City Music Hall has some cachet to it and they charge accordingly.
    Thanks for the info. Then in your opinion would a band be able. if they have their own equipment, to set that up without incident or would that be impossible?
    Pearl Jam was touring with a recording set up of their own but that doesn’t or didn’t matter. And someone mentions the union guy having to hit record. That isn’t the case.  Even if you are completely self contained you still had to pay the fee at certain venues and in some union houses they bring in extra hands from another union to handle help set up the recording stuff.  The other question about putting out shows from MSG lately. Either the band has decided it is worth the cost or the venue has decided to reduce or eliminate the fee. I don’t know which.  Pearl Jam had the foresight to start recording shows early in their career but in 1998 they hadn’t yet come up with the bootleg plan so the MSG fee apparently was too expensive.  And as Brett say in the interview they regretted it because they show was so good. 
  • Options
    Yes, presumably they have either decided it is worth it or MSG has lowered or eliminated the fee. In ‘98 they had come up with the bootleg plan or the live album from the tour yet. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    Make it so.
  • Options
    2 weeks till Yield's 25th Anniversary!

February 3rd 1998

• Options
    demetrios said:
    Pearl Jam - Friday September 11th 1998, Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY Flac

Source info: Matrix Mix of: CSC > D100 and Schoeps MK4 > Dat (with fixes) and MarcSounds > DAT

Anyone still looking?
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    I am not sure why there is so much confusion here. Almost all New York venues had a really brutal policy for things like recording that you had to and in many cases still need to work around.

Bands like the Grateful Dead and Phish who are driven by their live performances always just negotiated this into their touring contracts.  The Dead for example simply said we get to record our shows or we don't play your venue and because they toured so much it was an easy cave for the promoter, further their fans brought in their own rigs to make audience tapes.

The multi track tapes for Pearl Jam at the garden in 1998 don't exist.  There is no wink and nod.  At this stage of the game they could simply pay whatever they were contractually bound to under the venue contract for that time.   
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    The multi track tapes for Pearl Jam at the garden in 1998 don't exist.  There is no wink and nod.  

• Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,628
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Anyone still looking?
    Sure!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    yosi said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Anyone still looking?
    Sure!

You got it!
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,628
    demetrios said:
    yosi said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Anyone still looking?
    Sure!

You got it!
    Thank you!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Yes, please!
  • Options
    yosi said:
    demetrios said:
    yosi said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Anyone still looking?
    Sure!

You got it!
    Thank you!

No problemo! :)
  • Options
    8 more days till the 25th anniversary of one of the greatest albums of all time! 
  • Options
    One more week till the 25th anniversary!
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    All we get is a HD GTF video?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,171
    All we get is a HD GTF video?

It's not actually HD :)  I actually got pretty excited when I got the email, because I immediately though, that means it was recorded on film and not videotape, then that means we can get the whole SVT on bluray or HD digital.   Unfortunately it's Standard Def.   Probably looks better than the DVD, because you would have less digital compression, but it's most definitely SD :bee: 

Back to the topic at hand, I'd really like see Missoula '98 show get a release.  First date of the North American tour and Matt Cameron's first official gig (there was a warmup show in Seattle before it).