Rolling Stone: 200 Greatest Singers of all Time

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• QUEEEEEEEEEEN
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Rollingstone lost their minds decades ago in their ratings along with MTV.  Taylor at 102....
  • This list has Mariah Carey at #5, which tells you everything you need to know about Rolling Stone.
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    Kurt Cobain and Bob Dylan are better singers than Jeff Buckley? Interesting. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I’m impressed that Courtney Love is ranked higher than Bono. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• FlavafrazFlavafraz Pennsylvania Posts: 402
    How can they say hunger strike is his most legendary performance did they ever watch mtv unplugged black. Or countless others that are better 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Kurt Cobain and Bob Dylan are better singers than Jeff Buckley? Interesting. 
    Any list of singers that has Dylan on it loses credibility.  He’d never had a good voice.  
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    True
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Sometimes lists like this are fun to read, but no one should ever take them seriously. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • The first 2 posts were enough, no need to click that link.
  • JimmyV said:
    Sometimes lists like this are fun to read, but no one should ever take them seriously. 
    I read them to get some inspiration mostly. Who cares about any order. It’s just pointless fun. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Cool list. Just think, some kid will read it and maybe discover PJ or other amazing bands! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    How does the same magazine have EV as a top 10 frontman but not even a top 100 singer? You can’t be a shitty singing frontman or nobody would listen 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    How does the same magazine have EV as a top 10 frontman but not even a top 100 singer? You can’t be a shitty singing frontman or nobody would listen 
    Michael Hutchense from INXS was nothing crazy special vocally, but dude was one hell of a frontman. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    the the only one I agree with is # 1 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2023
    Considering all the genres they attempted to incorporate into it, I think the list is pretty fair.  Just my opinion

Only gripe.... Where's Mike Patton?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    There are some people on this list who are just outright magical singers. 
    Some people who I wouldn't put in any top singer list I'd ever make, although I love their music.  
    Guess it is all subjective.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    Michael Hutchense from INXS was nothing crazy special vocally, but dude was one hell of a frontman. 
    Truth. While I wouldn’t say EV is a top 10 singer, his voice and the shit he belts out is pretty damn phenomenal. I would have him in top 50 on voice alone 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • mr bungle said:
    Considering all the genres they attempted to incorporate into it, I think the list is pretty fair.  Just my opinion

He isn’t on the list? That’s brutal. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

This weekend we rock Portland

• THE SHAME!!! 3 SPOTS AHEAD OF EDDIE!!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I saw Taylor Swift do this Piano thing the last time I watch the grammies (which has to be a number of years ago now).  She might of been in the phase where she was drifting from country to pop music.  I don't really know any of her music, but I thought she kicked ass on the performance.  She can definitely sing, it's just that focuses on a genre of music I don't really care for, and it's a genre where it doesn't generally matter if you can sing.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    It's like being a pro wrestler.  You can be the best as wrestling, but if you don't have the it factor, and you can do promos to keep it interesting, it doesn't matter how good of a wrestler you are.

For Eddie, I think think he has a pretty good voice, but he's also really good at performing, which makes him a fantastic frontman.  You need to be able to sing, have the it factor, and be a good performer to be a good frontman.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Poncier said:

Easily top 10 yelper and squealer. 
  • demetrios said:
     I get CL not being on the list based on their criteria. While I don’t deny her talent, she was hardly a transcending artist. 

Sarah McLachlan is far more serving imo. Hope Sandoval and Brandi Carlile are two others I found surprisingly missing on the list.  

And if you can’t tell by now, I have never cared what anyone at Rolling Stone thought.  But lists are fun, YouTubers make a killing off them. 

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    demetrios said:
     I get CL not being on the list based on their criteria. While I don’t deny her talent, she was hardly a transcending artist. 

Sarah McLachlan is far more serving imo. Hope Sandoval and Brandi Carlile are two others I found surprisingly missing on the list.  

And if you can’t tell by now, I have never cared what anyone at Rolling Stone thought.  But lists are fun, YouTubers make a killing off them. 

That's true.

Also add, Beyoncé is way WAY high on that list at #8. Thom Yorke at 34 is a little shocking too, along with Kurt Cobain @ 36.

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    mr bungle said:

Criminal really, Mike has a phenomenal range. 

I cant be arsed to read the entire list but does anyone know where Stipe comes in and if Corey Taylor features?

I saw Courtney Love is ranked a better vocalist than Axl.......FML
  •  "Range" is the most uninteresting criteria ever.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

That's true.

Also add, Beyoncé is way WAY high on that list at #8. Thom Yorke at 34 is a little shocking too, along with Kurt Cobain @ 36.

Surprised Kurt isn't top 10 since they always put him there
    I miss igotid88