Options

How much do you love/hate your current job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    Retired from my "adult" career which I grew to hate, almost 20 years ago
    Now I'm the beer manager at Omaha's largest and best craft beer, wine, and specialty spirits store.
    Yes I get to drink a lot of cool stuff for free.
    No I can't get you any Blanton's.
    But what do you think of Blanton's?

I think it's great when you can find it for MSRP. I've only been able to purchase it at the Buffalo Trace distillery....never seen it on a shelf

Just picked up a whole bunch of allocated BTD products this morning. Including 7 bottles of Blanton.
    I'm not much of a bourbon drinker. I like it but I also know that as a single barrel it varies from batch to batch.
    Most bottles purchased by the "bourbon bros" are sitting on shelves collecting dust and never opened.
    Do you know when it's coming? Or does it just show up?

Also....how does your store handle making it available to customers? Do you hold it back for special customers or does it all just go on the shelf?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    There is a big liquor group in my area that tends to make a lot of the allocated bottles available via raffle. It's kind of a cool thing but also kind of a pain in the ass to have to do it this way. It must work for them though.

I assume they still have a few special customers that they set some bottles aside for but I could be wrong.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,866
    Now I'm the beer manager at Omaha's largest and best craft beer, wine, and specialty spirits store.

I think it's great when you can find it for MSRP. I've only been able to purchase it at the Buffalo Trace distillery....never seen it on a shelf

Just picked up a whole bunch of allocated BTD products this morning. Including 7 bottles of Blanton.
    I'm not much of a bourbon drinker. I like it but I also know that as a single barrel it varies from batch to batch.
    Most bottles purchased by the "bourbon bros" are sitting on shelves collecting dust and never opened.
    Soooo....you COULD get us Blanton's but opt to not do so.  =)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    There is a big liquor group in my area that tends to make a lot of the allocated bottles available via raffle. It's kind of a cool thing but also kind of a pain in the ass to have to do it this way. It must work for them though.

I assume they still have a few special customers that they set some bottles aside for but I could be wrong.

We have a place near me that does the same. I've never participated though. I just go get what they have when I need to get more. Lol
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    10 - Really love my Job
    Year 23 as a High School teacher and coach
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    10 - Really love my Job

Do you know when it's coming? Or does it just show up?

Also....how does your store handle making it available to customers? Do you hold it back for special customers or does it all just go on the shelf?
    We rarely know in advance. I didn't know today and was surprised at how much and the variety. 
    A lot of the rarer bottles go into the vault for future ticketed events, raffles, and loyalty member allocation events.
    The rest go behind the bar for pours and get put out on the shelves on random days at random times. 
    We put out a case of Buffalo Trace yesterday and 2 bottles were still out this morning.
    We very rarely hold any for "special" customers.

We tried many different ways of handling the allocated bourbon and no one was ever happy. 
    The bourbon bros are some whiney bitches.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    10 - Really love my Job
    I LOVE my job; I work for a nonprofit organization so I will never be rich.  I am very passionate about my work and the mission.  I get frustrated daily like anyone else in the workplace.  However, at the end of the day, I help people.  Every single day, my work helps people and is extremely gratifying.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    5 - Feel indifferent

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options

We have a place near me that does the same. I've never participated though. I just go get what they have when I need to get more. Lol
    This same group always does a Whiskeyfest that is fun to go to. It's like $50 for a ticket and you get a raffle ticket and they have samples that you can drink and a little appetizer type buffet. I go with my wife and last year she got a bottle of Stagg, Jr and I got a Weller Antique.

Year before that she snagged a Col Taylor and I got some not so rare bottle because I was really at the back of the raffle draw.

You have to purchase the bottle at retail when it's your turn to pick....kind of a cool way to do things. You might score big and might end up with something not too hard to get but it's fun.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Year 22 of teaching middle school and I"m burnt.  Kids are very different in the post pandemic world.  
    Man i feel for you
     A great man in a world of absolute bullshit.its becoming  a thankless task . With  no benefits. 
    Mike you  are... you are.. a tower of strength to me. 
    Ha ha. This is great!

the first part of your statement is absolutely true and it sucks.  
    You're not great so I don't get it...

=) 
    You're
    You Are

Huh?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Year 22 of teaching middle school and I"m burnt.  Kids are very different in the post pandemic world.  
    Man i feel for you
     A great man in a world of absolute bullshit.its becoming  a thankless task . With  no benefits. 
    Mike you  are... you are.. a tower of strength to me. 
    Ha ha. This is great!

the first part of your statement is absolutely true and it sucks.  
    You're not great so I don't get it...

=) 
    Lyrics from you are.  ;)
    HAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    HR for a cidery.  I consider myself lucky as fuck as I never thought it was possible to like a job, let alone enjoy it.  Until I got here in November 2020 I never would've thought anything higher than a 3-rating would've been possible.  I can't give it a 10, though, because: it's still a job.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    For mys of my 21 years in the used book business, my love of the business has been 9.5 (nothing is perfect, not even books).  But lately it is a weak 7.  It's been a good ride and I'll keep doing it until it finally peters out, but I'm not as enthusiastic as I was for many years.  But I am a bibliophile for life!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Steelworker for the past 5 years 

It was very intimidating leaving a white collar managerial position in a far safer & cleaner industry. I really wasn't sure the work environment and culture were going to be a fit. But, the benefits are phenomenal! The fiancé are in a much more comfortable position. I never take work home...except in 2 ways - and those are what take it down to a 7: I take home dirty clothes/car sometimes and I really dislike swing shift. I'm working towards getting to a department with a better schedule, so that should help. 

@mcgruff10 - I just had dinner with a very tenured teacher last night and we had the same conversation regarding today's youth in the post apocalyptic world. Sorry, man! It has to be brutal. On the flip side, I see that @jojorice is also a teacher but ranks his job as an 8. I'm curious of the differences.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,022

It was very intimidating leaving a white collar managerial position in a far safer & cleaner industry. I really wasn't sure the work environment and culture were going to be a fit. But, the benefits are phenomenal! The fiancé are in a much more comfortable position. I never take work home...except in 2 ways - and those are what take it down to a 7: I take home dirty clothes/car sometimes and I really dislike swing shift. I'm working towards getting to a department with a better schedule, so that should help. 

@mcgruff10 - I just had dinner with a very tenured teacher last night and we had the same conversation regarding today's youth in the post apocalyptic world. Sorry, man! It has to be brutal. On the flip side, I see that @jojorice is also a teacher but ranks his job as an 8. I'm curious of the differences.
    2 years ago I would have said a 2 or 3. The reason I say 8 now is because I've switched classroom settings. This is my 12th year teaching. I spent my first 10 years doing Special Ed. I absolutely hated my SPED job the last 3 or 4 years because of the horrendous paperwork and politics that SPED teachers have to put up with. 

2 years ago I switched departments from SPED to General Ed and it's been a huge difference. Lot less stressful and no more bs paperwork & politics. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    edited December 2022
    JojoRice said:

2 years ago I would have said a 2 or 3. The reason I say 8 now is because I've switched classroom settings. This is my 12th year teaching. I spent my first 10 years doing Special Ed. I absolutely hated my SPED job the last 3 or 4 years because of the horrendous paperwork and politics that SPED teachers have to put up with. 

2 years ago I switched departments from SPED to General Ed and it's been a huge difference. Lot less stressful and no more bs paperwork & politics. 
    My wife has been a high school Special Education teacher for over 15 years. I can attest to the difficulties of the job that don't even involve teaching. She is getting ready to start on her master's degree in speech pathology. Once she has it and moves to that field, her stress load will dissipate considerably.  
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    10 - Really love my Job
    can I change my vote? let you know if I need to after tonight.

weather, particularly like tonights, makes my job actual work. hyper vigilant and attuned to what the road and conditions are telling me and the truck. THEN I also have to contend with the assholes who should have stayed home,  driving scared putting others at risk.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    10 - Really love my Job
    Be safe out there.  Gotta be tough work on days like today.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

weather, particularly like tonights, makes my job actual work. hyper vigilant and attuned to what the road and conditions are telling me and the truck. THEN I also have to contend with the assholes who should have stayed home,  driving scared putting others at risk.
    Take care out there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Hi! said:

I have this shirt!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    5 - Feel indifferent
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi! said:

I have this shirt!
    Love that song.
    I called the phone# and hung up when somebody answered. Wonder how often that happens.😉

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    edited December 2022
    10 - Really love my Job
    mickeyrat said:

Take care out there

appreciate that. No need though, just got the call. We are shut down companywide until Monday. Which is still a holiday but those who choose to can run. I have chosen to. Will also get Holiday pay on top of that.....

THIS is why I love my job and the company I work for.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Take care out there

appreciate that. No need though, just got the call. We are shut down companywide until Monday. Which is still a holiday but those who choose to can run. I have chosen to. Will also get Holiday pay on top of that.....

Great to hear. Like when companies are willing to do the safe thing AND putting some money back in employees pockets.
  • Options
    JojoRice said:

I can absolutely see the SPED gig being very challenging. Much respect for that work.

Oh, and GO DAWGS (for the next 2 games anyhow)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    10 - Really love my Job
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Take care out there

in addition I just received a set of runs for Monday. Can start when I like. just a few miles shy of my normal. Asked if I could run tomorrow if I wanted(get it on this weeks pay) but they said no, in case theres a truck or trailer issue it will be easier to get someone out on Monday than Saturday....

So will get a full week of miles AND holiday pay for  Monday....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    mickeyrat said:

Safe travels 👍 in this weather it’s definitely a challenge! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....