Poster Framing Questions

So, I have a few posters that I NEED to get framed. I have had them for awhile and it is time to get them ready for the walls (been waiting on the basement to be finished). So, they will obviously be hung in a fairly dark (no direct sunlight) finished basement. 

Questions for the veterans:

I understand Hobby Lobby or Michael's might be the best places to go when they have their framing sales. Do you use the same frame for all your posters to keep them uniform and matching? What other options do I need to keep in mind when I carry a poster to the counter? Do I need special glass since they will not be exposed to the sunlight?

Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks, 
Chris
"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Michaels prices have gone up. Over $200 was cheapest option for metal framing, no mat, and cheapest glass option on a PJ 18x24 print. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    UV glass if going in a place with either direct or indirect sunlight. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Holy crap! Maybe I should start by purchasing a frame during one of their frame sales and hanging on to it until they have a framing sale??
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Holy crap! Maybe I should start by purchasing a frame during one of their frame sales and hanging on to it until they have a framing sale??
    It’s a good one time investment to have the really special prints pro framed by them. The ones I had them do aren’t fancy, but I feel good knowing they are properly protected 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,393
    Holy crap! Maybe I should start by purchasing a frame during one of their frame sales and hanging on to it until they have a framing sale??
    Michael’s is 80% of through tomorrow. I’m getting a 30”x40” poster framed for under $200. 
  • Art to frame is a good option if it’s going in a basement etc. Just put in the dimensions and go!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Chris, see if you have an independent framer close to where you live.  If you bring in they can show you what they can do within budget.  Should be cheaper with no sunlight contact so no need for special glass.  My local would usually knock off some if I brought in multiples to do at once. 
    I've never gone the Michael's route....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MS149515MS149515 Posts: 192
    edited December 2022
    So, I have a few posters that I NEED to get framed. I have had them for awhile and it is time to get them ready for the walls (been waiting on the basement to be finished). So, they will obviously be hung in a fairly dark (no direct sunlight) finished basement. 

Questions for the veterans:

I understand Hobby Lobby or Michael's might be the best places to go when they have their framing sales. Do you use the same frame for all your posters to keep them uniform and matching? What other options do I need to keep in mind when I carry a poster to the counter? Do I need special glass since they will not be exposed to the sunlight?

Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks, 
    Chris
    Skip the big box stores and go to a local frame shop. Pay particular attention to how the frame is put together as I’ve had Michael’s frames come apart from the weight of the glass and matte; I then had those prints re-framed by a local shop. You WILL pay more but the quality of the materials and work done is what you get. 

Also, you can skip the UV glass but I don’t recommend it. Always think about the future, you may want to display a poster in a main part of the house as a pop of style most people don’t have/do. Light goes wherever it wants so UV glass is always worth it. 

Lastly, don’t frame them all at once, that diminishes the fun. This will also help with the costs. 

EDIT - I forgot to add that I vary the frames and matting that I use and only use the same frame if it's a series of prints or there is a running theme. This will help to draw out the best qualities of the print. A local framer can also help with suggestions of frame/matte combinations. 

Send me a DM and I can (probably) send you photos of properly done frame corners, I have a lot of frames that I'd need to check. 
    Post edited by MS149515 on
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,157
    I have mutiple nightmare stories from Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I had no idea how bad their work was until years later.

They cut notches into one of my prints to make it fit in the frame. I'm guessing that they measured incorrectly, and ordered the materials too small. 

They drymounted a print after specifically being told not to drymount it.

They have ruined several of my prints by not using preservation friendly materials. Usually the chemicals/acid in mats have left a dark stain around the borders of my posters.

When I confronted them politely about this, they basically admitted that their work isn't quality, and that I should look elsewhere for my framing needs.
    Art to frame is a good option if it’s going in a basement etc. Just put in the dimensions and go!
    And that’s poster dimensions right? The drop down says ‘frame’ which makes me nervous. So if I have an 18x24 print, that’s what I put in, even with a mat option? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Art to frame is a good option if it’s going in a basement etc. Just put in the dimensions and go!
    And that’s poster dimensions right? The drop down says ‘frame’ which makes me nervous. So if I have an 18x24 print, that’s what I put in, even with a mat option? 
    If you click on the top where it says your size it will say your finished size after adding the mat. So finished size of an 18 x 24 will be 24.5 x 30.5 with the frame and mat.  

Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Thank you Chris, Brett and the rest. I think I will look into using a local framer with more experience in specialized items. Though I have know idea what you call a local framer. :rofl:

Side question (in my best Liam Neeson voice): I possess a very particular set of skills....in woodworking. Anyone ever make their own poster frames? Wondering if a professional framer would be willing to frame a poster in a frame they didn't sell themselves.
  • Local framer?
    Independent business owner, professional framing shop, local to you.  
    I can only speak for my two shops near me...one would probably have embraced your frame creation (he's dead now) and the other one is unlikely to.
    You'd have to chat them up, make a friend 

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Art to frame is a good option if it’s going in a basement etc. Just put in the dimensions and go!
    I was going to say the same thing. I use art to frame for almost all my custom framing. 

And yes that is poster size. If you want a mat it will add the dimensions for you. And you should be able to select mat size, like 1” or 2” I believe. It also defaults to double matted. I always just use single, so be sure to select single. I forgot to once and I got a second black mat that I didnt want. Also saves you like $10 to do just one. If you read the directions it says they add something 1/8” to your poster size to make sure it fits the frame. But you can be as exact as you want, If your poster has a bigger border on it and your getting it matted, you can enter slightly smaller size . I’ve done that to hide edge damage or just thought it looked better with a smaller (or none) natural border.

I wait until I need 3 or 4 frames and see a coupon for free shipping or something. Comes out to about $50 matted if you get a basic frame with upgraded plexi.. Can spend a little more and get a nicer frame.i probably have about a dozen or so.

no complains so far, have always fit perfectly and look great. Except for the one poster I didn’t upgrade the plexus, it looks cheap.worth the extra few bucks.
    Ive heard bad stories about Michaels too, I’ve used them for standard frames and been okay.

If it’s standard size I usually buy a standard frame on sale from Michaels. If you want it matted they will cut it and frame it for about $20. Stay away from their really cheap standard frames, they look really cheap even on the wall. I’ve thrown a few out and upgraded when I started framing all mine..
    Thank you Chris, Brett and the rest. I think I will look into using a local framer with more experience in specialized items. Though I have know idea what you call a local framer. :rofl:

Side question (in my best Liam Neeson voice): I possess a very particular set of skills....in woodworking. Anyone ever make their own poster frames? Wondering if a professional framer would be willing to frame a poster in a frame they didn't sell themselves.
    I don’t know about a local professional. But We’ve had Michaels re-mat artwork for cheap. So it’s possible. But if you’re making the frame might be better off to just order the glass and mat and assembling it yourself. They might do that. Could even contact art to frames and see if they would do that too.
    Most posters aren’t worth what a local framer would charge, and I hate spending more on the frame than the poster.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,931
    Sunlight isn’t the only source of uv light that can damage prints.  Indoor lights can also give off uv light depending on the type of bulbs you’re using and will damage prints just like sunlight. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2022
    mace1229 said:
    Thank you Chris, Brett and the rest. I think I will look into using a local framer with more experience in specialized items. Though I have know idea what you call a local framer. :rofl:

Most posters aren’t worth what a local framer would charge, and I hate spending more on the frame than the poster.
    I feel about the same way. When it comes down to it these are $30-$40 posters. I have mine framed at Hobby Lobby, I don't ever plan on selling any that I have framed so as long as they look nice on my wall that's all I really care about. I have about 10 framed now.

If I had any thought of reselling, I would never frame them and just put them in a portfolio. The time is about to come for me to frame the 5-6 I really want framed and sell the rest in my portfolio.... not getting any younger...lol
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I don't have any spectacular prints (EV Chicago 2011 pair are bybfar my best) to frame but will still upload them to the framed posters thread when I get them done.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,931
    Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I don't have any spectacular prints (EV Chicago 2011 pair are bybfar my best) to frame but will still upload them to the framed posters thread when I get them done.
    My framed posters are my favorite Pearl Jam things.  It’s nice they have value, but they all have amazing memories of great shows, friends and travels that are happily provoked when I look at them. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Another option for cheap and possibly good framing is to stalk places like FB Marketplace for people selling framed art in the size you need. I picked up a frame for my 2016 Ottawa print for like 40 bucks. Took it apart, threw out the ugly print inside and ended up with custom acid framed materials. The overlap is a tiny bit too much but I don't really care for the price. The only catch is you just have to be patient. 

• I thought I posted this here, but there has to be another poster thread somewhere. I have a blank wall that is in need of some Pearl Jam poster-loving! The only problem is the new barn door my wife and I built. When open, it covers the wall. How do you frame a poster flat? I have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to play with, but that is it. I thought about sandwiching it between two pieces of plexi but not sure what else to do. 

Scotch tape it to the wall is probably all that will work for 1/8”.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Frame It Easy is a great online resource. I've used them to frame a couple of my favorite prints. They may have something that's really thin for you, Stardog. Have you thought about using a float frame? Those are pretty skinny as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mace1229 said:
    Scotch tape it to the wall is probably all that will work for 1/8”.
    Oh man! I guess I should use that on my PJ20 Billboard print. Thoughts?
  • mfc2006 said:
    Frame It Easy is a great online resource. I've used them to frame a couple of my favorite prints. They may have something that's really thin for you, Stardog. Have you thought about using a float frame? Those are pretty skinny as well.
    Thought about that. But I guess the pegs stick out too far.
  • Art to Frame....really nice set up. You can upload a pic of the poster and choose matting color and frame color before you lock it in.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    The hanging hardware on a frame alone would probably stick out 1/8”.
    Only options I can think of would be unconventional. Like using the mat without a frame and attach the mat to the wall. Probably wouldn’t look right though.
  • I thought I posted this here, but there has to be another poster thread somewhere. I have a blank wall that is in need of some Pearl Jam poster-loving! The only problem is the new barn door my wife and I built. When open, it covers the wall. How do you frame a poster flat? I have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to play with, but that is it. I thought about sandwiching it between two pieces of plexi but not sure what else to do. 

Yeah man, that's tough. Best I can think of might me to somehow mount the frame to a hinge that you could swing open to the left. Maybe make it so the frame is somehow double sided so a different poster is shown when you open it against the other wall (the wall on the left of the picture above. 

Or maybe you could use matting only (as someone else mentioned above) and just hang 1 or 2 of a lesser desirable poster that would just be there as a blank space filler. That way it doesn't matter if it is taped, scratched or ruined.
  • Mount it in your wall.
    Nothing says poster love like cutting a hole in your wall.
  • StardogChamp79StardogChamp79 Posts: 1,007
    edited December 2022
    I thought I posted this here, but there has to be another poster thread somewhere. I have a blank wall that is in need of some Pearl Jam poster-loving! The only problem is the new barn door my wife and I built. When open, it covers the wall. How do you frame a poster flat? I have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to play with, but that is it. I thought about sandwiching it between two pieces of plexi but not sure what else to do. 

Yeah man, that's tough. Best I can think of might me to somehow mount the frame to a hinge that you could swing open to the left. Maybe make it so the frame is somehow double sided so a different poster is shown when you open it against the other wall (the wall on the left of the picture above. 

Or maybe you could use matting only (as someone else mentioned above) and just hang 1 or 2 of a lesser desirable poster that would just be there as a blank space filler. That way it doesn't matter if it is taped, scratched or ruined.
    Dude! This is a badass idea! could definitely  put it on a hinge or something. I might look in to that!