Playing of the National Anthem

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
Appropriate for any sporting event or any international?
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Playing of the National Anthem 17 votes

Any sporting event
29%
MayDay10DukeSpiritmace1229BLACK35Choccoloccotide 5 votes
Only international
70%
mcgruff10Spiritual_ChaosSmellymanBH76306OnWis97Gern Blanstenjpgoegeleddiectempo_n_grooveHughFreakingDillonConorKavanaghGlorified KC 12 votes

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    None imo. I think it’s a silly tradition. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited November 2022
    I guess NHL is stuck with getting a national anthem, a true mix of international players in every game and almost a quarter of teams based outside the US, and the majority of teams that are US based playing a truly Canadian sport. Hockey is wonderfully international assuming Manitoba is not a secret US state in disguise.

I’d rather not have the anthems before games but it’s a chance for us to believe there is some sort of patriotic unity in the US, at least for a minute or two. 

There’s another thing that’s now a requirement for hockey games, standing ovation for a military member of the night. It used to be brutal after the Iraq and Afghan invasions, had a very political appeal/disgust for those of us against those US wars. Now not as bad but always a weird vibe because…  

a number of years ago, after the Iraq war ended, the islanders announced a true great, four time champion, hall of famer, was in the building for he first time in years, Bryan Trottier. Maybe half the crowd stood and cheered. Maybe less.

then an hour or so later was the nightly military appreciation moment, which is now almost a forced standing ovation, getting almost 100% of the fans on their (edit sp) feet . I am very thankful some are willing to risk their lives to protect the country, but it’s weird when a team legend who is almost never in the building gets half the recognition from fans

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited November 2022
    Only international
    Along the same path, We say the pledge of allegiance every day at school; I wish they could scale that back to like once a week.  It s just weird to me to say it every single morning.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Along the same path, We say the pledge of allegiance every day at school; I wish they could scale that back to like once a week.  It s just weird to me to say it every single morning.  

and you would be who again?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    its 50/50 on whether I stand and participate. I served.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Only international
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

:) I hope all is well my friend.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited November 2022
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

:) I hope all is well my friend.  
    Sept 21 entry
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243174/on-the-road-again-or-in-my-truck-v-2-0#latest
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I've never understood the connection.   I guess you could say I believe in separation of sport and state. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• None
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    brianlux said:
    I've never understood the connection.   I guess you could say I believe in separation of sport and state. 

mickeyrat said:

read this.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    none.

stupid tradition.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Only international
    It feels like forced Patriotism. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Only international
    eddiec said:

It's made for the fake patriots to yell at people to take off their hat.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:

read this.
    That's an interesting story about that time.
    Not to disparage that incident, but I still prefer to let sports be about sports.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Smellyman said:
    eddiec said:

It's made for the fake patriots to yell at people to take off their hat.
    Yeah the same folks who think storming the Capitol is not a big deal! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Only international
    It's a strange ritual for sure.

I have season tickets to an ECHL hockey team so we attend about 35 games per year. 

I don't think I would mind the anthem as much if the delivery was consistent. I have always felt like they should just play the Marine Band performance. It is a quick tempo and instruments only.

At the hockey games they have a variety of people singing it. Honestly the middle school choirs that come in are generally the best. They sing it at a good tempo and there is no showboating. Individual singers tend to make it like an American Idol audition. They draw the fucker out about twice as long as it should be. One guy in particular gives it this country twang that makes me want to hurl myself off the balcony.

And then....every fucking game we have to listen to that stupidass Lee Greenwood song and have any former or current service member stand up to receive applause. To me it just demeans their service. I could see doing it on Military appreciation night (which we have once or twice a year) but every fucking game? It just cheapens it in my opinion. No way am I not impressed with or appreciative of their service....it's just another odd ritual.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Only international
    I think "never" would be an appropriate option. That said, I'm OK with it for international (not the Maple Leafs vs the Red Wings, but France vs. Brazil).

It seems that in the United States, once you do something "patriotic" it's hard to go back. So now it's God Bless America in the seventh-inning-stretch on Sundays (maybe every game in some places). It's ultimately just socially pressured compliance with people ready to pounce on anyone that doesn't take off their hat or stand solemnly.  

I've had this discussion elsewhere and of course someone pointed out that our country (and what they think makes it great) is more important than some game. OK, well, it's more important than my breakfast, too but I don't sing it before I eat.

It's OK just to go to an event and not shed a manly, patriotic tear.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Only international
    OnWis97 said:
    I think "never" would be an appropriate option. That said, I'm OK with it for international (not the Maple Leafs vs the Red Wings, but France vs. Brazil).

It seems that in the United States, once you do something "patriotic" it's hard to go back. So now it's God Bless America in the seventh-inning-stretch on Sundays (maybe every game in some places). It's ultimately just socially pressured compliance with people ready to pounce on anyone that doesn't take off their hat or stand solemnly.  

I've had this discussion elsewhere and of course someone pointed out that our country (and what they think makes it great) is more important than some game. OK, well, it's more important than my breakfast, too but I don't sing it before I eat.

It's OK just to go to an event and not shed a manly, patriotic tear.
    Yeah and there are people in line at the concession stands, people taking shits, etc., that don't stand while it's being played either.

Yes, technically you are standing in line at the concession stand but it's not like everyone drops what they are doing and streams back into the arena to listen.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Cancellers!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Only international
    The Yankees play God Bless America at every damn game too...

I stand and take off my hat if I'm wearing one at a sporting event.  It means a lot to some so I don't want to ruffle any feathers.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited November 2022
    Any sporting event
    Its not like I go to so many live sports that I get tired of it. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. I always enjoyed it as a kid. Its fun to hear it live and sing along. It may seem like a silly tradition, but so many traditions are silly. I don't get why anyone is upset over it really. Be indifferent, but why it upsets some people I don't understand.
    And I always believed they do it in professional sports because they are "national" teams. The N in NBA, NHL, NFL is "national". Only one that doesn't have national in the name is MLB, but they have the "world" series. Always was kind of funny to me since there are only a couple teams not in the USA, and none of the NFL is outside the US, right?
    Don't they do "O Canada" at a Canadian home game? Went to a Blue Jays game when I was there for a PJ show. Pretty sure they did it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Only international
    mace1229 said:
    Its not like I go to so many live sports that I get tired of it. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. I always enjoyed it as a kid. Its fun to hear it live and sing along. It may seem like a silly tradition, but so many traditions are silly. I don't get why anyone is upset over it really. Be indifferent, but why it upsets some people I don't understand.
    And I always believed they do it in professional sports because they are "national" teams. The N in NBA, NHL, NFL is "national". Only one that doesn't have national in the name is MLB, but they have the "world" series. Always was kind of funny to me since there are only a couple teams not in the USA, and none of the NFL is outside the US, right?
    Don't they do "O Canada" at a Canadian home game? Went to a Blue Jays game when I was there for a PJ show. Pretty sure they did it.
    Blue Jays fans hear both anthems at every game, since every opponent is from the US. When I see the Blue Jays as the road team in the States, I get two anthems.

Part of the problem with the anthem is that it is political in itself. Either you fall in line or (depending on who you are...fan, player, etc.) risk being vilified in some way. I believe a guy was kicked out of a Yankees game (over ten years ago by now) for leaving his seat during the anthem. And we saw what happened to Kaepernick. We talk a big game about accepting differences, but we do all of these patriotic/nationalistic things to make sure people stay in line.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Only international
    Yeah whenever we play a Canadian team at home both anthems are played. CA has a very nice anthem.

I am mostly annoyed at the showboating. I don't mind it being played I guess....I just wish the performance was consistent. It isn't a song whose tempo should be deviated from in my opinion.

• nicknyr15 said:

eddiec said:

Only international
    nicknyr15 said:

eddiec said:

that's how I feel when they play that Lee Greenwood song that I discussed above....especially when we have games Fri/Sat/Sun and do that same fucking thing every time

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I play it every morning before breakfast.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Only international
    I think I started a thread about this same topic some time ago. 

I think it’s dumb, for local sports anyway. International I get. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Yeah whenever we play a Canadian team at home both anthems are played. CA has a very nice anthem.

I am mostly annoyed at the showboating. I don't mind it being played I guess....I just wish the performance was consistent. It isn't a song whose tempo should be deviated from in my opinion.

damn, ECHL that dedication is impressive! One of the things that is bothersome about the anthem at Isles games, it can be a bit grueling getting to the game, heavy traffic, packed trains (we have direct train service to Belmont now!) long walk, long line getting in, long wait at concessions, and finally can sip that beer and have that burger! Nope wait, must stand, anthem time, figure out how to hold the food, drink, hat, etc without dropping it, all for fake patriotism.

But I think you nailed it about the military moment. We must stand, but yes, they don’t check the stalls, but it’s not like I can run to the bathroom with no notice, once the you must stand message is played. I am thankful folks volunteer for he armed forces, but this new culture thanks to the Iraq war is frustrating.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I play it every morning before breakfast.
    See the source image