Options

Should Pearl Jam delete their Twitter account?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,950
    trees said:
    Deleting their Twitter would be silly. It wouldn’t make the statement that many here probably think it would (I’m sorry but the band’s reach isn’t what it once was) and the format of Twitter hasn’t changed at changed all since it was recently purchased. Those leaving the platform in light of recent events are overreacting and I suspect many of them will be back simply because they crave the attention.

That said, I’m someone who personally thinks most social media is a waste of time so my life wouldn’t change much at all.
    What happened anyway ? 
    Democrats have hurt feelings, don’t realize “their” party causes just as many problems with this country as anything Trump has done because they don’t research anything. 
    HAHA, it was the trumpsters who were hightailing it off twitter to truth social once their cult leader got banned. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    liberals just don't want it to turn back into a cesspool of mis/disinformation. all in the name of "freedumb". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,761
    edited November 2022
    If Twitter didn't censor legitimate news that didn't fit the narratives they wanted out there (such as studies or opinions on the Wuhan lab leak), then this Musk thing would've never happened. Same thing goes with Hunter Biden's laptop. While that wasn't nearly as important as the origins of the pandemic, it was true. And to censor the New York Post for reporting on it is bullshit and that's why someone with enough money to buy it, bought it. Now, hopefully he runs it into the ground and it goes away forever. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    opinions on the wuhan lab leak is not "news". it was (and still is) conjecture and people were legitimately afraid that it would lead to violence against asians. which it did. 

https://ccncsj.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Anti-Asian-Racism-Across-Canada-Two-Years-Into-The-Pandemic_March-2022.pdf

the hunter biden laptop thing is also nothing, and they didn't want it leading to more election-meddling bullshit by the right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    opinions on the wuhan lab leak is not "news". it was (and still is) conjecture and people were legitimately afraid that it would lead to violence against asians. which it did. 

https://ccncsj.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Anti-Asian-Racism-Across-Canada-Two-Years-Into-The-Pandemic_March-2022.pdf

the hunter biden laptop thing is also nothing, and they didn't want it leading to more election-meddling bullshit by the right. 

I'm not talking about random users. Links to opinions by credentialed scientists (more credentialed than Fauci) were not allowed.

As for Biden's laptop, if it's true, then an article about it should be able to be posted without being censored or without people sharing it being called Russian agents. "Election-meddling bullshit?" To censor a story like that because you think it could hurt Biden in the election (which it wouldn't have) IS election-meddling bullshit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    no, I mean because people make up stories that are based on nothing linking the laptop story to biden. if it was legit, post away. but it wasn't. and you know how social media works: one idiot celebrity retweets something and all of a sudden to millions it's taken as fact, and that cat can't be put back in the bag. 

of course I wasn't suggesting snuffing out a real story that might hurt my preferred candidate. come on. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I'm not talking about random users. Links to opinions by credentialed scientists (more credentialed than Fauci) were not allowed.

As for Biden's laptop, if it's true, then an article about it should be able to be posted without being censored or without people sharing it being called Russian agents. "Election-meddling bullshit?" To censor a story like that because you think it could hurt Biden in the election (which it wouldn't have) IS election-meddling bullshit. 
    more credentialed than fuaci? um, ok. the guy spent his entire life studying infectious diseases. And plus, credentialed or not, it was still just opinion. who cares how credentialed they are? there was still no proof or anything to back it up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

more credentialed than fuaci? um, ok. the guy spent his entire life studying infectious diseases. And plus, credentialed or not, it was still just opinion. who cares how credentialed they are? there was still no proof or anything to back it up. 
    Umm, ok, Fauci isn’t the only person who’s studied infectious diseases his entire life. And by “opinions,” I mean opinions backed by research. There were many studies done by scientists all over the globe about this virus, but if their conclusions was that the lab leak was most likely, it wasn’t allowed on Twitter. So they need definitive proof that it’s a lab leak, but Fauci can claim it’s likely from the nearby wet market…with no proof. 

I don’t want to litigate Fauci or the virus though. My overall point is that that stuff like that led Musk to buy Twitter….as he’s said.  

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,385
    No.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,379
    I don’t give two rats asses about it! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Umm, ok, Fauci isn’t the only person who’s studied infectious diseases his entire life. And by “opinions,” I mean opinions backed by research. There were many studies done by scientists all over the globe about this virus, but if their conclusions was that the lab leak was most likely, it wasn’t allowed on Twitter. So they need definitive proof that it’s a lab leak, but Fauci can claim it’s likely from the nearby wet market…with no proof. 

I don’t want to litigate Fauci or the virus though. My overall point is that that stuff like that led Musk to buy Twitter….as he’s said.  
    fauci said they don't know, but the most logical explanation was that came from the wet market. some scientists disagreed and thought it was a lab leak. 

one leads to nothing. the other leads to race-based violence. we've seen how quickly bullshit on twitter leads to mob rule. I think the reasoning is clear. it's responsible misinformation editing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    If it means a Riot Act Deluxe box set, yes - delete.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,385
    If it means an Atlantic Canadian Tour every year, yes - delete.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,304
    The Double Speedy.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    edited November 2022

I don't think the lab leak concept lead to any more violence than saying it came from a Chinese wet market though. No one had an issue claiming the wet market theory and blaming Chinese culture on that, so why not look into the reasons it could also be from the lab?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,610

fauci said they don't know, but the most logical explanation was that came from the wet market. some scientists disagreed and thought it was a lab leak. 

one leads to nothing. the other leads to race-based violence. we've seen how quickly bullshit on twitter leads to mob rule. I think the reasoning is clear. it's responsible misinformation editing. 
    We need to be careful here.  I don’t think we should limit conversation and exchanges of ideas based on what some crazy people will do.   Limiting speech can equally create problems (and likely create more problems).  
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    The Double Speedy.
    Yes! 
  • Options
    Mods closing down thread in 3....2....1.....
  • Options

We need to be careful here.  I don’t think we should limit conversation and exchanges of ideas based on what some crazy people will do.   Limiting speech can equally create problems (and likely create more problems).  
    I'm not advocating "limiting speech". and I think twitter was careful before, and did a pretty decent job. they didn't just ban someone for one strike. they banned them for repeated offences, or inciting violence, and if they just posted misinformation, they'd have it tagged as "misleading info", which I think was great. What Musk is doing is the wild west of bullshit. from what I just saw Dinesh D'Souza post (I keep having to mute or block people I can't stand all over again), complaining that "no liberals have been reinstated because none of them were banned as twitter used to be a site of censorship of conservatives where liberals were allowed to spew bullshit and lies" and musk responded "correct". 

they've fucked with the algorithms so now all I'm seeing is political bullshit that I don't want to see away from here. So I'll be gone. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,741
    If Twitter didn't censor legitimate news that didn't fit the narratives they wanted out there (such as studies or opinions on the Wuhan lab leak), then this Musk thing would've never happened. Same thing goes with Hunter Biden's laptop. While that wasn't nearly as important as the origins of the pandemic, it was true. And to censor the New York Post for reporting on it is bullshit and that's why someone with enough money to buy it, bought it. Now, hopefully he runs it into the ground and it goes away forever. 
    Wait, you really think Musk only bought Twitter because of 'censorship'?  Give me a break.  If that's the truth, he is the worst businessman of all time.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Wait, you really think Musk only bought Twitter because of 'censorship'?  Give me a break.  If that's the truth, he is the worst businessman of all time.  
    Wait, you really think Musk bought Twitter to turn a profit? Give me a break. If that's the truth, THEN he is the worst businessman of all time. 

But that's likely not the case because it's pretty much impossible for him to get any return on this investment. It's just a billionaire throwing his money around. He wanted something....so he bought it. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    he actually IS trying to turn a profit by firing 95% of his staff and charging a blue check subscription fee. He also keeps touting the increase in traffic, which obviously means (he thinks) higher ad revenue. So yes, he is trying to turn a profit here, and getting attention at the same time. 

Major advertisers are already jumping ship here and probably not coming back. The place is going down hill. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,393
    Poncier said:
    The Double Speedy.
    Yes! Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    he actually IS trying to turn a profit by firing 95% of his staff and charging a blue check subscription fee. He also keeps touting the increase in traffic, which obviously means (he thinks) higher ad revenue. So yes, he is trying to turn a profit here, and getting attention at the same time. 

Major advertisers are already jumping ship here and probably not coming back. The place is going down hill. 
    He’s definitely trying to cut losses but he didn’t buy Twitter to make a profit from it because that’s impossible. There’s no way Twitter can or will bring in more than the $44 billion he paid for it. Nor will he ever be able to sell it for more than he paid for it. But after paying that much, he might as well try to minimize his losses as much as he can. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,741
    mrussel1 said:
    Wait, you really think Musk bought Twitter to turn a profit? Give me a break. If that's the truth, THEN he is the worst businessman of all time. 

But that's likely not the case because it's pretty much impossible for him to get any return on this investment. It's just a billionaire throwing his money around. He wanted something....so he bought it. 
    I don't believe that he didn't think he could turn it profitable.  Do you think he's willing to operate at a loss in perpetuity?  That doesn't make any sense.  It is bleeding cash.  Knowing that it's bleeding, it would eventually have to fold if it doesn't become profitable.  I don't think he bought it to kill it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't believe that he didn't think he could turn it profitable.  Do you think he's willing to operate at a loss in perpetuity?  That doesn't make any sense.  It is bleeding cash.  Knowing that it's bleeding, it would eventually have to fold if it doesn't become profitable.  I don't think he bought it to kill it. 
    Yes, I think he’s willing to lose money on this. I think he’ll try to minimize those losses as best he can, but there’s no way he could’ve thought he could make money on this. I know you can’t get to his level of success without a giant ego, but you also can’t be that successful by being fucking delusional…which he’d have to be to think he’s going to get a return on this investment. I think he just wants to rule Twitter and that’s why he forked over the cash. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    edited November 2022
    Forget it. 
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,616
    I liked what Jack White said. Billionaire Musk trying to skirt tax laws by my first moving to Texas, and then supporting Republicans whose policies favor the wealthy. Using Twitter to control political narrative and tax policy.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Idk if they should delete their Twitter but they should definitely delete this thread
  • Options
    I liked what Jack White said. Billionaire Musk trying to skirt tax laws by my first moving to Texas, and then supporting Republicans whose policies favor the wealthy. Using Twitter to control political narrative and tax policy.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/trent-reznor-joe-bonamassa-jack-white-twitter-instagram