Options

My ultra frustrating guitar search... suggestions appreciated!

13»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    brianlux said:
    brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

just something to maybe consider.

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 
    oh yeah if i had the cash there would be no question, lol....

i would think you would be able to find something for under 2k if you do not mind that it shows it's age. if you have concerns about the lacquer and skin irritation and stuff from a new guitar, maybe an old one will be better. only thing is the old ones tend to be heavier than the new weight relieved ones. 

Good point about weight- something to keep in mind! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 

i would think you would be able to find something for under 2k if you do not mind that it shows it's age. if you have concerns about the lacquer and skin irritation and stuff from a new guitar, maybe an old one will be better. only thing is the old ones tend to be heavier than the new weight relieved ones. 

definitely.

also, i just went to the guitar shop and the 1975 les paul i was looking at sold yesterday. oh well, on to the next object of my gear lust, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for the advice!

definitely.

also, i just went to the guitar shop and the 1975 les paul i was looking at sold yesterday. oh well, on to the next object of my gear lust, haha.
    Oh darn!  Sorry to hear that.
    I'm pretty sure someone somewhere out there once said, "There's always one more guitar!" :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Here's a very affordable Gretsch someone suggested for me.  It look very promising!  I'm going to see if Nicholson's down in Folsom have one for me to check out.  Sure looks good!

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    brianlux said:
    Here's a very affordable Gretsch someone suggested for me.  It look very promising!  I'm going to see if Nicholson's down in Folsom have one for me to check out.  Sure looks good!

You might be surprised at just how nice those guitars are to play. I've been impressed with nearly every one I've checked out. 

I hope you find a keeper!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

You might be surprised at just how nice those guitars are to play. I've been impressed with nearly every one I've checked out. 

Thanks, man.  I'm stoked to have found a good candidate for what I've been seeking and what you said is encouraging that way!

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man.  I'm stoked to have found a good candidate for what I've been seeking and what you said is encouraging that way!
    I love my Gretsch Electromatic!! So much fun to play!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

I love my Gretsch Electromatic!! So much fun to play!

Another thumbs up, thank you!

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    brianlux said:

That is a nice looking guitar!. Hopefully it works for you.
  • Options
    the p-90 in the neck probably sounds pretty damn good. what is in the bridge? a filtertron maybe? if so, that's a nice combo.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    the p-90 in the neck probably sounds pretty damn good. what is in the bridge? a filtertron maybe? if so, that's a nice combo.
    lol yeah i am a dummy. i posted without clicking the link lol...

i did click it now and some of those colors look great on that guitar. hope it works out, brian!!

• Options
    edited October 2023
    lol yeah i am a dummy. i posted without clicking the link lol...

i did click it now and some of those colors look great on that guitar. hope it works out, brian!!

All for not, my friend.  I checked one out at down at Nicholson's and the sucker was nice but too heavy!  The had a Fender Mustang that I checked out though and despite some options I didn't care for (a pastel blue which would be nice if you're into Ken and Barbie, haha, and single coils that didn't sound so good), but I'm thinking that with P-90 (which is an option) that might be a good choice and won't break the bank at $800.  I asked the guy to let me know if the get any in.  That neck felt great.  And weight wise they  only run about 7 1/2 pounds on average.  What I hope they might get in would be one that looks like this:
    Fender Player Series Mustang 90 Guitar Review  Guitars For Idiots