Options

Dahmer TV series

I want to talk about this show so there will be tons of spoilers so back out now if you haven't watched or lived under a rock 30 years ago.

Comments

• Options
    OK so watched a few episodes of Dahmer w my GF.  I explained to her what Dahmer was like and how he initially didn't get caught when he should have, the Laotian boy that was given back to him, the ineptitude of policing back then, the torsos in the drum that was taken out, the testicles he would plan to eat later, trying to make people into zombie sex slaves, how he was killed by someone who claimed to be God when Dahmer always thought he was the devil...

Anywho, I read a lot of books and watched a lot of TV on him back when this first happened so I knew pretty much everything I have seen in the first couple of episodes we watched.

My thing is they make Dahmer out to be creepy.  He wasn't.  He was charismatic and could speak well which is why he most likely got out of some situations that he did.  Not spooky like the show portrays him as.  That is why he lured so many people back with him.  He was smart but the show portrays him as slow.

Anyone else watching this?  Thoughts?  My GF's kids are freaked out by what he did as they should and I am thankful we haven't had anyone of this caliber of menace since him.

I guess they filmed it this way for dramatic effect?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I really want to watch this, but my wife is hesitant to. Don't really have time to watch shows on my own, so have to convince her. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    OK so watched a few episodes of Dahmer w my GF.  I explained to her what Dahmer was like and how he initially didn't get caught when he should have, the Laotian boy that was given back to him, the ineptitude of policing back then, the torsos in the drum that was taken out, the testicles he would plan to eat later, trying to make people into zombie sex slaves, how he was killed by someone who claimed to be God when Dahmer always thought he was the devil...

Anywho, I read a lot of books and watched a lot of TV on him back when this first happened so I knew pretty much everything I have seen in the first couple of episodes we watched.

My thing is they make Dahmer out to be creepy.  He wasn't.  He was charismatic and could speak well which is why he most likely got out of some situations that he did.  Not spooky like the show portrays him as.  That is why he lured so many people back with him.  He was smart but the show portrays him as slow.

Anyone else watching this?  Thoughts?  My GF's kids are freaked out by what he did as they should and I am thankful we haven't had anyone of this caliber of menace since him.

He could speak but he was shy and awkward. I thought they did a pretty good job with that in the series.

Reminds me of the scene in school where the jock asked him to do his impression of a retarded person and he just takes it way too far.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

He could speak but he was shy and awkward. I thought they did a pretty good job with that in the series.

Reminds me of the scene in school where the jock asked him to do his impression of a retarded person and he just takes it way too far.
    Watch his interviews.  He could talk very well and was not at all like what is on the screen, to me at least.  He pauses wayyy too much in the show.

He was asked to "do the Dahmer" in school.  Do they actually show that?   I'm trying to remember what it was that he actually did now.  It's been a bit.
  • Options

Watch his interviews.  He could talk very well and was not at all like what is on the screen, to me at least.  He pauses wayyy too much in the show.

He was asked to "do the Dahmer" in school.  Do they actually show that?   I'm trying to remember what it was that he actually did now.  It's been a bit.
    yes he did his impression in the hallway....started off kind of funny but then he just took it too far. He just didn't know when to stop was the impression I got. Then it just became weird.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I want to talk about this show so there will be tons of spoilers so back out now if you haven't watched or lived under a rock 30 years ago.

Can I comment about this show if I haven't seen it, will not see it, and don't care about the spoilers?  (I said something about this elsewhere, so I think you may know what I would say if I can post here.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

yes he did his impression in the hallway....started off kind of funny but then he just took it too far. He just didn't know when to stop was the impression I got. Then it just became weird.
    Yeah, that wasn't what I read from back in the day.  His classmates liked when he did it.  That's embellishing by the director.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Can I comment about this show if I haven't seen it, will not see it, and don't care about the spoilers?  (I said something about this elsewhere, so I think you may know what I would say if I can post here.)
    Yes.  Have at it.  I read up on him when this all first happened so I'd be interested in what you have to say.
  • Options
    OK, thanks!
    Well, even without seeing it, this is my honest take on the show.  I am really concerned about this show.  I read an article in The Guardian that talked about how many of the family members of Dahmer's victims are very upset about them making a show about this guy.  That sure is understandable to me- I would be too. 
    Two things bother's me the most.  One is that the family's reactions were not taken into consideration in making this show.  The second is a more broad concern about America's (and maybe people in general) infatuation with violence.  An awful lot of people love violence.  Just looking at how much violence is on TV and in movies illustrates that.  Last night, for example,  I watched the movie "Harry Brown".  I thought I might like it because Michael Caine is in it. Wrong!  Major blood bath, ultra violent. 
    So many films are this way.  Why?  Because people love violence.  And I'm not saying every movie needs to be sugar-coated or G-rated.  Violence is part of the world.  But our culture fucking promotes violence.  We are jaded and desensitized to it (that is true, you can't deny it). People seek it out as entertainment.  We are an increasingly violence oriented culture.  And like the David Bradley character Len in "Harry Brown", I am fearful of the violence in this world.  And for good reason.  I was bullied and beaten as a kid, and have been assaulted twice as an adult.  So now we have another show that serves to promote that kind of behavior.  Great.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!
    Well, even without seeing it, this is my honest take on the show.  I am really concerned about this show.  I read an article in The Guardian that talked about how many of the family members of Dahmer's victims are very upset about them making a show about this guy.  That sure is understandable to me- I would be too. 
    Two things bother's me the most.  One is that the family's reactions were not taken into consideration in making this show.  The second is a more broad concern about America's (and maybe people in general) infatuation with violence.  An awful lot of people love violence.  Just looking at how much violence is on TV and in movies illustrates that.  Last night, for example,  I watched the movie "Harry Brown".  I thought I might like it because Michael Caine is in it. Wrong!  Major blood bath, ultra violent. 
    So many films are this way.  Why?  Because people love violence.  And I'm not saying every movie needs to be sugar-coated or G-rated.  Violence is part of the world.  But our culture fucking promotes violence.  We are jaded and desensitized to it (that is true, you can't deny it). People seek it out as entertainment.  We are an increasingly violence oriented culture.  And like the David Bradley character Len in "Harry Brown", I am fearful of the violence in this world.  And for good reason.  I was bullied and beaten as a kid, and have been assaulted twice as an adult.  So now we have another show that serves to promote that kind of behavior.  Great.
    This definitely isn't promoting anything.  The kids at my GF's school are up in arms/freaked out at what he did.  There is no romancing this.

To me it is showing what a monster he was and what he did.

As for the families, I'm not sure what you can do about that.  As long as the murderer/convicted isn't profiting there isn't much they can do.

I guess you could have said this 30 years ago when I was reading the books on him too. Or any reenactment that is made for that matter of any crime ever committed.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Dahmer isnt so much a violent thing though.  From what I hear, the show does not focus so much on the gore and brutality.  Dahmer wasnt so much of a violent person who wanted to hurt people...  He was just a sicko who wanted a zombie-man to have sex with all the time and kept trying to accomplish this and preserve people/parts to scratch the itch, but kept failing, thus needing more.  

I do get what you are saying with the families though, thats awful

I wont watch this because I dont really want to immerse myself in this story.  Too much negativity.  I know the story and have been reminded over these 30 years.  Dont need to watch a dramatization about it.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Dahmer isnt so much a violent thing though.  From what I hear, the show does not focus so much on the gore and brutality.  Dahmer wasnt so much of a violent person who wanted to hurt people...  He was just a sicko who wanted a zombie-man to have sex with all the time and kept trying to accomplish this and preserve people/parts to scratch the itch, but kept failing, thus needing more.  

I wont watch this because I dont really want to immerse myself in this story.  Too much negativity.  I know the story and have been reminded over these 30 years.  Dont need to watch a dramatization about it.

Smart move!

This also illustrates my point.  So many people are drawn to these kinds of stories like moths to flames (watch the ratings on this kind of thing sky-rocket).  So many do want to immerse themselves in these stories.  They are compelled by them.  And then become jaded and desensitized.
    If anyone disagrees my my take, I won't argue more here.  But do think of the families and what this does to them.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!
    Disagree. I am not infatuated with violence. I guess I am infatuated with true crime though. I want to know what the fuck happened and why.

His behavior definitely wasn't promoted. It was just a docudrama.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

This also illustrates my point.  So many people are drawn to these kinds of stories like moths to flames (watch the ratings on this kind of thing sky-rocket).  So many do want to immerse themselves in these stories.  They are compelled by them.  And then become jaded and desensitized.
    If anyone disagrees my my take, I won't argue more here.  But do think of the families and what this does to them.
    A better example would be things like Batman.  People loved the joker in that movie.  I said he was bin laden with clown makeup.  Sure enough, some kid dressed kind of as the joker shot up a movie theater when the next batman movie was released.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!
    Disagree. I am not infatuated with violence. I guess I am infatuated with true crime though. I want to know what the fuck happened and why.

I already said I would not argue.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't
    lol stop it.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

Yes I did.  Stop being such a jerk.  WTF is your problem anyway?  You don't like me?  Fine, no problem.  Use the ignore function.

• Options
    I watched it but it just reinforced my feeling of not caring for dramatizations of things like this. Documentary-style, like the Dahmer/Gacy/Bundy “tapes” on Netflix are way better. It’s interesting stuff and worth learning about, but not stuff I’m looking to be “entertained” by like this series tries to do. 

And that woman that called the cops didn’t even live in the building let alone next door to Dahmer. I dislike fake bullshit getting jammed into shows about actual events. Guess ya gotta fill the 10 hours somehow. This was way too long.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

Yes I did.  Stop being such a jerk.  WTF is your problem anyway?  You don't like me?  Fine, no problem.  Use the ignore function.
    holy shit man...it was CLEARLY a joke

check your bp

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I watched it but it just reinforced my feeling of not caring for dramatizations of things like this. Documentary-style, like the Dahmer/Gacy/Bundy “tapes” on Netflix are way better. It’s interesting stuff and worth learning about, but not stuff I’m looking to be “entertained” by like this series tries to do. 

And that woman that called the cops didn’t even live in the building let alone next door to Dahmer. I dislike fake bullshit getting jammed into shows about actual events. Guess ya gotta fill the 10 hours somehow. This was way too long.  
    Yeah some of the liberties taken bother me a bit but my guess is that the character was a combo of information obtained...i.e. some true neighbors probably mentioned hearing odd things, smelling nasty shit, etc., and they just combined it all into her character.

I like these things but yes, I probably do prefer the "tapes" type docs better. 

edit: reminds me of "The Right Stuff"...great movie but I saw it not too long after reading Chuck Yeager's book. In the movie Yeager reaches the edge of outer space in his test plane and ends up crashing the plane. In reality he landed it. It was a different trip that resulted in a crash and him getting hit in the face with his seat that was on fire when he ejected, etc. Still a great move...that just always bothered me.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options

Yeah some of the liberties taken bother me a bit but my guess is that the character was a combo of information obtained...i.e. some true neighbors probably mentioned hearing odd things, smelling nasty shit, etc., and they just combined it all into her character.

edit: reminds me of "The Right Stuff"...great movie but I saw it not too long after reading Chuck Yeager's book. In the movie Yeager reaches the edge of outer space in his test plane and ends up crashing the plane. In reality he landed it. It was a different trip that resulted in a crash and him getting hit in the face with his seat that was on fire when he ejected, etc. Still a great move...that just always bothered me.
    That's exactly right. The "tapes" actually has an interview with his neighbor across the hall. The neighbor's wife confronted Dahmer on the smell. I just thought that neighbor character in the show felt like "filler." Again, gotta fill the 10 hours somehow. Like the scene where Dahmer goes to her apartment and offers her a sandwich. I mean, come on.....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    The Serpent on Netflix took similar liberties. Great docudrama by the way if you haven't seen it.

But reading up on the actual guy reveals some liberties taken there as well. Still...the overall story was accurate. Dude was insane.

• Options
    The entire Netflix empire seems to be built on the blood, sweat, and tears.....of serial killers and Nazis. I think they make up at least 40% of the programming. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    lol....true

Now if they would just have a series that recreated all of Ann Rule's books :)

• Options

That's exactly right. The "tapes" actually has an interview with his neighbor across the hall. The neighbor's wife confronted Dahmer on the smell. I just thought that neighbor character in the show felt like "filler." Again, gotta fill the 10 hours somehow. Like the scene where Dahmer goes to her apartment and offers her a sandwich. I mean, come on.....
    They took a bunch of information and crammed it into 1 character pretty much.  It was trying to show how he fooled other people I guess?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

check your bp

If that's the case, I apologize.  It went right over my head. 
    In any case, it was wrong of me to lose my cool that way.  BP actually might be a factor.  I have orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure) but when it was checked two days ago, my BP was 95 over 156.
    Still, not an excuse for me being a grouch.  Sorry man.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

check your bp

In any case, it was wrong of me to lose my cool that way.  BP actually might be a factor.  I have orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure) but when it was checked two days ago, my BP was 95 over 156.

No problem. I can be irritating for sure.

I'm medicated for mine...possibly overmedicated as I seem to have this ACE inhibitor cough that it a side effect of the meds.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:

Smart move!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, thanks!

No you didn't

check your bp

No problem. I can be irritating for sure.

I'm medicated for mine...possibly overmedicated as I seem to have this ACE inhibitor cough that it a side effect of the meds.

BP issues are tricky, for sure.  Sorry to hear you have similar issues. 
    Take good care!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited October 2022
    I don't care what others think about the series existing at all. It's for some people, not for others. Whatever. I do find it annoying when people form strong opinions about shows or movies they haven't watched, and I think it's strange to criticize people for liking true crime... It is so very natural and human to focus on crime in such a way. It impacts our lives and our psyches directly, so why wouldn't people be fascinated by it?
    I think the series objectively does not glorify his crimes, and focuses on the victims and how the cops fucked up so bad and on how much damage Dahmer did in his life. It is also very well-acted on all counts, and well-directed. I am a huge true-crime buff (and no, I'm not desensitized at all), so of course already knew everything there is to know about the Dahmer case, and still this series was fascinating and managed to come at it from a unique direction.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata