The magic moments on Gigaton

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
Yeah I admit it, I LOVE this album!

What (if you have any) moments are just magical to you on this record?

Love the vocals in Seven O'Clock, especially at the 3:20 mark when he sings:
His best days gone, hard to admit
Throwing angry punches with nothing to hit
Luminous thoughts were once all he had
Fading lights, lost eloquence
There's still a fire in the engine room
Knows relief will be coming soon

love the whole entire mix of vocals, keys, guitar everything

The end of Retrograde-  cannot get enough of the power chords

Comes and Goes- love the vocals and background vocals

Alright- love the intro guitar and synth   KEEP IT FOR YOURSELF.......Drum fills...DAMN

Dance-OTC- Bass line is one of my favorites

Superbloodwolfmoon-  guitar solo and post solo guitar for that minute or so

Overall this album  is one of my favorite Ed vocal performances Albums in the entire catalog

What do you LOVE on this album????  If you want to troll something, find a post by BostonLou please

Comments

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    Who Ever Said ..... From about the 2:30 mark to the 4:30 spot..... fantastic stuff
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    The female bg vox on "Take the Long Way"
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    I’ll add the smooth bass humming along in Quick Escape, but otherwise 100% agree on that list.
  • I agree on the bass. Also mikes  parts . Great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Retrograde is a BEAST live. I love the ending to Whoever Said. Reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Vs when they do that little outtro on Blood. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    BF89905 said:
    Who Ever Said ..... From about the 2:30 mark to the 4:30 spot..... fantastic stuff
    There's still a fire in the engine room - Best line in the whole album
    Kearnsy
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    edited October 2022
    hrd2imgn said:
    Yeah I admit it, I LOVE this album!

What (if you have any) moments are just magical to you on this record?

Love the vocals in Seven O'Clock, especially at the 3:20 mark when he sings:
    His best days gone, hard to admit
    Throwing angry punches with nothing to hit
    Luminous thoughts were once all he had
    Fading lights, lost eloquence
    There's still a fire in the engine room
    Knows relief will be coming soon

love the whole entire mix of vocals, keys, guitar everything

The end of Retrograde-  cannot get enough of the power chords

Comes and Goes- love the vocals and background vocals

Alright- love the intro guitar and synth   KEEP IT FOR YOURSELF.......Drum fills...DAMN

Dance-OTC- Bass line is one of my favorites

Superbloodwolfmoon-  guitar solo and post solo guitar for that minute or so

Overall this album  is one of my favorite Ed vocal performances Albums in the entire catalog

What do you LOVE on this album????  If you want to troll something, find a post by BostonLou please

I would have said exactly what you did for Seven, Retro and Alright

For the outro on Seven...I thought it was going back and forth with "Much to be done" then "More should be" but the lyrics I'm looking up say "Much to be" instead of "More should be" which changes my vibe.

I swear I hear "More should be" which seems brilliant to me

And the end of Retro....I just love the "Hear the sound" vocal. Reminds me so much of Cropduster and 1/2 Full. Love that shit
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,333
    BF89905 said:
    I'll have to check the time stamps...but this is likely my favorite part of the entire album as well.  But I love the vast majority of the album ...

I could do without Retrograde, Come then goes, and most of the time River Cross too nowadays though
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    I would have chosen the exact same as the OP. Those are all brilliant. 

There’s something musically that connects seven o’clock, alright and the end of retrograde in my mind. Would love to hear that sound further developed across a whole album. 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Great list. Truly love this album. 

Another thing that jumps out to me is when Stone starts that crunchy rhythm guitar riff that plays off the bass line while Mike is going off towards the end of Quick Escape.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 263
    I realize that the song takes a lot of heat, but my daughter is a neuro-ICU nurse. Add to that the fact that last week I had a slip on the tile in the bathroom and almost didn't make it to the hospital. So I realize that it's situational to me, but Buckle Up has its hooks in me big time. Stone always finds a way to get inside my head.
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    The line/verse that sticks with me the most off this album is:
    "Caught the butterfly broke it's wing and put it on display.
    Stripped of all it's beauty once it could not fly high away."

I don't know - just love those lyrics in so many ways. So beautifully tragic....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,246
    The last 90 seconds of Retrograde (favorite on the album) into River Cross is a perfect ending of the album. 

The bass kicking in at the end of WES

The bass throughout Quick Escape combined with the lyrics of this one. This song fucks!

DOTC - the entire song. I love the unique sound PJ pulled off on this one. 

Alright - I almost forget how much I love this song until it comes on. Has a great atmospheric sound
    The last 90 seconds of Retrograde (favorite on the album) into River Cross is a perfect ending of the album. 

The bass kicking in at the end of WES

The bass throughout Quick Escape combined with the lyrics of this one. This song fucks!

DOTC - the entire song. I love the unique sound PJ pulled off on this one. 

Alright - I almost forget how much I love this song until it comes on. Has a great atmospheric sound
    Interesting

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I realize that the song takes a lot of heat, but my daughter is a neuro-ICU nurse. Add to that the fact that last week I had a slip on the tile in the bathroom and almost didn't make it to the hospital. So I realize that it's situational to me, but Buckle Up has its hooks in me big time. Stone always finds a way to get inside my head.
    Love Buckle Up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Love the da da....da da da da fa vocals in buckle up
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    agree with most of the above except Buckle Up.  Just doesn't do anything for me. Another great moment for me is the below.

Love these lines in Superblood Wolfmoon.  they flow so perfectly with the music there to me.

She was a stunner and I am stunned
    The first thought and second thought was could be the one

I was a prisoner, her keys and her cuffs
    Yeh, I was feeling fortunate to be locked up

But the world kept a spinning, always felt like it was ending
    And love notwithstanding, we are each of us fucked
    Yeah I don't connect with Buckle Up at all. I like that other people do but I just don't. Same with Let the Records Play. Stone kind of lost me on those two.

• pthomnpthomn Posts: 116
    I wish I could have heard River Cross at MSG.

I wish this moment was never ending

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,246
    Yeah I don't connect with Buckle Up at all. I like that other people do but I just don't. Same with Let the Records Play. Stone kind of lost me on those two.
    I agree. I love the record but Buckle Up is by far the worst on the record. Glad others enjoy it but for me it’s a skip every time. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    I totally understand people not liking Buckle Up. It reminds me a little of Parachutes - it's there, it's different, some people like it, I don't think anyone would have been upset if it had been left off the album.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    I enjoyed this album for all the reasons above but listening to it live (in person) and on the boots has given it a whole new level. Retrograde live is bliss and I'm beyond thankful to have heard it bleed into Last Exit in St. Louis - best moment of the tour? I didn't care for Buckle Up but that version from Quebec gave me a whole new appreciation for, just astonishing. Whoever Said is going to stand alongside Getaway and Hail Hail as the song we need to hear more. Seven O'Clock will find a cult following just like Inside Job did and the people calling it a crowd killer probably aren't wrong now but that song was the first cut that I absolutely loved on listen 1. Again, I don't know where River Cross belongs but Matt's power drumming at the end of an already emotional song is just too good to be denied. DotC is just a fascinating cut and a great song. Can I go back to how fucking good Retrograde is? Thanks for letting me do that. Quick Escape is just a ferocious unrelenting song. I love it. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    To me, Comes Then Goes seems a pretty special song. It doesn't seem to get much love whatsoever but I love it. The last 2 minutes or so of Quick Escape is some of the heaviest stuff they've done. Love Gigaton, its a great late-career album.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • For me buckle up is the only skip on the  album
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    I just love this section from Who Ever Said:

Our freedoms fraught with danger being circumscribed
    A life cut short and circumcised

A rubble of commandments from the road, step aside
    A rubble of commandments in the road, step aside

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    Who Ever Said & Retrograde kick ass .. LIVE!
    And that ending jam of Who Ever Said .. LOVE IT!