Wait, do people really hate on Even Flow?

2»

Comments

• I don't really need to hear it again either, but I honestly am more bored of Alive and DTE at this point. That said, the place seems to still come alive during those songs so I can't complain  when I've seen the band 27 times and some are prob seeing their first show.

That said, I could really use an album show for Riot Act lol
    Agree with your point on DTE. I understand Alive and Even Flow getting played every show as those are two of the band's most commercially popular songs. Surprising that DTE is an every show song, particularly in today's day and age where the band is trying to protect Ed's voice.
  • I bet DTE is one of those songs that is fun for them to sing and play, and gets the crowd into it with a singalong.  

I am sure they have songs that they get tired of too or just don’t enjoy playing.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Same as others, heard it a million times and it is a staple at most shows. It really is a showcase for Mike which is always a treat to watch. I do take break during this song at almost every show and have been known to skip it when it comes on the radio. 
  • Even Flow is a great bathroom song.  Even the title helps get me in the mood.  DTE and Better Man, also great for this purpose.  Usually I can make it back in time for the solo, or the tag at the end of Better Man.  Don't really mind missing all of DTE.  That's just me folks.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus Posts: 499
    edited September 2022
    I don’t know in the US but in Europe the song got great cheers from the crowd during the last tour…And it’s the same with Jeremy for instance.
    My guess : these songs have not been played at nauseam on our radio and TV channels and we still enjoy them
    Post edited by aurelgugus on
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,400
    The 9 minute version is a tired act. Take it back to 5min and move on.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ve heard evenflow 54 out of 60 shows lol.  
    Man, I thought last night it was your 60th Birthday-LOL

I get why a lot of people are tired of the song, but as we all know, Mike kicks ass on that Solo.
  • I’d rather keep even flow in the set than small town, betterman, or alive
    I’d take Even Flow and Alive every show. Absolute anthems. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ve heard evenflow 54 out of 60 shows lol.  
    Man, I thought last night it was your 60th Birthday-LOL

I get why a lot of people are tired of the song, but as we all know, Mike kicks ass on that Solo.
    I'm only 44!! lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Even Bros. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,813
    Even Flow and Alive should be played every show.  It is always someone’s first time seeing Pearl Jam.  Can’t imagine not hearing these two if I was going for my first time.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    edited September 2022
    It’s a good song, but it’s predictable for a band that can pride itself on being unpredictable in a live setting. 
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• MyBitterHands76MyBitterHands76 Posts: 346
    edited September 2022
    Even Flow and Alive should be played every show.  It is always someone’s first time seeing Pearl Jam.  Can’t imagine not hearing these two if I was going for my first time.
    Exactly. Years ago when I was 14 and saw Pearl Jam live for the first time and I really only knew the radio hits (Even Flow, Alive, Daughter, Animal, Betterman, etc) I was so excited to hear Even Flow and Alive live for the first time. 

Even last night in Camden, I was around some first timers and when PJ did Even Flow and even  Alive at the end their faces lit up with joy. So yeah, I can kinda take or leave Even Flow depending on the night. But I do get joy in watching people hear those songs live for the first time just like myself 20 years ago.

now DTE on the other hand… 
    Post edited by MyBitterHands76 on
    "If you're like me, then you know me"

2006: Camden 1
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4
    2013: Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2,
    2017: Temple of The Dog Philly 2
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    Even Bros. 
    Had an Even Sis in front of me in GA last night. Even her husband who was next to me was legit embarrassed by her behaviour and attempted to talk sense into her. I gave him props for trying.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I feel the same could/should be said for Jeremy, Black, Daughter, RVM, Better Man, Corduroy, and maybe even Small Town and Given To Fly. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    But playing the hits every show is not what has made this band a legendary live band. They have enough “first timers” songs to rotate them out. Don’t need any song every single show. 
  • Love the song. Rocking tune and the lyrics still hold true, 30+ years later. It’s a timeless classic. 
  • Easy solution.

Move it to be the very last song. If people are gonna leave, why not give them a head start? And if they leave 7-9 minutes early, maybe it'd give someone else a shot at the rail.

Ok, that's partially in jest, but maybe I'm onto something here.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Awesome song. Just played too much for those chasing variety.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Not derail the thread but re. Alive … I adore it (and think it’s aged better than Even Flow - and Jeremy, for that matter) but it’s positioning at/near the end of the show needs a change. I get bummed out when they start to play it since it means the show’s over soon. :(
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    But playing the hits every show is not what has made this band a legendary live band. They have enough “first timers” songs to rotate them out. Don’t need any song every single show. 
    I took my brother to NYC and Camden for his 1st and 2nd shows. He's always been a casual fan, listening to their albums I'd play as we played SNES and Genesis back in the day. He liked NYC better because they played
     so many more songs he was familiar with, and liked that Evenflow is one of the guaranteed songs someone could hear at every show.

That's also how I explained to people at work why I was seeing the band twice in a week. That every show is a different setlist, but there are a few guarantees, one being Evenflow.