Wait, do people really hate on Even Flow?

I've seen a couple of posts here and I thought they were joking. Then last night I listened to a 1998 show, which was an audience recording so you could hear fan banter. After Even Flow, you can hear someone say 'man, I hate that song'

I thought it was universally loved, but now I am wondering.

Comments

• I’d rather keep even flow in the set than small town, betterman, or alive
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    It’s not the song’s fault I don’t like it. It’s that every single person that doesn’t know shit about Pearl Jam seems to solely associate them - and their entire sound - with that particular song. And I find that a bit frustrating as a fan because they are a lot more than that.
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    It's not my piss break song, since I don't drink at shows, but it is my "take out my phone and check my emails" song. Gigaton didn't halt the momentum at MSG for me at all, but Evenflow did. It just doesn't resonate with me. I don't mind the studio take but, live I can go without.
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 173
    AlaG said:
    It’s not the song’s fault I don’t like it. It’s that every single person that doesn’t know shit about Pearl Jam seems to solely associate them - and their entire sound - with that particular song. And I find that a bit frustrating as a fan because they are a lot more than that.
    That makes sense
  • Some 30+ year old song had to earn the fan bases ire. So it’s probably gonna be the one they play the most. 

Songs great. I’ll always be happy to hear any song. 
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    edited September 2022
    I love the song but would probably prefer a shorter version of it at shows. Get the song back to closer to the studio length and it would be a much better live experience for the folks that have heard it 50+ times.

I realize this will never happen as part of the novelty of the live even flow version is that folks that have never seen Pearl Jam live get to experience the craziness of Mike's solo (although, admittedly, it's probably my least favorite of the epic guitar solos that Mike plays across a variety of tracks).
  • Casual fan song....in my opinion 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    I like Even Flow I just don’t want to hear it at every single show. I do love me some Alive every time though. 

Betterman and Jeremy are the one I flat out never need to hear again. 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    Even Flow is always great for a McCready solo, especially if you got a great spot near up front.
    But the tradeoff for many is that they'd prefer that slot be used for a song they haven't heard in a long time/ever.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    If you’ve seen them more than a couple of times it’s hard to get psyched about it in the moment, but (1) as noted above there are plenty of people at every show who are at their first Pearl Jam show and (2) whom amongst us hasn’t found themselves rocking along to a good Even Flow in the car while listening to a boot?

Sure the solos can be over-long, but there ain’t much better than a good sing-along on the final chorus. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • I like Even Flow I just don’t want to hear it at every single show. I do love me some Alive every time though. 

Betterman and Jeremy are the one I flat out never need to hear again. 
    Interesting....I'm good with Bman, Jeremy always grabbed me more than EF and Alive

I just checked my stats from my 25 shows

EF...played 24 times
    Alive...23
    Jeremy...12
    Daughter 15
    Betterman 16
    Corduroy 20....I never get tired of this one. This is the song that made me buy Vitalogy which was my first PJ purchase
    DTE 21
    Cropduster 1
    I got Shit 3

The latter two being my top favs

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I ve heard evenflow 54 out of 60 shows lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    you must pee a lot

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,628
    edited September 2022
    I would posit, its the most online and the fervent followers of the band that tire of it. Those who see more than 2 shows a year. Most of the fans at any given show (where its probably the only show they are seeing all year from PJ) go wild for that song. So while it may seem like EVERYONE here is tired of it, its really just a vocal minority. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • I would posit, its the most online and the fervent followers of the band that tire of it. Those who see more than 2 shows shows a year. Most of the fans at any given show (where its probably the only show they are seeing all year from PJ) go wild for that song. So while it may seem like EVERYONE here is tired of it, its really just a vocal minority. 

Same for RITFW.  Can't stand it but the crowd goes nuts.

I prefer Fuckin Up

• I would posit, its the most online and the fervent followers of the band that tire of it. Those who see more than 2 shows shows a year. Most of the fans at any given show (where its probably the only show they are seeing all year from PJ) go wild for that song. So while it may seem like EVERYONE here is tired of it, its really just a vocal minority. 

Funny. For me, this brings up the practice of seeing a band multiple times in a short time period. Saw PJ twice at Fenway and that was great. Would I do it again? Probably not. I really can't think of any band that I would need to see multiple times in a year. That's just me. I do buy multiple variant copies of the same record, so I do understand obsession... That said, I do really enjoy hearing Even Flow live.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • I would take even flow every show.  I've  learned a lot over the years. Every  song has a place  and my love of these  songs  is why i love pearl jam.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mcgruff10 said:
    you must pee a lot
    ha ha.  I really enjoyed it last night.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Mike McCready's greatness is wasted on some. He crushes that song. See Ottawa 2022 for an example but prepare to have your face melted. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    For me it’s not even seeing it live too much. I don’t get to see PJ often enough to tire of it live (although I would prefer 100 other songs). It’s that I’ve heard it a million times on the radio or at a gathering or a bar. 

This same thing has absolutely ruined certain songs for me especially ones that I didn’t love from the beginning like Bman and Jeremy. Again I literally never need to hear either of these two songs again in any form
  • JimmyV said:
    Mike McCready's greatness is wasted on some. He crushes that song. See Ottawa 2022 for an example but prepare to have your face melted. 
    He is an all time great. That said, I find the live even flow guitar solo to be completely uninteresting. It's just him playing a scale as fast as he can for most of it. Black on the other hand, I could listen to that solo for 20 minutes straight and it would still feel too short to me. But that's the beauty of it all...music/art is subjective.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,343
    I've seen it more than 60 times.  It's not that it's a bad song or that I hate it.  It's a good song and I like it.  I just don't need to see it again.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • JimmyV said:

This.

I was sick of it for a while, but came back around on it for the solos... same with Black. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    I'd never tire of hearing Corduroy, DTE, and Porch live every show. I don't feel that way about Even Flow. It's bottom half of their catalog whereas you can make an argument that the others are their 3 best songs.
  • I love Mike’s behind the head solo but I’d also be good if I never heard it live again. It’s their most played song, it’s a big radio hit, and the even bros dont make it any easier to enjoy. 
  • ceska said:
    It's not my piss break song, since I don't drink at shows, but it is my "take out my phone and check my emails" song. Gigaton didn't halt the momentum at MSG for me at all, but Evenflow did. It just doesn't resonate with me. I don't mind the studio take but, live I can go without.
    I can’t imagine the need to check emails during a concert. Makes me sad when live music can’t even pull people away from their phones.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    i can take it or leave 
    danny d
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 173
    ceska said:
    I can’t imagine the need to check emails during a concert. Makes me sad when live music can’t even pull people away from their phones.
    I mean, I've done it if I'm on-call or I am expecting something important. I've even had to take a call once at a show (I went to the concourse)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    JimmyV said:
    Yes. Ottawa was crazy. I think Mike went extra long since Ed hurt his leg - but what a performance!!!
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    I don't really need to hear it again either, but I honestly am more bored of Alive and DTE at this point. That said, the place seems to still come alive during those songs so I can't complain  when I've seen the band 27 times and some are prob seeing their first show.

That said, I could really use an album show for Riot Act lol
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.