Pearl Jam please close each show with a Pearl Jam song

Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
the most anticlimactic experience at a show is when they close with a cover. As much as I like Neil and The Who, it is a huge bummer to not hear a PJ song to end a show.

Which is ironic, because IMO they have one of the greatest show closers in rock history in their arsenal in YL. A bummer that I am at 33% with that one.

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I am completely on board with this. I have a buddy that went to ten shows before finally hearing Yellow Ledbetter - which is an anomaly, yes - but he got RITFW multiple times on that stretch. It does become anticlimactic. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • I always thought they should get rid of Alive and put Even Flow at the end of the show 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    With short sets these days, PLAY ONLY PEARL JAM SONGS.  Full Support.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    I've always thought that Parting Ways would be a good closer. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,442
    JojoRice said:
    That would be incredible! 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    It’s a great crowd control measure. If 25% leave before the cover it’s easier for us all to get home 

I kind of like blowouts at sporting events for the same reason 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't mind Neil Young's 'F*cking Up* as a closer. Loved the energy the one time I heard it live at the Gorge show, though it lead to YL with the little wing tag..... Just saying.
  • Last two shows I went to (Fenway 2018) was the first time I ever left a show early. You get a decent jump on the crowd heading out and we beat the rush to the bar down the street we went to. Not sure I'll do it every time but it worked out quite well in those instances. 
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I disagree completely. I was so over the moon when I finally saw Pearl Jam play things like Sonic Reducer, Baba O'Riley and Comfortably Numb. I couldn't care less if they close with the very last song being theirs or someone else's. It's my favorite band in concert playing a song I love. 
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    I prefer pj songs instead of covers.  
    They have so many good songs why waste time on covers. 
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Totally fine with them ending on a cover, they could end every show with RITFW and I'd leave super pumped
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I’m hoping to be at the show when they play 2 and a half hours of covers. That would be epic 
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    i dont think they need any covers in there setlists they got enough of there own music
    danny d
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Close with arms aloft
  • danny said:
    i dont think they need any covers in there setlists they got enough of there own music
    I don't think they believe that they "need" covers.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I enjoy hearing bands' takes on other songs, so I don't mind a couple of covers, but I do agree with the OP. I'd prefer to hear an epic PJ song at the very end of the show. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    I would love to hear “It’s OK” at one of the shows I am going to. I was just listening to the Virginia Beach version. It was amazing. 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    GlowGirl said:
    I would love to hear “It’s OK” at one of the shows I am going to. I was just listening to the Virginia Beach version. It was amazing. 
            That would be so awesome
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,219
    steven87 said:
    JojoRice said:
    That would be incredible! 

Yes it would be. I too would love to see them end a show with Parting Ways.

Though I too would want to see Pearl Jam someday open a show with Yellow Ledbetter.

Minds would be blown!!!
  • OlivavuOlivavu Posts: 1,683
    apirk72 said:
    Totally fine with them ending on a cover, they could end every show with RITFW and I'd leave super pumped
    Ditto. YL is always great, but RITFW is also a brilliant ender. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Pj songs over covers all day every day.  I always thought Release as a closer would be killer.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    I looked up my PJ closer record and it is:

RITFW x3
    YL x2
    Baba x2
    All Along the Watchtower (x2 if you count EV & Earthlings Beacon N1)
    Indifference (preceded by RITFW)

You know what my biggest takeaway was though? Other than Watchtower at Newark ‘10 and Indifference at Prague ‘18, I had to look up all the others because I couldn’t remember them off the top of my head (I could have guessed some but I wouldn’t have been sure). I have great memories from every show I’ve seen, but the encore closers generally aren’t among them.

Anyway, I think “Bugs closer” is an idea we can all get behind.  
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Really, what they close with is no big deal to me.

however what I don’t like is expected encores. Most bands do it and it’s a bit silly.  If you want two sets or whatever that’s fine.  Expecting your show will be so good you pre plan an encore is a bit pretentious.  We also are conditioned to expect one and don’t even consider it a bonus when it happens.  It’s now part of the show 

if you do consider the last song a bonus/a separate thing, I suppose what that song is doesn’t matter as much 

I don’t have the stats but I would bet the last song of the main set is usually a PJ song 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    I don't really care if it is a PJ song or not to close.  Just change it up every so often so the last 30 minutes of a 2 hour show isn't too predictable for those seeing multiple shows.  
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,820
    Here's mine:
    Fuckin Up (but they came back and added YLed on as a surprise encore apparently because nobody was leaving.)

YLed the other three times and 2x of those with Star-Spangled Banner.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Mike figured out other national anthems as tags when in those countries.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Alive, a great "hit" into a great cover like RITFW, just a huge bummer to end a show, when this band has 2 tremendous closers, YL, and what bests ending a show with a packed arena yelling....

I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Ritfw leaves me on a high note. Indifference is awesome, but imo a kind of sad song (stick it in the middle). YL is a nice way to say goodbye.let's Mr. Mccready do his thing. If they closed with something unexpected (with shorter sets) a bunch of people would be waiting for more. Will be fun to follow the setlist threads. 

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Anything but Indifference honestly 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    edited August 2022
    i'm always chasing YL > a proper little wing version(with lyrics)
    best ending ever
  • MS142392MS142392 Posts: 42
    PJALK said:
    I prefer pj songs instead of covers.  
    They have so many good songs why waste time on covers. 
    Agree 100% — especially when the covers are at the expense of Dissident, I Got Shit, Hail Hail, Red Mosquito, In Hiding, etc.
    3/20/94--Ann Arbor, MI
    6/14/98--Washington, DC
    8/7/00--Atlanta, GA
    4/28/03--Philadelphia, PA
    10/3/05--Philadelphia, PA
    6/19/08--Camden, NJ
    10/31/09--Philadelphia, PA (viva la Spectrum)
    10/21/13--Philadelphia, PA
    4/29/16--Philadelphia, PA (a/k/a The Night They Played TEN)
    9/14/22–Camden, NJ