Options

should i have a go at this?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Don't go over 550 or 600. Cool guitar. More jazz like, I wonder if you could get Thorogood sounds out of it?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah, i just looked it's price up. new it's $730 so it's not that good of a deal. cool guitar though.
  • Options
    I like Epiphone Riviera... Nick Valensi from The Strokes has a great one
  • Options
    Ahem,
    no,

I played one yesterday at the expo near Philly. Good guitar, but not a holy grail type.
    Definitely a jazz guitar.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    no,

I played one yesterday at the expo near Philly. Good guitar, but not a holy grail type.
    Definitely a jazz guitar.

The Joe Pass that is!

The Riviera is cool.
    We overlapped, pearlwax.
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    A major beef I have with Gibson is thier insistance on putting shitty vintage tuners on everything (it has to be cost reduction)

All most all of the original gibsons were modified with much better tuners than those that came on them, why, because the ones that came on them can't hold tuning they lick balls.

Oh well, I have Schallers on my Les Paul, works pretty well, but every guitar I buy from now on will have lockers. Much easier to string.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Very true.
    The old ones are quirky, so you have to change parts if you're really going to play them.
    Be kind, man
    bah. i have to get my acoustic up and running anyway. no more guitars. i've started the process of trying to get the pup replaced under warranty by baggs. i imagine i'm not going to have an easy time of it.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Joe Pass is bloody brilliant!! (listen to "Blue Bossa" with J.J. Johnson...) I wouldn't bid too high on his sig though, seeming one-trick-poneyish and all.... wonder what the reserve is.

Edit: Dissident? I spend too much time here...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Joe Pass is bloody brilliant!! (listen to "Blue Bossa" with J.J. Johnson...) I wouldn't bid too high on his sig though, seeming one-trick-poneyish and all.... wonder what the reserve is.

Edit: Dissident? I spend too much time here...

Joe Pass was brilliant. One of the best ever. He was local here for a while. I'm from Philadelphia area, some great players came out of here. Jimmy Bruno and Pat Martino are still amazing! You can talk to those guys, too. they're nice people. I studied guitar for a bit at the University of the Arts here. Pat Martino was the teacher!

Also local was Sun Ra. Now I bet THAT will test the musical sensibilities. That was a brilliant "way out there" ensemble. The Arkestra still plays here occasionally. The most structured Jam Band ever!
    Be kind, man
    Joe Pass was brilliant. One of the best ever. He was local here for a while. I'm from Philadelphia area, some great players came out of here. Jimmy Bruno and Pat Martino are still amazing! You can talk to those guys, too. they're nice people. I studied guitar for a bit at the University of the Arts here. Pat Martino was the teacher!

Also local was Sun Ra. Now I bet THAT will test the musical sensibilities. That was a brilliant "way out there" ensemble. The Arkestra still plays here occasionally. The most structured Jam Band ever!

wow you guys did play with some "out there" groups. Sun Ra.....Capt. Beefheart. Talk about eclectic. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    wow you guys did play with some "out there" groups. Sun Ra.....Capt. Beefheart. Talk about eclectic. :)

Whoa,,, I never played with Sun Ra. Actually no guitars in that Arkestra!

Beefheart, two of us played with him on and off. Wow, did Rob tell you that!? Yeah, I never played with normal bands I guess! My resume is full of a bunch of misfits and quirky bands.

I guess that came out of us learning how to play to Mothers of Invention albums. Imagine having Frank Zappa as a guitar idol back then. No wonder I never did anything normally!
    Be kind, man
    Whoa,,, I never played with Sun Ra. Actually no guitars in that Arkestra!

Beefheart, two of us played with him on and off. Wow, did Rob tell you that!? Yeah, I never played with normal bands I guess! My resume is full of a bunch of misfits and quirky bands.

I guess that came out of us learning how to play to Mothers of Invention albums. Imagine having Frank Zappa as a guitar idol back then. No wonder I never did anything normally!

that's pretty cool though, think of all the places you've been and the things you've seen. We talked about you guys getting into some cuban music too which is cool.

When they finally open Cuba, I'm going to be on the beach with a montecristo and a Mojito.
  • Options
    that's pretty cool though, think of all the places you've been and the things you've seen. We talked about you guys getting into some cuban music too which is cool.

When they finally open Cuba, I'm going to be on the beach with a montecristo and a Mojito.

Cuba is really a great place for music. I've been there a few times, kind of risky at present, in the last few months, as Bush has been cracking down on us going there. It's a shame, because the people are so lively and friendly there.
    I'm on line now because I'm looking for tickets to Mali to meet up with youthinkyoureold, or whatever that name was. He left the other day, ( we spent some time on your beach the night before. That conversation looks goofy now, but it was very emotional then!)
    I think I'm going next week. Taking the niece, and we're going to study with an old African musician, if we can find him. Not many direct flights from Philly. Harder to get there than Nepal!
    Be kind, man
    Bring lots of Crayons for the kids. I think Youthinkyourold had a few boxes to bring along. If you can find one a mini soccer ball would be a good toy to give out too, the whole village can play with it.

We talked a lot about Mali before he left. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a safe trip over.
  • Options
    the stock PUPs have been replaced with gibson PUPs so that's a plus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    the stock PUPs have been replaced with gibson PUPs so that's a plus.

Dude, for the number of guitars you have, I'd say no. But A left handed Jazz box could be cool. It'd sound damn nice on your deluxe but it will feedback more than your Sheraton regardless. I'd hold out for a new Sheraton 2 lefty.
  • Options
    yeah i know.

i'm getting rid of a lot of stuff now anyway. one or both strats. my phase 100. maybe my octaver. can't really part with any other guitars. maybe i'll put up the jazzbastard at some point too just for the hell of it. time to clean house.
  • Options
    yeah i know.

i'm getting rid of a lot of stuff now anyway. one or both strats. my phase 100. maybe my octaver. can't really part with any other guitars. maybe i'll put up the jazzbastard at some point too just for the hell of it. time to clean house.

getting bored?
  • Options
    no. just need money for the wedding etc. etc. my fi may quit her job soon too to pursue this opportunity that came up a while back.

i'm just trimming my pedalboard right down too to comp, pharaoh, bd-2 and dl4. might as well get rid of everything else.
  • Options
    no. just need money for the wedding etc. etc. my fi may quit her job soon too to pursue this opportunity that came up a while back.

i'm just trimming my pedalboard right down too to comp, pharaoh, bd-2 and dl4. might as well get rid of everything else.

Ah, the same reason I'm selling all my crap. If the DL-4 is that good maybe I should look into it. questions, can you use more than one at once? and Can you set up 4 diff presets with the 4 switches?
  • Options
    can only use one preset at a time.
    you can have 3 presets and the 4th (far right) is tap tempo.
    i just wish it wasn't so big.
  • Options
    can only use one preset at a time.
    you can have 3 presets and the 4th (far right) is tap tempo.
    i just wish it wasn't so big.

This guy in an ass crap band I saw last weekend had 2 repeat 2 DL-4's on a synthesizer and a DD-6 on his guitar. You can't believe the noise wash. You can't do enough drugs to make that interesting.
  • Options
    it's a good pedal. you have to deal with the size and the fact that it needs a special adapter (typical 2.1mm does work) but the sounds are all there. it's just a bit of a logistical pain in the ass.
  • Options
    it's a good pedal. you have to deal with the size and the fact that it needs a special adapter (typical 2.1mm does work) but the sounds are all there. it's just a bit of a logistical pain in the ass.

yeah but when it's good we make room. just like with children.
  • Options
    Bring lots of Crayons for the kids. I think Youthinkyourold had a few boxes to bring along. If you can find one a mini soccer ball would be a good toy to give out too, the whole village can play with it.

We talked a lot about Mali before he left. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a safe trip over.

I always bring a bag full of stuff. Crayons, soap, bic pens,packs of guitar strings, picks, and piles of granola bars. At least when you give out granola bars, they're eatings something with a little umph. The trip gets lighter as you go along!
    You should see the x-ray at the airport when you put a bag in with 200 aluminum wrapped granolas, and 50 packs of steel guitar strings!
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    Ha. Sir can you take off your shoes please :)

More like , ahem,,,
    Come with us into that room over there!

Strip search.

Doh!
    Been there done that!
    Be kind, man
    More like , ahem,,,
    Come with us into that room over there!

Strip search.

Doh!
    Been there done that!

Oh if only airport security was the Swedish Bikini Team like I wrote on the suggestion card. That would make strip searches far more fun.