The Matt Cameron Interview w/ Rick Beato

CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    I loved  it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,114
    edited August 2022
    Rick Beato is whining way to much about artists using their right to not have people do what they want with their music on youtube. Like, instead of whining that The Eagles wanted your video removed but you should have the godgiven right to do whatever you want to, to make money off their art (or furthering your own brand by using other peoples music) - do something yourself instead and then you can decide and use your right regarding people using your music. Entitled whining. You're not ending world hunger by using and commenting on The Eagles etc music.

LETS SURE HOPE MATT CAMERON CONFRONTS HIM ABOUT THIS.

Other than that - amazing interview. Nice listening to Matt! This kind of stuff is what should have been included in the Super Deluxe Box Sets of Ten, Vs and Vitalogy - indepth commentary, whether in video form or in a book/booklet. Instead of "backstage pass" and other stuff.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Disagree.  Rick is providing a different service than the Eagles. He is breaking down music, providing his insights on that music.  We don’t need Rick to listen to the songs.  We are tuning in for Rick’s thoughts on the songs and so I think that is perfectly fine, and can only help the artist.  He should get paid.

• mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    He is getting paid. He plugs his Beato Book, his training courses and his tour dates all the time. I am sure his couple of million viewer base is buying these.

Basically he is using well known songs as ads for his products and then moaning when he does not get monetized from these videos.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
    edited August 2022
    Disagree.  Rick is providing a different service than the Eagles. He is breaking down music, providing his insights on that music.  We don’t need Rick to listen to the songs.  We are tuning in for Rick’s thoughts on the songs and so I think that is perfectly fine, and can only help the artist.  He should get paid.

Lol. 

Sure, in general he should get paid and he can paid like anyone from stuff he creates himself and he owns. But The Eagles (e.g.) have the right to decide about their stuff, and if they do not want someone sitting and "break down music, provide insights on that music" and cashing out on it by piggybacking off it, then it is embarrassing whining about it. 

Instead of not being able to do your buzzfeed-y "top ten guitar intros of the 80s" lists because artists don't want you using their music to cash out, make a "top ten great intros by me" and work for the views. Or use songs by artists who don't care, and zip it with the entitled whine. 

It's almost like whining about a youtube creator on a message board.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,443
    I love Rick's "what makes this song great" series....very interesting and a great way to kill a few hours and binge
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    Rick isn't just sitting there playing a song in its entirety and commenting on it. He uses 10-15 second clips, repeats them, isolates the vocals and various instruments, as he discusses the nuances of the music. No one is going to pass up paying for a streaming service or buying a physical product and instead watch his channel to listen to their favorite music. Yes artists (mostly record companies) have a say in how their product is used, but they would be better off by allowing and embracing this as it is free publicity for them. I've discovered new stuff by watching Rick's videos.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,443
    I love Rick's "what makes this song great" series....very interesting and a great way to kill a few hours and binge
    lol....I just realized I posted the same thing in both threads. I thought I had already commented but didn't realize there were two.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    edited August 2022
    Rick isn't just sitting there playing a song in its entirety and commenting on it. He uses 10-15 second clips, repeats them, isolates the vocals and various instruments, as he discusses the nuances of the music. No one is going to pass up paying for a streaming service or buying a physical product and instead watch his channel to listen to their favorite music. Yes artists (mostly record companies) have a say in how their product is used, but they would be better off by allowing and embracing this as it is free publicity for them. I've discovered new stuff by watching Rick's videos.
    And where do these isolated vocals and snippets come from?

And it is still entitled to come from a "I should have the right to do this because I think so" position, or a "He should have the right to do it, because I happen to think so".

It's an artist choice whether they see it being a good thing or not. Not him and his whining about it. If he's so concerned about breaking down and doing this good deed for humanity, maybe he should reach out first and get the okey. Instead of whining afterwards because he "should have the right".
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    And where do these isolated vocals and snippets come from?

And it is still entitled to come from a "I should have the right to do this because I think so" position, or a "He should have the right to do it, because I happen to think so".

It's an artist choice whether they see it being a good thing or not. Not him and his whining about it. If he's so concerned about breaking down and doing this good deed for humanity, maybe he should reach out first and get the okey. Instead of whining afterwards because he "should have the right".
    I get that some people just have strong feelings against Rick Beato. What he is doing is no different than the guitar/bass/drum covers where the song basically plays in its entirety in the background as people play over it. And many of those people are monitizing those videos. Rick has said if he plays a couple of seconds of a certain band's song, it will get blocked but I've seen that very same song played in full during a cover video that I know the creator is monitizing. It seems there is some cherry-picking going on.
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 770
    I love ricks videos. I agree with his stance on the Eagles. He should be able to do vids on whoever he wants. We all benefit from them. If you don’t like them don’t watch. 
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    edited August 2022
    As someone who doesn't care about F# chords, this guy comes across as a self-serving bore.

Everytime I start a video of his, I feel like it's an infomercial for sponging money out of middle aged white guys.
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2022
    Was a great interview. 
    Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Beato is ok. 

MC is a fucking legend. 
  • Disagree.  Rick is providing a different service than the Eagles. He is breaking down music, providing his insights on that music.  We don’t need Rick to listen to the songs.  We are tuning in for Rick’s thoughts on the songs and so I think that is perfectly fine, and can only help the artist.  He should get paid.

Lol. 

Sure, in general he should get paid and he can paid like anyone from stuff he creates himself and he owns. But The Eagles (e.g.) have the right to decide about their stuff, and if they do not want someone sitting and "break down music, provide insights on that music" and cashing out on it by piggybacking off it, then it is embarrassing whining about it. 

Instead of not being able to do your buzzfeed-y "top ten guitar intros of the 80s" lists because artists don't want you using their music to cash out, make a "top ten great intros by me" and work for the views. Or use songs by artists who don't care, and zip it with the entitled whine. 

First and foremost, the eagles suck. 

• Disagree.  Rick is providing a different service than the Eagles. He is breaking down music, providing his insights on that music.  We don’t need Rick to listen to the songs.  We are tuning in for Rick’s thoughts on the songs and so I think that is perfectly fine, and can only help the artist.  He should get paid.

Lol. 

First and foremost, the eagles suck. 

Have fun at the bowling alley. 
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I'm loving all of the butthurt here, and how this thread has become about something other than the interview. Is there a poster I can queue for too?!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • SM187650 said:
    I love ricks videos. I agree with his stance on the Eagles. He should be able to do vids on whoever he wants. We all benefit from them. If you don’t like them don’t watch. 
    https://youtu.be/YzPONYTT-fk
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Pretty cool interview.  Matt definitely has a love for the drums and all styles.  I am not a drummer so not like hearing Mccready or stone get interviewed about technical stuff, but still a good listen.