Matt Cameron Rick Beato interview

eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops

Comments

• i'm not the biggest rick b. fan by any stretch, but i loved this interview. matt c. is a top class drummer and anytime he is getting attention i love it, he deserves it. amazing drummer.

one thing i did notice though is pearl jam is an after thought here, it was almost 40 minutes of sg chat. i have noticed matt c. also promotes more sg than pj in his social media, makes me sad for him because truth be told that was HIS band. sg was more technical too though, so there you go. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,442
    I love Rick's "What makes this song great" episodes. If you ever want to kill a few hours start watching those.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I dig Rick's channel.  I thought the interview was great.  Very drum tech-y.
    And yeah, there was a lot of SG talk.  I was ok with that.  Matt in SG was a far more interesting drummer and I think Matt feels more pride in those songs.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    I love this 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,225
    Bump!
  • drandodrando Posts: 70
    Rick has great stuff on his channel,  Matt talking about more SG stuff,  is fine with me.  With Chris being gone, Rick probably wanted to keep the work of SG still relevant and get it in front of new listeners.  SG was great.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    drando said:
    Rick has great stuff on his channel,  Matt talking about more SG stuff,  is fine with me.  With Chris being gone, Rick probably wanted to keep the work of SG still relevant and get it in front of new listeners.  SG was great.
    Totally agree i loved hearing any story or explanation of events. Great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I'm a big guitar dork, so I'm very aware of Rick's channel.  Can't say I'm a hater, but I'm not exactly a fan either.  It's just that overall YT'er vibe that I don't love, that is obviously prevalent across any type of content.  I've listened to little bits of other stuff, including his Derek Trucks interview from recent. 

To sum up my opinion, he's not bad as an interviewer, and I'm glad for more content, especially longform interviews with great musicians. 

That being said, I wish for way more of balanced PJ/SG mix in the content here. Temple deserves all of the love; and yes,  MC absolutely made his name on his amazing work in Soundgarden.

But for Rick to be so informed on technical and mental detail for drummers, and better prepared and more knowledgeable than most interviewers would be about his SG catalog, but then only touch on PJ by saying "wow, long time,  eh?" is a major disappointment. 

PJ things he could've touched on,  that to me are majorly specific and fitting with the tone of the rest of the video: 

Life Wasted - (watch the Letterman clip, and the badass snare fill going into the 3rd verse). Time Signature change ups inside a straight forward Rock song. 

Lightning Bolt - the section leading up to the outro is really some of his absolute best PJ playing. Sums up his PJ style vs his SG style. 

Quick Escape - again,  monster,  in-your-face playing. 

Rick touched on "age", which is great,  but he specifically could point out MC's still-immense present-day strengths on NEW music, music that is still being played to huge audiences. 

Cheers. 

• i'm not the biggest rick b. fan by any stretch, but i loved this interview. matt c. is a top class drummer and anytime he is getting attention i love it, he deserves it. amazing drummer.

one thing i did notice though is pearl jam is an after thought here, it was almost 40 minutes of sg chat. i have noticed matt c. also promotes more sg than pj in his social media, makes me sad for him because truth be told that was HIS band. sg was more technical too though, so there you go. 
    I imagine he's more of a SG fan. And the interview flew by and suddenly the time was up, and what they talked about is what they talked about.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I feel like ricks a bigger pj fan. Hes always praising them in his videos. Ricks technical knowhow as a producer and musician is pretty amazing. 
  • WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT: OLÉ
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I enjoyed that.  Two guys who geek out on music just talking.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MP188882MP188882 Posts: 62
    Love Rick and can't wait to watch this. For those complaining about the lack of PJ, it's foreseeable that he'll interview Stone or Jeff or Ed at some point. Makes more sense to keep the powder dry for that interview.
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

• Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,612
    I'm in the middle of it right now.  I love Rick B's channel.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,442
    WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT: OLÉ
    LOL....I'm not sure what the decision circle was to releasing that song. Let alone doing it on live TV.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    good interview but could have done more on pearl jam a bit less on soundgarden
    danny d
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Really hope he managed to get other interviews with PJ or SG guys while he was in Seattle 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24