Vote for your favorite Pearl Jam songs in celebration of the band’s 31st anniversary

124»

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,217

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,343
    My takeaway from seeing this is that Pearl Jam's biggest fans apparently feel little connection to anything Pearl Jam has done in the last 24 years, which is both striking and unsurprising at the same time.  (Only four of 31 songs were released since 1998, and none after 2009.  All but seven date to 1995 or earlier.)  I think this says more about the nature of fandom (i.e., that most people just don't form the same emotional attachment to music as they get older) than it does the quality of Pearl Jam's music, which I think is much more consistent across decades than this list would suggest.  Another part of the equation is that people just don't (or can't) devote the kind of time to music as they get older and their lives get busier and more complicated as they can when they're younger.  If people spent as much time listening to some of the latter-day albums as they devoted to the first few albums, they might have connected with those later albums much more.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    Not many surprises on the final list. Pretty much to be expected. 

2 that raised my eyebrows positively, Present Tense and Inside Job. I wouldn’t have predicted PT that high or IJ to make the list at all. Two of my personal favourites. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Bump, on Demand! :)
  • Not many surprises on the final list. Pretty much to be expected. 

2 that raised my eyebrows positively, Present Tense and Inside Job. I wouldn’t have predicted PT that high or IJ to make the list at all. Two of my personal favourites. 
    This. I’d I have IJ in my top ten any day and PT damn close. Surprised not to see Faithful on the list. 
  • Would be interesting to see the same approach for the top 50… (They’ve written a ton of songs over 3 decades).

I’m not all that surprised about Gigaton. It’s still fairly new compared to the rest of their catalog. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    demetrios said:

I counted less than half of these in my top 31 🤷🏼‍♂️
    PJ Radio Listener Voted Top 31 Countdown SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio

Special is 2 hours & 50 minutes.