Options

Dear Pearl Jam , Stop doing festivals in Europe in the Summer!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    ilockyer said:
    ...probably offset the reality that they charge us below the market rate for a 10c ticket. 
    Do they? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case this year, at least with Prague.
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    The last time they played in Australia was for the Big Day Out festivals in January 2014, in the middle of our summer. Right now I couldn’t care where they played, as long as I get to see them again!

As far as Euro festivals are concerned, their set at Reading in 2006 was outstanding.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edgesredgesr Posts: 52
    BC62528 said:
    I think the other alternative would be for people to make a choice and pick spots that work best for them.  If you don't want to see a show in a festival environment - than don't.  I personally avoid them.  I understand those in countries outside of the US might be limited in their options to see this band, so I get it, but we all have the final decision on how and where we spend our money.  It might just be that the band really likes playing festivals to attract a broader fanbase or that they get to visit places with their families during the summer time and see other bands of interest - or maybe it also has to do with financial reasons - that's ok as well - it is the band's prerogative.
    Exactly this, the dates PJ were in Europe coincided with some festivals. Makes sense. I am not sure the ins and out of how booking the line up works though. I presume the festival organisers get i contact with band management/booking agent and ask if they want to play. It would be silly to turn them down if they were going to be in Europe anyway.
    Manchester 2 - 2012
    Milton Keynes - 2014
    Krakow - 2018
    London 1&2 - 2018
    Hyde Park 1&2 - 2022
    Amsterdam 1 - 2022
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,934
    goldrush said:
    The last time they played in Australia was for the Big Day Out festivals in January 2014, in the middle of our summer. Right now I couldn’t care where they played, as long as I get to see them again!

As far as Euro festivals are concerned, their set at Reading in 2006 was outstanding.
    This is the time
    This is the place
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,070
    goldrush said:

I always think the issue with an Australia tour is that larger countries like U.K., Germany, Brazil etc only get two shows. Population wise that would translate to 1 in Australia (similar to Poland, Czech Republic etc). Though you are so far away it isn’t going to make sense unless they could do 5-6 dates. I assume they would fill that number of shows but I’m not sure. It’s just so far away for people from Europe and the US to travel, so would be reliant to people from Aus/NZ. I know if they did a proper 5-6 show U.K. tour or German tour it would sell out, though not sure about an Australian tour
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 928
    edgesr said:
    BC62528 said:
    I think the other alternative would be for people to make a choice and pick spots that work best for them.  If you don't want to see a show in a festival environment - than don't.  I personally avoid them.  I understand those in countries outside of the US might be limited in their options to see this band, so I get it, but we all have the final decision on how and where we spend our money.  It might just be that the band really likes playing festivals to attract a broader fanbase or that they get to visit places with their families during the summer time and see other bands of interest - or maybe it also has to do with financial reasons - that's ok as well - it is the band's prerogative.
    Exactly this, the dates PJ were in Europe coincided with some festivals. Makes sense. I am not sure the ins and out of how booking the line up works though. I presume the festival organisers get i contact with band management/booking agent and ask if they want to play. It would be silly to turn them down if they were going to be in Europe anyway.
    I always imagined they planned the tour around the festivals rather than the other way round but who knows, i have no problem with festivals or anything as long as it means live Pearl Jam
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Or just let people who live near said festivals continue to enjoy the opportunity. No one makes a person book an expensive trip overseas to see a band they can see much closer to home. The world doesn't revolve around you. Be grateful for gravity, otherwise your lofty expectations would spin outward towards a frigid and airless expanse.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    please tour canada in the middle of winter so I can teach Boom how to ride a moose down a mountain. 

or, on the prairies...sit on a moose. 

lol
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,934
    drfox said:
    goldrush said:

I always think the issue with an Australia tour is that larger countries like U.K., Germany, Brazil etc only get two shows. Population wise that would translate to 1 in Australia (similar to Poland, Czech Republic etc). Though you are so far away it isn’t going to make sense unless they could do 5-6 dates. I assume they would fill that number of shows but I’m not sure. It’s just so far away for people from Europe and the US to travel, so would be reliant to people from Aus/NZ. I know if they did a proper 5-6 show U.K. tour or German tour it would sell out, though not sure about an Australian tour
    They are free to combine it with a few asian dates too :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"