Which of these is the best debut album?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced
    GB281198 said:

Haha!  The Dude, chooglin'!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: self-titled
    I couldn't resist I didn't want CCR to get shut out. That's a tough list to pick from. Hendrix is probably the best.
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,449
    edited July 2022

UK Version 
    My Generation
    The band pictured from above looking up to the camera
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,449
    edited July 2022
    vito said:
    The Who Sings My Generation

The album was made immediately after the Who got their first singles on the charts and, according to the booklet in the Deluxe Edition, it was later dismissed by the band as something of a rush job that did not accurately represent their stage performance of the time. While it didn't sell as well as later albums, peaking at #5 on the UK charts and failing to chart in the US, critics have since retrospectively rated it as one of the best rock albums of all time, especially noting its hard sound unusual for the time, and presaging various hard rock styles such as punk and heavy metal.

All I can say if it's regarded as one of the best albums of all time how can it not be one of the best debut albums, if not the best of all time?🙏Someone asked about what the band would vote, I know what Eddie would vote! Okay no more Who homerism from me😎
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    Black Sabbath: self-titled
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Zep takes the lead. 
    I was a big fan of that album when it came out (still give it respect, but not so much a fan these days).  A high school friend of mine turned me on to that record.  He was a huge fan.  One day he came over with his Marshall stack and set it up out in the back yard and showed me a few Zeppelin riffs he had learned.  Pretty sure you could hear that a mile away, haha!
    I have a buddy who told me that he thought it was new Janis Joplin music the first time he heard it. 
    Roberta Plant
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I took a month off fasting from the grid of communication. That said interesting thread but the choices given I had to choose the Jimi Experience.  Close behind PJ & 10.

My honorable mentions Rage Against The Machine....the cover was so striking. I first heard songs from album while at intermission at a RUSH concert the Test For Echo Tour. After hearing the songs I can recall who the hell was that band with those riffs. Someone yelled out RATM, I yelled back, name of the album, answer same name. I promptly went out and got it the next day.

The other Living Colour VIVID. They became a huge hit back in '88 on MTV with Cult Of Personality but the entire album it worth good listening 🎶 . Songs about the city from where they came NYC. First saw them open for the Rolling Stones at RFK Stadium and they were energetically wild stirring up 50,000 rock people and I've latched on ever since.

Oh one can throw in Kill Em All it was so different, Led Zep and even though I don't particularly care for the band their debut was a monster GnRs Appetite For Destruction stands out. 

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    GB281198 said:
    I couldn't resist I didn't want CCR to get shut out. That's a tough list to pick from. Hendrix is probably the best.
    Tough choices for sure.  And it was very difficult to be limited to the number of choices.  Could have easily listed 20!
    vito said:
    vito said:

The album was made immediately after the Who got their first singles on the charts and, according to the booklet in the Deluxe Edition, it was later dismissed by the band as something of a rush job that did not accurately represent their stage performance of the time. While it didn't sell as well as later albums, peaking at #5 on the UK charts and failing to chart in the US, critics have since retrospectively rated it as one of the best rock albums of all time, especially noting its hard sound unusual for the time, and presaging various hard rock styles such as punk and heavy metal.

All I can say if it's regarded as one of the best albums of all time how can it not be one of the best debut albums, if not the best of all time?🙏Someone asked about what the band would vote, I know what Eddie would vote! Okay no more Who homerism from me😎
    No shame in praising The Who!   When early Who stuff came out, we used our tennis rackets in gym as air guitars and windmilled like crazy fools!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.