Which of these is the best debut album?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
We had a discussion on debut albums in the past, now let's do a poll!   I'm sorry to so greatly limit the number of choices, but that's how it works here.  I've chosen albums that are generally highly regarded as great debut albums but, inevitably, some of your favorites will not show up here.  Let's just keep it fun and vote for one of those listed.  You can always add a non-listed debut album in your post. 
OK, here we go!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Which of these is the best debut album? 48 votes

The Band: Music From Big Pink
0%
Black Sabbath: self-titled
4%
DukeSpiritLoujoe 2 votes
Creedence Clearwater Revival: self-titled
2%
GB281198 1 vote
Dire straits: self-titled
0%
The Doors: self-titled
8%
static111MedozKtempo_n_groovebbiggs 4 votes
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced
20%
vitog under pPJ1973Tim SimmonsKICK7071brianluxOffSheGoes35LaFleurMikemzl91Hi! 10 votes
King Crimson: In the Court of King Crimson
2%
1ThoughtKnown 1 vote
Led Zeppelin: self-titled
25%
mr bunglejosevolutioncutzHawk123mickeyratDE4173GlowGirlGuy DudebroeddiecF Me In The BrainCropduster-80joe159 12 votes
Pearl Jam: Ten
25%
goldrushCarryTheZeroComeToTXScreaming TreeTen Backspaced Riot ActorsRP112579Kearn5yMay 30thBLACK35HughFreakingDillonConorKavanaghJPPJ84 12 votes
Ramones: self-titled
12%
pledgeagrievanceST66483dankindNowhere ManHobbesPatrick_Sea3 6 votes

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The Doors no contest
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,436
    edited July 2022
    C'mon Brian you know I respect you as a poster and Who fan so where's the Who My Generation? I read your explanation and I do love DS debut but, really and there would be no debut album from the Ramones if it wasn't for the Who's My Generation album. 😎
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Van Halen 1.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Wow, Jimi in the lead in the early going- excellent!  All of the choice are great too, of course.
    I got the idea for this thread from this very cool book I just finished reading called Jimi Hendrix and the Making of Are You Experienced by Sean Egan.  At the end of the book, Egan discusses the notion of great debut albums and gives fair mention to some of the above, but leans toward AYE himself. 
    Not Necessarily Stoned but Beautiful  The Making of Are You Experienced  Egan Sean 9781903318546 Amazoncom Books
    That reminds me of another thread I want start based on something he said.   Coming soon...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,819
    Torn between PJ and LZ. Jimi's up there as well. Others are decent, although some I haven't listened to at all. personally I would have thrown in GNR's Appetite for Destruction (ironically released 35 years ago today) as well as The Strokes "Is This It"and Arctic Monkey's "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    I voted for the Doors because I love the in your face Break on Through and a perfectly finale song in The End.  The End is one hell of a crescendo of a song.

PJ is second on that because I loved their Master/Slave intro/exit and the same in your face and mellow exit song.

Doors for me.

Honorable Mention Licensed to Ill and Kill em All.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 321
    edited July 2022
     Van Halen, but Led Zeppelin from the ones listed 
    Post edited by DE4173 on
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
    Zep takes the lead. 
    I was a big fan of that album when it came out (still give it respect, but not so much a fan these days).  A high school friend of mine turned me on to that record.  He was a huge fan.  One day he came over with his Marshall stack and set it up out in the back yard and showed me a few Zeppelin riffs he had learned.  Pretty sure you could hear that a mile away, haha!

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    It was between Led Zeppelin and Jimi.

Now way to be able to choose both>LOL
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Zep takes the lead. 
    I was a big fan of that album when it came out (still give it respect, but not so much a fan these days).  A high school friend of mine turned me on to that record.  He was a huge fan.  One day he came over with his Marshall stack and set it up out in the back yard and showed me a few Zeppelin riffs he had learned.  Pretty sure you could hear that a mile away, haha!
    I have a buddy who told me that he thought it was new Janis Joplin music the first time he heard it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,691
    Would have picked Appetite for Destruction if it were a choice
    Kearnsy
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Zep takes the lead. 
    I have a buddy who told me that he thought it was new Janis Joplin music the first time he heard it. 

Must have been the hair on Robert's chest that clued him it wasn't Janis, right?
    Why Robert Plants MusicAnd Long Curly HairHas Stood the Test of Time   Vogue

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Ten for me. I just think it was so different than anything I’d heard before out of a rock record. Doesn’t hurt it came out when i was 17, my future favourite band, and is swimming in nostalgia from that time period. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    Admittedly I’ve only heard 7 of the albums on the list, but Ten is the clear winner for me. It’s the only one of the 7 with no skippable tracks, it’s just a ridiculously good record.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Brian, there should've been two options only for this poll...
    Jimi Hendrix and Jimi Hendrix. Now everything is all messed up. People are voting for Ramones...and if someone votes for Dire Straits just for shits and giggles, that is literally what I just might do.

May God/Jimi have mercy on our souls.
    Hobbes, I thought you would vote for Dire Straits just because...
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    Hobbes, I thought you would vote for Dire Straits just because...
    See the source image
    I wonder which choices the guys in Pearl Jam would make? 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
     and if someone votes for Dire Straits just for shits and giggles, that is literally what I just might do.

Yeah, I've never heard Dire Straits mentioned in the conversation of greatest debut albums before. The vast majority of folks would only know Sultans of Swing off the album.
    It being a choice when Van Halen, Appetite For Destruction, Boston, Talking Heads 77 and a slew of others aren't there is puzzling.
    This weekend we rock Portland

Oooh, good question!

Poncier said:
     and if someone votes for Dire Straits just for shits and giggles, that is literally what I just might do.

Yeah, I've never heard Dire Straits mentioned in the conversation of greatest debut albums before. The vast majority of folks would only know Sultans of Swing off the album.
    It being a choice when Van Halen, Appetite For Destruction, Boston, Talking Heads 77 and a slew of others aren't there is puzzling.
    To be fair, I really shouldn't be allowed to discuss poll choices. I was the genius who decided Wild Wild West should be a choice for Favorite 90's Western. 

Sorry Van Halen didn't make the cut, I would vote for them over Dire Straits any day.
    brianlux said:

Oooh, good question!
    Wouldn't it be nice to know? Someone should find out for us. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    Good times Bad times 
    really strong opening song for a debut album! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Poncier said:

To be fair, I really shouldn't be allowed to discuss poll choices. I was the genius who decided Wild Wild West should be a choice for Favorite 90's Western. 

Sorry Van Halen didn't make the cut, I would vote for them over Dire Straits any day.

It was a bit frustrating being confined to ten choices.  I could easily have done twenty!

• mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2022
    1. Boston
    2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    3. Led Zepplin
    Post edited by mookieblalock on
    1. Boston
    2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    3. Led Zepplin

Nice to see Boston recognized (but again, with only 10 options available here, not enough space for more choices).  Boston have often been maligned as AOR, commercial radio rock, etc., but who cares?  I always thought those first two records were terrific. 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641
    TEN was and is still deeply resonant with me. Hit in a place no other band has reached.

BUT I still have that question, what must people have thought when ZEP I came out
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    TEN was and is still deeply resonant with me. Hit in a place no other band has reached.

BUT I still have that question, what must people have thought when ZEP I came out

Zep I was pretty big around my area.  As I recall, in the Bay Area, the debuts that seemed to have the biggest impact included Zep I, Are You Experienced, the first Doors, but also some of the local acts debuts like the self-title Grateful Dead LP, the s/t Santana (s/t), and the s/t Quicksilver Messenger Service.  As much of an impact as Zep I made, those local acts where a huge deal out here and made just as big an impact as some of the others.  It would be interesting to be able to find local sales figure.  Jeez, ALL that music was big back then!
    One one thing I do remember though is hearing Zep I for the first time with Page hitting that two-beat sharply repeated chord and Bonham's  drums coming up in the mix.  Hugely effective.
    And as much as Zep I was big, I think Zep II and III were probably just as big or more so.  "Whole Lotta Love" was a favorite when a number was being passed around.  You'd get around 1:24 and things would start getting freaky.

• GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 401
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: self-titled