Please bring back RVM !!!

MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
edited July 2022 in The Porch
I am not complaining by any means, just commenting on the subject.  Big difference between complaining and commenting.  I really love RVM and hate to see it has disappeared from the setlists.  Don't get me wrong, Porch is great also, they both have a great jam portion that makes for a great setlist closer.  If the idea is to play more of the hits, one can argue that RVM is just as much, if not more of a "hit" than Porch is.  RVM is off Vs. which sold a ton of copies much like Ten did. Not only is it included on the greatest hits 1991-2003 album, it is the freakin TITLE of the greatest hits album!  Porch is not even on it!  RVM is such a fantastic song live, the build up at the end of the jam portion with Jeff's bass that leads into the phenomenal lyrics and incredible delivery that makes it one of the best songs ever written, recorded, and played live.  You can relate to it any time you leave a bad situation in your life, no matter what it is.  I know I have.  It is a truly remarkable song that is sort of an anthem that is inspirational and just moves you to the core.  
So what are your thoughts on this masterpiece of a song that is RVM?  Is it more than just a song that sounds good, it also feels good to hear it?  Do the lyrics move you in a special way like me?  Or do you just love the song and want something other than Porch played every show to close the 1st set?  If so, I'd love to hear about it.
If anyone out there has any sort of connection with the band, let them know how much we miss RVM!  It has such a special meaning to me and hopefully others will post on this thread that feel the same way.
And by the way,  I'm going to the shows at Camden and Nashville and RVM would be more than welcome to be played there!
00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
Post edited by MM70435 on

Comments

• MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    Thank goodness it was resurrected!
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Well worth the wait 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited July 2022
    MM70435 said:
    Thank goodness it was resurrected!

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,045
    so great to see this on the setlist last night......hoping it gets an airing in Dam too
  • KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
    I'll co-sign your appreciation for RVM. It's deceptively straightforward, but the steady drive and the building intensity makes it absolutely one of their best live songs.

First time I finally saw the band (in 1998) RVM was a particular standout in the set, building to a frenzied climax that, coupled with strobe lights, I thought I might have a seizure or something from the excitement.

The song a rush every time--especially over the years when they started going all Sonic Youth in the middle breakdown. It would do well to close the main set as many times as the band can manage!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    It’s such a great song. I have seen it 8 times. Hoping for 9. 
  • KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
    Also, since you asked about the lyrics, while it's a strange thing to admit but I can tend to interpolate the lyric as "I'm not about to give thanks for a bottle drive." I know that's not it, obviously, but as a kid I did a lot of fundraising work for school, etc by going around my neighbourhood collecting empties. 
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    sure glad RVM made it's way back in Toronto the other night.  Hopefully I get to hear it at either Camden or Nashville.  I listened to RVM from East Rutherford on 6/1/06 and it was 10 minutes of pure musical magic.  Might be the best version of it I have ever heard.
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
  • RVM to close out main set = 🔥
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    Would be ecstatic if we got a RVM set closer tonight as opposed to Porch.

Also, how awesome would it be if the band started with RVM?  B)
  • IT HAPPENED!! RVM set closer!!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    IT HAPPENED!! RVM set closer!!
    One of the best versions I’ve ever heard too!

I think…was too busy singing along.