Superblood Wolfmoon

KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
Hey all, I seldom post here but I could use some feedback from like-minded folks.

What do people think about "Superblood Wolfmoon?" When it dropped in Feb 2020 I was as excited as I'd been for a new PJ song since Avocado at least, if not longer. It felt like PJ were triumphantly back. I love its energy, the snaky riff, the crunchy sound, the sing-song-y early bridge, Ed's unrelenting passion, etc. I've yet to see them since Gigaton came out but I can't see how the song wouldn't kill live. 

Problem is, no one else that I know seems to get it! My friends are indifferent to it when I play it for them. My wife and two boys in particular are clear that it's not a good song. They will single out the lyrics as particularly sub par. My 7 year old's take this morning (while we were listening to the new live version in the car) was that, "You only like the song because it's catchy, but it's not a good song."

I've noticed similar gripes on these boards. It seems bizarre that the band is not consistently playing it nightly (I would've assumed it would be the "Save You" or "Fixer" of this tour... wrong!). I'm left hoping they play it at least once in the 3 shows I'll be seeing in September, fingers crossed.

I guess I just wanted to know... was I deluded by some weird Superblood kool-aid or, in fact, am I right that Superblood Wolfmoon is a stellar, late-era PJ banger. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    I'm with you. I thought it was the stand out song of the album, and if PJ had connections to radio, this would have been played on current rock stations (like Foo Fighters and Green Day get for their new releases).
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    This is a song I thought everyone would like/love. I don't understand the people who hate it. It's one of those dark lyrics fun songs that people usually eat up. The riff and the guitar solo. Some people complained about the "la la la" part saying it was lazy writing. But then you have people saying Ed was writing too many lyrics for Who Ever Said and other songs on the album.
    I miss igotid88
    edited July 2022
    hihobibo said:
    I'm with you. I thought it was the stand out song of the album, and if PJ had connections to radio, this would have been played on current rock stations (like Foo Fighters and Green Day get for their new releases).
    It was played. But as with many new PJ releases ot stays for a couple of weeks then they stop playing it all together. They also don't have a label like Sony to help promote and back it.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
    "The riff and the guitar solo." 

How could I forget to mention that guitar solo! The living influence of Van Halen in full effect! I was pleased that Mike really nailed the solo in the new live version. 

Thanks for yer feedback folks. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    It was the first song that grabbed my attention when the album came out. It had a lot of energy and was just a rocking song. Plus the Tiny Concerts video that was released was really cool. Over time Comes Then Goes stands out as well.
    KS35116 said:
    "The riff and the guitar solo." 

How could I forget to mention that guitar solo! The living influence of Van Halen in full effect! I was pleased that Mike really nailed the solo in the new live version. 

Thanks for yer feedback folks. 
    Yea I was going to mention the EVH influence 
    I miss igotid88
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,112
    It always felt kind of cheesy to me 
  • I love this song! I believe it’s about catching a good wave!!!
  • silvosilvo Posts: 293
    Thought it sounded great at Hyde Park night 1
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    It's just okay for me.  The more I listen to it, the less I like it.  It hasn't sounded great live.  The lyrics come rapidly, and it already seems difficult for Ed to remember them.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    hihobibo said:
    If the Foos released it it would have been nominated for 12 Grammys 
    I miss igotid88