Options

Paris France travel

We are leaving London tomorrow and taking the the train to Paris. We will be there until Saturday. First time visiting. What is the best way to get around the City? London’s Underground was amazing to use. Is that the best way to get around Paris or would buses and taxis be better?  

Comments

• Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Taxis are expensive, buses not reliable.
    I would advise to use the underground and to walk because the city is way smaller than London as the main points of interests are in the center and in the west.
    Regarding the underground, line 14 is the best one to use if you can.
    Please just be super cautious, coming back from London I am amazed how it feels safe compared to Paris. Be particularly cautious next to the Eiffel Tower and do not go north around the Porte de La Chapelle.
    Also note that lots of people do not understand or speak English and that Parisians are not friendly with tourists even with the French.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,494
    Thank you for the insight. We will be cautious. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    I was there for 10 days a few years ago - I just remember walking everywhere. Just days of walking for miles. But I live in NYC, so I am also used to walking everywhere. However, I did take the Metro out to Pere Lachaise cemetery to see Jim Morrison's grave. Have a great time! It's a beautiful city.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I was there for 10 days a few years ago - I just remember walking everywhere. Just days of walking for miles. But I live in NYC, so I am also used to walking everywhere. However, I did take the Metro out to Pere Lachaise cemetery to see Jim Morrison's grave. Have a great time! It's a beautiful city.

Thanks, we are pretty excited about it. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks, we are pretty excited about it. 
    One of my best friends has lived in Paris for over 10 years. He is meeting me in Prague for the show, but if you want - I can ask him if he has any recommendations for restaurants or things to do that only locals know about, etc. Just let me know.

• Options
    Back in the US and Paris was a blast! The Metro was super easy to use and get around with. Even if I couldn’t pronounce every station name, they were easy to recognize. I felt safe even late at night and never thought we were in any sketchy situations. The people were friendly and those that didn’t speak English well were patient with us as we used Google translate to figure out menus. Absolutely loved our trip!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Back in the US and Paris was a blast! The Metro was super easy to use and get around with. Even if I couldn’t pronounce every station name, they were easy to recognize. I felt safe even late at night and never thought we were in any sketchy situations. The people were friendly and those that didn’t speak English well were patient with us as we used Google translate to figure out menus. Absolutely loved our trip!
    Absolutely louvre'd our trip!

*crickets* 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Absolutely louvre'd our trip!

*crickets* 
    Ah, humor!!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    I’m glad you had a great time. I loved Paris. One of my favorite side trips was to Giverney to see the Monet house and garden. We rented bicycles. The gardens were like a Monet painting come to life. I took this photo of the bridge from the Water Lilies painting. 

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I’m glad you had a great time. I loved Paris. One of my favorite side trips was to Giverney to see the Monet house and garden. We rented bicycles. The gardens were like a Monet painting come to life. I took this photo of the bridge from the Water Lilies painting. 

That is a great picture, so serene. There were so many sights, and I have no idea how many pictures we took. The Gardens of Versailles were amazing.