Options

***LOVE REIGN O'ER ME*** - IN PRAGUE FOR MY DAD

StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
edited July 2022 in The Porch
The request was first attempted in 2018 and - as Prague this time falls on my birthday I decided to give it one last try.

"....so I wait for you like a lonely house
till you will see me again and live in me.
Till then my windows ache.”
― Pablo Neruda

I have long contemplated whether I should write this down or not, partly because I do not feel entitled to request anything from the band and secondly, because I am exposing myself openly, something I have difficulties with. But you as a band have done such things many times - and we know history is the finest whore everybody comes back for more...

I am yet another daughter who lost her musician dad due to suicide. 
He was a self-thought keyboard and organ player, a walking Encyclopaedia of rock music. The happiest I have seen him was behind keyboards or organs. He loved breaking down pieces of songs to me, even when I was a very young girl. We bonded though music and had endless discussions about it. I was always eager to present "my bands" and hear what he had to say about them. Pearl Jam was and is "my band", one that found me and was a band that my dad did not hand down to me. My last PJ concert before his death was Vienna 2014 and I vividly remember how thoughtfully he listened to what I had to say about songs performed. Much to my surprised he said he might check them out if they play close to Slovenia again. It would be very special for me to see Pearl Jam with my life-and-music mentor. But just 2 months later - he was gone. My life split into before and after. The sadness that came over me will always linger and there is the horror of all these people - who are just not him. I could hardly listen to music. The pain. He was in every song. What was my release and harbour, turned into a torture.

There was a wooden Dalecarlian horse found by his side, the one I bought for his birthday while I was studying in Sweden. I told him about the tradition and the meaning of this horse. I remember him saying he is going to have it for safe travels. And so he did, even for his final journey. 
He died with music playing in his ears. There were three folders on the MP3 player found by his dead body. One contained songs from his beloved group SMAK. Then there was a folder with carefully selected songs, which I believe, were chosen for their lyrics. An explanation of a kind. 
The third folder contained 12 songs he composed on the keyboard. It was incredibly hard to listen to them and still is. Those songs destroy me each time as they are basically a musical suicide goodbye letter, expressing his pain and depression through instrumental music. I promised myself I would share them. For him, for all the people who loved and respected him. For me. A way of closure. So I did - I released these songs and put it on an album (designed by me) in his honor (for family, friends and his students so we could have something we could go to, somewhere where we can still find him). His goodbye songs are here (unmixed, raw, the way they were found).

Dear Pearl Jam, I wish I could return the gift you gave me unknowingly but I can't or know how to. Instead I am sharing a frail piece of me (and a little music that is as mine as it can be).
It would be really special for me to hear "Love Reign O'er Me" in Prague that I am attending on 22nd of July. While it might be a little perverse to request a song that is not "your" song, I think it is a perfect fit because:
- it has keyboards in it
- my dad was a fan of The Who from his teen years 
- it was raining heavily on the night he took his life
- I once read Townsend explained that this song is when Jimmy goes through a suicide crisis
- symbolically this way my dad could be with me on my birthday in Prague
(and needless to say - I absolutely love your version of it.)

Thank you for reading <3 , regardless of the success of this request it will be a privilege to be on your concert on my birthday...
Barbara 

The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

Post edited by Stereotype on

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    Sweet sadness. Darn. Lots of love. They do play it great. Take care
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    Im all for this. 
    1. I feel  your pain.
    2. Dark times have been with me recently. 
    3. The loss of a parent is horrible 
    4. Music heals.
    5. Jeff nails the beautiful  bassline perfectly 
    Love and light  to you!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    korowiowkorowiow Posts: 23
    Sorry for your loss! I hope you’ll get the song. 
  • Options
    Exposing your vulnerability is admirable ❤️ I really hope you will get to hear this song. So sorry for you loss, may he live forever on through his music and through your beautiful soul. ✨
  • Options
    Sending all the love and comfort to you❤️
    It is, indeed, a huge loss and I am so sorry. In the same time, I admire your strength to be able to open up about such a delicate subject. 
    Really wish they will play this song for you on the show in Prague.
    Much love❤️
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,852
    Sorry for your loss. 

It is an amazing song live and hope you get to hear it. 
  • Options
    jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 143
    I really hope you get it, but I don't think Ed's voice can handle that song anymore.
  • Options
    margitasirnikmargitasirnik Rijeka, Croatia Posts: 10
    I REALLY want that your wish will come true! ❤️❤️❤️❤️😘😘😘 Vidimo se u Beču! 
    BUMP!! 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    Sorry for your loss.

I hope they play this for you in Prague.
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    May I suggest, instead of Baba O'Riley, that this would be the perfect Who song to end a show!  They need to change up the end to the shows anyway, and this would be a perfect way to do it.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    AMENt_TO_THATAMENt_TO_THAT Norwegia Posts: 394
    Pearl Jam, please do this 😞
  • Options
    veddermanvedderman Posts: 799
    So sorry for your loss 😔 I didn't know what happened. I remember we talked in 2012 after i got from Amsterdam shows and they played that song there...how you wished they played it in Stockholm.
    I really do hope they play it in Prague for you!❤
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • Options
    HF90032HF90032 Posts: 11
    The request was first attempted in 2018 and - as Prague this time falls on my birthday I decided to give it one last try.

"....so I wait for you like a lonely house
    till you will see me again and live in me.
    Till then my windows ache.”
    ― Pablo Neruda

I have long contemplated whether I should write this down or not, partly because I do not feel entitled to request anything from the band and secondly, because I am exposing myself openly, something I have difficulties with. But you as a band have done such things many times - and we know history is the finest whore everybody comes back for more...

I am yet another daughter who lost her musician dad due to suicide. 
    He was a self-thought keyboard and organ player, a walking Encyclopaedia of rock music. The happiest I have seen him was behind keyboards or organs. He loved breaking down pieces of songs to me, even when I was a very young girl. We bonded though music and had endless discussions about it. I was always eager to present "my bands" and hear what he had to say about them. Pearl Jam was and is "my band", one that found me and was a band that my dad did not hand down to me. My last PJ concert before his death was Vienna 2014 and I vividly remember how thoughtfully he listened to what I had to say about songs performed. Much to my surprised he said he might check them out if they play close to Slovenia again. It would be very special for me to see Pearl Jam with my life-and-music mentor. But just 2 months later - he was gone. My life split into before and after. The sadness that came over me will always linger and there is the horror of all these people - who are just not him. I could hardly listen to music. The pain. He was in every song. What was my release and harbour, turned into a torture.

There was a wooden Dalecarlian horse found by his side, the one I bought for his birthday while I was studying in Sweden. I told him about the tradition and the meaning of this horse. I remember him saying he is going to have it for safe travels. And so he did, even for his final journey. 
    He died with music playing in his ears. There were three folders on the MP3 player found by his dead body. One contained songs from his beloved group SMAK. Then there was a folder with carefully selected songs, which I believe, were chosen for their lyrics. An explanation of a kind. 
    The third folder contained 12 songs he composed on the keyboard. It was incredibly hard to listen to them and still is. Those songs destroy me each time as they are basically a musical suicide goodbye letter, expressing his pain and depression through instrumental music. I promised myself I would share them. For him, for all the people who loved and respected him. For me. A way of closure. So I did - I released these songs and put it on an album (designed by me) in his honor (for family, friends and his students so we could have something we could go to, somewhere where we can still find him). His goodbye songs are here (unmixed, raw, the way they were found).

Dear Pearl Jam, I wish I could return the gift you gave me unknowingly but I can't or know how to. Instead I am sharing a frail piece of me (and a little music that is as mine as it can be).
    It would be really special for me to hear "Love Reign O'er Me" in Prague that I am attending on 22nd of July. While it might be a little perverse to request a song that is not "your" song, I think it is a perfect fit because:
    - it has keyboards in it
    - my dad was a fan of The Who from his teen years 
    - it was raining heavily on the night he took his life
    - I once read Townsend explained that this song is when Jimmy goes through a suicide crisis
    - symbolically this way my dad could be with me on my birthday in Prague
    (and needless to say - I absolutely love your version of it.)

Thank you for reading <3 , regardless of the success of this request it will be a privilege to be on your concert on my birthday...
    Barbara 

I hope your request gets seen. Good luck and I wish you the greatest pearl jam experience ever!
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    Ill see you Thursday for some beers in Prague! 
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    PRAGUE Meet Up: 
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    Thousand times thank you. I really appreciate all the support.  <3  
    Still constantly torn between “why am I doing this” and “what is the harm in trying” but your posts already made it worthwhile.
    (I am fully and deeply aware that it is not the easiest song one could ask for, but it is just a perfect fit.)

The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,984
    Please play it in prague!!
  • Options
    AP252938AP252938 Posts: 2
    I have no words now, that touched me deeply. Will talk with you in Prague! 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,984
    Bump for prague play!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    just_one said:
    Bump for prague play!!

• Options
    SevardSevard Posts: 1
    And another bump for Prague!
  • Options
    Thank you all, humbled, but now with Vienna being cancelled due to health issues with Ed’s voice…I am not hoping to hear LROM, I only wish for the concert to happen. (Perspective gained).

Song is not easy on the vocal chords (unless the crowd takes over the “Love” / scream parts). 

____

• Options
    Thank you all, humbled, but now with Vienna being cancelled due to health issues with Ed’s voice…I am not hoping to hear LROM, I only wish for the concert to happen. (Perspective gained).

Song is not easy on the vocal chords (unless the crowd takes over the “Love” / scream parts). 
    A beautiful  perspective 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I am listening to your father's music this morning, having read your post. I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing these recordings with us.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    I am listening to your father's music this morning, having read your post. I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing these recordings with us.
    He would have been honored. 

____

• Options
    edited July 2022
    So nooooooooooo. :'( What could have been my very special birthday… (just the fact that the show is on this date). Really devastated. Only love can make it rain….

Is there any chance to still get a poster? They are printed, right? Would still love to have one, even when there was no music played. 

Thanks to everyone who supported this, imagining this show - with a request or without - was a rollercoaster of positive emotions and well what would we do without dreams. Maybe some other day. 

____

• Options
    Posters  on sale Still good luck
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Got the poster. Super happy about it. Want to thank again everyone who supported this thread. 

____

• Options
    margitasirnikmargitasirnik Rijeka, Croatia Posts: 10
    😍 Uživaj i vidimo se opet 😘