Options

Hamilton via Buffalo?

Looking at flights into Toronto for the Hamilton show and it is over $200 cheaper to fly into Buffalo which is only 75 miles away.This involves driving across the border instead of doing customs at the airport.  Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this?  Is it better to cross the border in Buffalo or up at Niagara Falls?  Best time of day to cross?  Anything I am not thinking of?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 687
    It’s always been an easy crossing for me. I live in Ontario but have family in Buffalo. Both Niagara and Buffalo are about the same in my opinion terms of crossings. I always leave extra time for the border (I’m retentive like  that) but I’ve never waited more than an hour at either crossing. There’s also sites that will give the wait times as you approach the border I believe.

Sometimes traffic can back up on the QEW (highway in Ontario) unrelated to the border, so may want to leave some extra time. 

The Buffalo airport is an easy one to fly in and out of, not too large and never too busy imo.  Enjoy the show!
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,179
    I live in Toronto and sometimes use the Buffalo airport as it is a simpler, more pleasant experience than the Toronto.  And often cheaper.  

The thing to be careful about is whether your rental car can be driven into Canada.  A lot of them can but you have to confirm.  Also check out the Canada Border Services Agency website for what you need to cross the border.  The rules are always changing these days.  

If you’ve never been to Niagara Falls you can cross at the Rainbow Bridge.  If there’s no border delay, great.  If there is, you have a view of the falls while waiting your turn.  

I agree with the comment above that there can be non border-related traffic on the QEW towards Hamilton.  But it’s normally not all that bad.  And there can also be traffic between Toronto and Hamilton so that’s a wash.  

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    MB58788MB58788 Posts: 167
    I live in Toronto and sometimes use the Buffalo airport as it is a simpler, more pleasant experience than the Toronto.  And often cheaper.  

The thing to be careful about is whether your rental car can be driven into Canada.  A lot of them can but you have to confirm.  Also check out the Canada Border Services Agency website for what you need to cross the border.  The rules are always changing these days.  

If you’ve never been to Niagara Falls you can cross at the Rainbow Bridge.  If there’s no border delay, great.  If there is, you have a view of the falls while waiting your turn.  

I agree with the comment above that there can be non border-related traffic on the QEW towards Hamilton.  But it’s normally not all that bad.  And there can also be traffic between Toronto and Hamilton so that’s a wash.  

Thanks for the info.  Guess I will try crossing at Niagara Falls.  Probably going to be around 5pm on Memorial Day so hope it isn't too busy.  

Any suggestions for things to do in Hamilton/Toronto while in town?  1st time going there.
  • Options
    MB58788 said:

Thanks for the info.  Guess I will try crossing at Niagara Falls.  Probably going to be around 5pm on Memorial Day so hope it isn't too busy.  

Any suggestions for things to do in Hamilton/Toronto while in town?  1st time going there.
    Do you mean Labor Day? All border crossings risk being very busy at the end of a long weekend in summer.  

Toronto is a world class city.  There are tons of things to do.  It really depends what you’re interested in.  Probably the most touristy thing that people do is take a ride up the CN Tower for the view.  There’s also the film festival starting Sept. 8. Canada’s Wonderland amusement park (though not open weekdays in Sept.) Ontario Science Centre.  Any type of food from around the world.  Etc.  

Hamilton doesn’t offer quite as much…nothing against the Hammer.  

Niagara region has wineries and the falls.  A lot of people like that.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    MB58788MB58788 Posts: 167
    MB58788 said:

Do you mean Labor Day? All border crossings risk being very busy at the end of a long weekend in summer.  

Toronto is a world class city.  There are tons of things to do.  It really depends what you’re interested in.  Probably the most touristy thing that people do is take a ride up the CN Tower for the view.  There’s also the film festival starting Sept. 8. Canada’s Wonderland amusement park (though not open weekdays in Sept.) Ontario Science Centre.  Any type of food from around the world.  Etc.  

Oops, my bad, yes Labor Day was what I meant to say.  I was afraid the 3 day weekend would make for a long wait to get across the border.  
  • Options
    MB58788 said:
    MB58788 said:

Oops, my bad, yes Labor Day was what I meant to say.  I was afraid the 3 day weekend would make for a long wait to get across the border.  
    It probably will.  But you do have 24 hours until Hamilton.

• Options
    j.dee.greenej.dee.greene Buffalo, NY Posts: 1
    I live in Buffalo  and have tickets to the Toronto show. Going across the border is pretty easy…check on the rental car though (whether you can take it to Canada). I’m sure there are buffalo people heading that way. Maybe you can get a ride?
  • Options
    Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 110
    Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Bucket list for me. Lol. Planning on QC, Ott & Ham. Fingers crossed