Options

State of elections since 2020

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Of course Haley won D.C. The swamp creatures despise President Trump. Haley will stay in it as long as the Trump-haters are financing her. Good luck, suckers! See ya' Tuesday.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    shecky said:
    Of course Haley won D.C. The swamp creatures despise President Trump. Haley will stay in it as long as the Trump-haters are financing her. Good luck, suckers! See ya' Tuesday.
    What’s to like about him? 000000
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,733
    shecky said:
    What’s to like about him? 000000

Probably this...
    No description available

...because its easier for them the appreciate a fool who spouts nonsense and who incites their visceral reactionary nature than it is to actually have to do the work to understand what the above mentioned scientists, scholars, historians, economists, and journalists tell us about what is really happening in the world and what needs to be done to make life better for us and the planet as a whole.  I really don't know how else to explain why anyone would like him at all.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,925
    "who incites their visceral reactionary nature".  Well written, brianlux.  From what I can tell, having several friends, fam, nearby communities that love Trump, he allows and emboldens their hatreds. Rather adolescently minded behavior if you ask me, but it is what it is, as they say.  Irrational hatred of the other is a hard thing to understand or compromise with.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    "who incites their visceral reactionary nature".  Well written, brianlux.  From what I can tell, having several friends, fam, nearby communities that love Trump, he as allows and emboldens their hatreds. Rather adolescently minded behavior if you ask me, but it is what it is, as they say.  Irrational hatred of the other is a hard thing to understand or compromise with.

Spot on, V.  "allows and emboldens their hatred", exactly.  He's like  a gateway drug to their hatred, all so knew-jerk in nature.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    will put this here but it applies across the board....

Dan Rather adbook post....

If I may, there’s something I need to get off my chest.

As democracy remains under siege, it has been frustrating to watch how the press covers politics these days.

I am reminded by lessons that came to me during the Nixon years as a CBS News correspondent, which I’ll add here:

1. Enough with Both-sides-ism

When one side lies intentionally and repeatedly, they are no longer entitled to the benefit of the doubt. They should be held to account, right away. Do not simply repeat the narratives they spew.

2. Prioritize Live Fact-Checking

Rigorous and robust fact-checking is the best defense against misinformation, intentional lies, and deflection.

If Trump says the sky is green, the story isn’t that the sky is now green; the story is that the sky is still blue and Trump got it wrong.

3. Ask Lawmakers Hard Questions

Ask about the fundamental principles of democracy. Push them to go on the record that Biden won the 2020 election.

Ask if they support the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

This writing is not to offer any claim of knowing it all. Your correspondent has made his share of mistakes, but after more than seven decades I believe I have picked up a few useful guideposts.

Good journalism is always worth it. Our democracy depends on it.

For the rest of my list, please see my the latest post of my independent newsletter – you can subscribe with the link below in the comments.

P.S. If you can afford it, please consider upgrading as well. It allows me to keep critical pieces like this free for those who cannot afford it, in an election season where we need everyone to see it. Thank you.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

As democracy remains under siege, it has been frustrating to watch how the press covers politics these days.

I am reminded by lessons that came to me during the Nixon years as a CBS News correspondent, which I’ll add here:

When one side lies intentionally and repeatedly, they are no longer entitled to the benefit of the doubt. They should be held to account, right away. Do not simply repeat the narratives they spew.

Rigorous and robust fact-checking is the best defense against misinformation, intentional lies, and deflection.

If Trump says the sky is green, the story isn’t that the sky is now green; the story is that the sky is still blue and Trump got it wrong.

Ask about the fundamental principles of democracy. Push them to go on the record that Biden won the 2020 election.

This writing is not to offer any claim of knowing it all. Your correspondent has made his share of mistakes, but after more than seven decades I believe I have picked up a few useful guideposts.

For the rest of my list, please see my the latest post of my independent newsletter – you can subscribe with the link below in the comments.

P.S. If you can afford it, please consider upgrading as well. It allows me to keep critical pieces like this free for those who cannot afford it, in an election season where we need everyone to see it. Thank you.

One of our greatest journalists ever!  Thanks for posting this!

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat ,  thanks again for posting this.  I am now subscribed to Dan Rather!

• Options
    edited March 12
    An N.F.L. quarterback and a retired professional wrestler walk into a bar and are approached by a politician...

(gifted article)

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    brianlux said:
    An N.F.L. quarterback and a retired professional wrestler walk into a bar and are approached by a politician...

(gifted article)
    Jesse Ventura might make some sense in that he's a total 3rd party type. He's not a party-line voter and has philosophies across the spectrum. Plus he's more politically astute than most people realize and (I say this as a Minnesota native/resident) he legitimately did not govern for his own self and ambitions. He didn't care who he upset; he was going to do what he thought was right.

When Rodgers got caught lying about the vaccination he declared himself a victim of the woke mob before anyone had time to react. He seems far better suited for MAGA. I would not be surprised if he's a MAGA candidate some day.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:

(gifted article)
    Jesse Ventura might make some sense in that he's a total 3rd party type. He's not a party-line voter and has philosophies across the spectrum. Plus he's more politically astute than most people realize and (I say this as a Minnesota native/resident) he legitimately did not govern for his own self and ambitions. He didn't care who he upset; he was going to do what he thought was right.

When Rodgers got caught lying about the vaccination he declared himself a victim of the woke mob before anyone had time to react. He seems far better suited for MAGA. I would not be surprised if he's a MAGA candidate some day.

Yeah, I don't totally object to Ventura, I just think Kennedy can expect people to take him seriously with either of those two as running mates.  Perhaps he never really expected it to happen for him in the first place.  I saw an interview with him awhile back and he seemed like a pretty sharp guy, had some good ideas, etc.  But now... oh well, I have to vote for Biden in any case. 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    RFK and Tulsi are perfect examples of the horseshoe theory 
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    RFK and Tulsi are perfect examples of the horseshoe theory 

Fascinating.  I wasn't familiar with Horseshoe Theory, so looked it up.  Interesting!

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,616
    mickeyrat said:

Twice, I hope?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,616
    mickeyrat said:
    Fuck Joe Pags. “Head and shoulders a better chief executive.” Good lord.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Swing states see newcomers as Americans move from blue to red counties

Even a few movers crossing state lines could sway presidential vote totals in swing states.

By: Tim Henderson, Stateline - April 4, 2024 4:25 am

Voters casting ballots. (Mario Tama/Getty Images.)

In recent years, millions of people across the United States have moved from Democratic cities to Republican suburbs, complicating the politics of swing states in a pivotal election year, according to a Stateline analysis.

Republican suburban counties in four swing states — Georgia in the South and Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin in the Midwest — gained the most new arrivals; heavily Democratic cities lost the most. In Western swing states Arizona and Nevada, meanwhile, the biggest people magnets have been slightly Democratic cities that are expected to be hotly contested.

Those shifts reflect a nationwide trend: In Republican counties, as defined by the 2020 presidential vote, 3.7 million more people have moved in than have left since 2020, while Democratic counties had a net loss of 3.7 million, according to a Stateline analysis of U.S. Census Bureau estimates and county presidential election data kept by the University of Michigan.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates released in March included people who moved within the country between mid-2020 and mid-2023, a time of pandemic dislocations, lockdowns in big cities, and the rise of remote work that fed a search for affordable housing in less crowded and more scenic settings. Those settings, as it turns out, also tend to be more conservative. The census numbers do not include births or immigration.

continues......

• Options

• Options
    From Heather Cox Richardson's letter today:

Today, on ABC’s This Week, host George Stephanopoulos asked New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu about his recent switch from supporting former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley for the Republican presidential nomination to supporting former president Trump. 

“Just to sum up,” Stephanopoulos said, “You support [Trump] for president even if he's convicted in [the] classified documents [case]. You support him for president even though you believe he contributed to an insurrection. You support him for president even though you believe he's lying about the last election. You support him for president even if he's convicted in the Manhattan case. I just want to say, the answer to that is yes, correct?”

Sununu answered: “Yeah. Me and 51% of America.”

Even if Sunununununu is wrong, the fact that so many people ARE behind the Orange Monster proves it...

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Common Cause has been doing great work for quite awhile now!  :plus_one:

• Options