Options

Capitalism, The Fed and Economic Policy

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    mickeyrat said:
    Fake news and if it were real, it ain’t flowing down from Wall Street to Mane Street. Don’t need no shit hole city help anyways. I’m surprised those who ventured down to Manhattan lived to tell the tail, what with all those drug smugglers and overflow scooter riding free cell phone using people running around! Anyone seen Ghouliani lately? Course not, he’s busy keeping the hordes of invaders at bay. Jeebus bless his heart.
    The economy might be growing but the big corporations are not spending thats for sure.

The wall st bigs will not spend their dollars w the interest rates so high.  We all knew that was going to happen.
    The American public is...
    As are CEOs with their outlook.

Washington – Business Roundtable today released its Q1 2024 CEO Economic Outlook Survey, a composite index of CEO plans for capital spending and employment and expectations for sales over the next six months. 

The overall Index increased by 11 points from last quarter to 85, slightly above its historic average of 83 for the first time since 2022. CEO plans for capital investment and expectations for sales are up by double digits from last quarter. Additionally, plans for hiring ticked up modestly.  

“This quarter’s survey results underscore the resiliency of the U.S. economy and suggest accelerating economic activity over the next six months,” said Business Roundtable Chair Chuck Robbins, Chair and Chief Executive Officer of Cisco. “To further strengthen the economy, the U.S. needs to double down on policies that spur domestic investment and bolster American competitiveness. The Tax Relief for American Families and Workers Act is at the top of that list. The House passed this vital measure in an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote, and we strongly encourage the Senate to swiftly follow suit.”

The Survey’s three subindices were as follows:

• Plans for hiring increased 5 points to a value of 60.
    • Plans for capital investment increased 16 points to a value of 78.
    • Expectations for sales increased 13 points to a value of 118.

In their second estimate of 2024 U.S. GDP growth, CEOs projected 2.1% growth for the year. This is up marginally from the 1.9% growth projected in their first estimate last quarter. 

In a special question posed this quarter, CEOs were asked whether they believe that government policies are undermining American free enterprise. Over 75% of CEOs answered “yes.” Of those who answered in the affirmative, 92% of CEOs cited excessive regulation and 63% cited overreaching antitrust actions as policies that are undermining or present a risk to the free enterprise system and the benefits it provides.

https://www.businessroundtable.org/media/ceo-economic-outlook-index/ceo-economic-outlook-index-q1-2024

Capital investments.  Buying up of more property... Only going to drive up prices even higher, why? Because they are in the business to make money.  That's my "sky is falling" outlook on that.

I will tell you that construction is easing up as I said before.  2025 looks to be shaping up great for construction though.

Hiring I like.  Thats good.

We still have all these empty building s in Manhattan.  They have never bounced back yet.  I wonder if they ever so?  Sure some we have refurbished get snatched up but, the older ones reman dormant.  Dormant and the people that own them are still rich, lol.
    Commercial real estate in NYC is not the economy. Everything I’m reading is that construction growth is in infrastructure, manufacturing and mining and the outlook is positive, residential housing be damned. CHIPS Act for high tech manufacturing, infrastructure spending due to the IIJA and another infusion due to environmental credits and initiatives to reduce carbon emissions in new and old infrastructure. Fuck you Brandon.

Highlights of the First Quarter 2024 Starts Forecast:

• Civil projects are anticipated to grow 12.7% in the US following strong 2023. The sector includes roads, bridges, power infrastructure, water & waste treatment projects among other types.
    • Road building, the largest civil engineering sector, is expected to grow at a still healthy 5% in 2024, following double-digit growth last year.
    • Nonresidential building is expected to retreat 2.4% this year, but activity levels remain high in important sectors like manufacturing.
    • Inflation is expected to cool towards the 2% target, while The Federal Reserve appears poised to drop interest ratesin the year's second half.
    • Modest growth of 7.9% in Canadian construction starts is forecast in 2024, before accelerating to 18.5% in 2025 as recessionary pressures subside. Civil engineering projects will drive new Canadian construction again in 2024.
    • recession no longer appears in the forecast but remains a risk as the economy endures the cumulative impact of past tightening in monetary policy, less accommodating lending conditions, and restrictive fiscal policy.

Commercial real-estate is not the economy but its a barometer just like watching stock prices of Caterpillar to gauge construction around the world.

We have huge infrastructure ventures happening in the next few years.  I'm sure you read that Buttigieg came and gave the city/state 10 billion for it.  Mass transit will be getting a major push here.  I know I posted about this a few months ago.

The last one on your list will tie into homebuilding and remodeling of both private and commercial buildings. Lending led us to the previous recession.  Stable jobs reporting should make that ease the lending though(hopefully).

I share what I see and read here in NY as the bigger citys will mimic the other ones in time.

I need to look it up but is there any forecasts for when the chip factories (semiconductors) come online and their expected impact for the US and the world?

intel in ohio has experienced delays. was projected for partial operations  for 2025 I think.  now its pushed back to 2027-28.

progress is happening though. theres been someajor oversize components barged up the ohio river to near portsmouth and trucked to licking county where the plant will be located.

honda has made huge progress for battery plant south of columbus. its under roof at this stage of construction.
    Thanks, you made my rabbit hole a little smaller, lol.  I noticed that newer plants are being made in China too.  I'm sure they'd love to flood the market.

I'm hoping that intel works out as they are building quite a few plants. Texas Instruments too.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    edited June 11
    mickeyrat said:
    Fake news and if it were real, it ain’t flowing down from Wall Street to Mane Street. Don’t need no shit hole city help anyways. I’m surprised those who ventured down to Manhattan lived to tell the tail, what with all those drug smugglers and overflow scooter riding free cell phone using people running around! Anyone seen Ghouliani lately? Course not, he’s busy keeping the hordes of invaders at bay. Jeebus bless his heart.
    The economy might be growing but the big corporations are not spending thats for sure.

The wall st bigs will not spend their dollars w the interest rates so high.  We all knew that was going to happen.

Washington – Business Roundtable today released its Q1 2024 CEO Economic Outlook Survey, a composite index of CEO plans for capital spending and employment and expectations for sales over the next six months. 

The overall Index increased by 11 points from last quarter to 85, slightly above its historic average of 83 for the first time since 2022. CEO plans for capital investment and expectations for sales are up by double digits from last quarter. Additionally, plans for hiring ticked up modestly.  

“This quarter’s survey results underscore the resiliency of the U.S. economy and suggest accelerating economic activity over the next six months,” said Business Roundtable Chair Chuck Robbins, Chair and Chief Executive Officer of Cisco. “To further strengthen the economy, the U.S. needs to double down on policies that spur domestic investment and bolster American competitiveness. The Tax Relief for American Families and Workers Act is at the top of that list. The House passed this vital measure in an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote, and we strongly encourage the Senate to swiftly follow suit.”

In their second estimate of 2024 U.S. GDP growth, CEOs projected 2.1% growth for the year. This is up marginally from the 1.9% growth projected in their first estimate last quarter. 

In a special question posed this quarter, CEOs were asked whether they believe that government policies are undermining American free enterprise. Over 75% of CEOs answered “yes.” Of those who answered in the affirmative, 92% of CEOs cited excessive regulation and 63% cited overreaching antitrust actions as policies that are undermining or present a risk to the free enterprise system and the benefits it provides.

https://www.businessroundtable.org/media/ceo-economic-outlook-index/ceo-economic-outlook-index-q1-2024

Capital investments.  Buying up of more property... Only going to drive up prices even higher, why? Because they are in the business to make money.  That's my "sky is falling" outlook on that.

I will tell you that construction is easing up as I said before.  2025 looks to be shaping up great for construction though.

We still have all these empty building s in Manhattan.  They have never bounced back yet.  I wonder if they ever so?  Sure some we have refurbished get snatched up but, the older ones reman dormant.  Dormant and the people that own them are still rich, lol.
    Commercial real estate in NYC is not the economy. Everything I’m reading is that construction growth is in infrastructure, manufacturing and mining and the outlook is positive, residential housing be damned. CHIPS Act for high tech manufacturing, infrastructure spending due to the IIJA and another infusion due to environmental credits and initiatives to reduce carbon emissions in new and old infrastructure. Fuck you Brandon.

• Civil projects are anticipated to grow 12.7% in the US following strong 2023. The sector includes roads, bridges, power infrastructure, water & waste treatment projects among other types.
    • Road building, the largest civil engineering sector, is expected to grow at a still healthy 5% in 2024, following double-digit growth last year.
    • Nonresidential building is expected to retreat 2.4% this year, but activity levels remain high in important sectors like manufacturing.
    • Inflation is expected to cool towards the 2% target, while The Federal Reserve appears poised to drop interest ratesin the year's second half.
    • Modest growth of 7.9% in Canadian construction starts is forecast in 2024, before accelerating to 18.5% in 2025 as recessionary pressures subside. Civil engineering projects will drive new Canadian construction again in 2024.
    • recession no longer appears in the forecast but remains a risk as the economy endures the cumulative impact of past tightening in monetary policy, less accommodating lending conditions, and restrictive fiscal policy.

Commercial real-estate is not the economy but its a barometer just like watching stock prices of Caterpillar to gauge construction around the world.

We have huge infrastructure ventures happening in the next few years.  I'm sure you read that Buttigieg came and gave the city/state 10 billion for it.  Mass transit will be getting a major push here.  I know I posted about this a few months ago.

The last one on your list will tie into homebuilding and remodeling of both private and commercial buildings. Lending led us to the previous recession.  Stable jobs reporting should make that ease the lending though(hopefully).

I share what I see and read here in NY as the bigger citys will mimic the other ones in time.

I need to look it up but is there any forecasts for when the chip factories (semiconductors) come online and their expected impact for the US and the world?

intel in ohio has experienced delays. was projected for partial operations  for 2025 I think.  now its pushed back to 2027-28.

progress is happening though. theres been someajor oversize components barged up the ohio river to near portsmouth and trucked to licking county where the plant will be located.

honda has made huge progress for battery plant south of columbus. its under roof at this stage of construction.
    Thanks, you made my rabbit hole a little smaller, lol.  I noticed that newer plants are being made in China too.  I'm sure they'd love to flood the market.

I'm hoping that intel works out as they are building quite a few plants. Texas Instruments too.

massive by truck. 900k
    https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/about-us/news/statewide/twelfth-super-load-heading-to-new-albany?fbclid=IwY2xjawDUqntleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHYfLUl9prnGSQDHA-3doTvJTpk39hIYu9y4le9KXjdrNrYAi2BVHeNYNnA_aem_AUOLpqiBgM7ei8_uQjJdj1J8z7anO9Oos97efY42sa5hPy-5teKaGc1N3Xk4AKMlZFDs_uDvb36PAAjFe7uJPnYT
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

massive by truck. 900k
    https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/about-us/news/statewide/twelfth-super-load-heading-to-new-albany?fbclid=IwY2xjawDUqntleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHYfLUl9prnGSQDHA-3doTvJTpk39hIYu9y4le9KXjdrNrYAi2BVHeNYNnA_aem_AUOLpqiBgM7ei8_uQjJdj1J8z7anO9Oos97efY42sa5hPy-5teKaGc1N3Xk4AKMlZFDs_uDvb36PAAjFe7uJPnYT
    I've seen large precast loads and steel on trucks.  Never something this big before. Wow.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

massive by truck. 900k
    I've seen large precast loads and steel on trucks.  Never something this big before. Wow.

that 916k is just the product. trailer and associated equipment adds roughly 400k more
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

massive by truck. 900k

that 916k is just the product. trailer and associated equipment adds roughly 400k more
    It's massive yeah.  The insurance and the trucking bill on those things, man.  Just want 1/2% of the total, lol.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469
    https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/12/cpi-report-june-inflation.html

ECONOMY

Inflation slows in May, with consumer prices up 3.3% from a year ago

PUBLISHED WED, JUN 12 20248:31 AM EDTUPDATED 8 MIN AGO
    SHAREShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email
    KEY POINTS
    • The consumer price index held flat in May though it increased 3.3% from a year ago. Both numbers were 0.1 percentage point below market expectations.
    • Excluding volatile food and energy prices, core CPI increased 0.2% on the month and 3.4% from a year ago, compared to respective estimates of 0.3% and 3.5%.
    • Price increases were held in check by a 2% drop in the energy index and just a 0.1% increase in food.

The consumer price index showed no increase in May as inflation slightly loosened its stubborn grip on the U.S. economy, the Labor Department reported Wednesday.

CPI, a broad inflation gauge that measures a basket of goods and services costs across the U.S. economy, held flat on the month though it increased 3.3% from a year ago, according to the department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a 0.1% monthly gain and a 3.4% annual rate.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, core CPI increased 0.2% on the month and 3.4% from a year ago, compared to respective estimates of 0.3% and 3.5%.

Following the report, stock market futures pushed higher while Treasury yields slid.

Though the top-line inflation numbers were lower for both the all-items and core measures, shelter inflation increased 0.4% on the month and was up 5.4% from a year ago. Housing-related numbers have been a sticking point in the Federal Reserve’s inflation battle and make up a heavy share of the CPI weighting.

Price increases were held in check, though, by a 2% drop in the energy index and just a 0.1% increase in food. Within the energy component, gas prices tumbled 3.6%. Another nettlesome inflation component, motor vehicle insurance, saw a 0.1% monthly decline though still up more than 20% on an annual basis.

“Finally, some positive surprises as both headline and core inflation beat forecasts,” said Robert Frick, corporate economist with Navy Federal Credit Union. “There was relief at the pump, but unfortunately home and apartment costs continue to rise and remain the main cause of inflation. Until those shelter costs begin their long-awaited fall, we won’t see major drops in CPI.”

The release comes at an important juncture for the economy as the Federal Reserve weighs its next moves on monetary policy, which will be based heavily on where inflation is heading.

Later Wednesday, the rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee will wrap up its two-day policy meeting. Markets widely expect the Fed to keep its benchmark overnight borrowing rate targeted in a range of 5.25%-5.5%, but will be looking for clues about where the central bank is heading.

Following the CPI release, futures traders upped the chances of the Fed cutting in September, which would be the first move lower since the early days of the Covid pandemic. However, the market outlook has been volatile, and Fed officials have stressed that they need to see more than a month or two of positive data before easing policy.

“You’re going to need three more months of very friendly inflation data to cut” in September, said Joseph LaVorgna, chief economist at SMBC Nikko Securities. “If they start easing or talk about easing more, I think they’re going to complicate their own their own goals of getting inflation back to 2%.”

Durable inflation has kept the Fed on the sidelines since it last hiked rates in July 2023. At the March meeting, FOMC members indicated the likelihood that they could rate cuts three times this year for a total of 0.75 percentage point, but they are expected to amend that down to either two or even just one reduction.

In addition, committee members will update their projections on gross domestic product growth as well as inflation and unemployment, all of which could be influenced by the CPI numbers. Economists expect the Fed to raise its projections for inflation and lower the outlook for broad economic growth as reflected by GDP.

Though the Fed doesn’t use CPI as its main inflation indicator, it still figures into the calculus. Policymakers focus more on the Commerce Department’s personal consumption expenditures price index, a broader gauge that takes into account changes in consumer behavior.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    huh. imagine that. some major chains begin the rollback of jacked up pricing in the face of record profits and it results in this....

• Options

The U.S. Economy Reaches Superstar Status

No, really.

A coin as part of a blue ribbon
    Illustration by Michael Haddad
    June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

00:00

14:20

Produced by ElevenLabs and News Over Audio (NOA) using AI narration.

If the United States’ economy were an athlete, right now it would be peak LeBron James. If it were a pop star, it would be peak Taylor Swift. Four years ago, the pandemic temporarily brought much of the world economy to a halt. Since then, America’s economic performance has left other countries in the dust and even broken some of its own records. The growth rate is high, the unemployment rate is at historic lows, household wealth is surging, and wages are rising faster than costs, especially for the working class. There are many ways to define a good economy. America is in tremendous shape according to just about any of them.

The American public doesn’t feel that way—a dynamic that many people, including me, have recently tried to explain. But if, instead of asking how people feel about the economy, we ask how it’s objectively performing, we get a very different answer.

Let’s start with economists’ favorite metric: growth. When an economy is growing, more money is being spent. More stuff is being produced, more services are being performed, more businesses are being started, more workers are being hired—and, because of this abundance, living standards are probably rising. (On the flip side, during a recession—literally, when the economy shrinks—life gets materially worse.) Right now America’s economic-growth rate is the envy of the world. From the end of 2019 to the end of 2023, U.S. GDP grew by 8.2 percent—nearly twice as fast as Canada’s, three times as fast as the European Union’s, and more than eight times as fast as the United Kingdom’s.

Rogé Karma: What would it take to convince Americans that the economy is fine?

continues...

• Options

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

If the United States’ economy were an athlete, right now it would be peak LeBron James. If it were a pop star, it would be peak Taylor Swift. Four years ago, the pandemic temporarily brought much of the world economy to a halt. Since then, America’s economic performance has left other countries in the dust and even broken some of its own records. The growth rate is high, the unemployment rate is at historic lows, household wealth is surging, and wages are rising faster than costs, especially for the working class. There are many ways to define a good economy. America is in tremendous shape according to just about any of them.

The American public doesn’t feel that way—a dynamic that many people, including me, have recently tried to explain. But if, instead of asking how people feel about the economy, we ask how it’s objectively performing, we get a very different answer.

Let’s start with economists’ favorite metric: growth. When an economy is growing, more money is being spent. More stuff is being produced, more services are being performed, more businesses are being started, more workers are being hired—and, because of this abundance, living standards are probably rising. (On the flip side, during a recession—literally, when the economy shrinks—life gets materially worse.) Right now America’s economic-growth rate is the envy of the world. From the end of 2019 to the end of 2023, U.S. GDP grew by 8.2 percent—nearly twice as fast as Canada’s, three times as fast as the European Union’s, and more than eight times as fast as the United Kingdom’s.

continues...

I believe it.

I went to Costco on a Tuesday and the placed was packed like it was a Weekend. I always go on a Tuesday, or a Wed.s to avoid the crowd.

I've also seen a lot of New Car Tags(Temporary) while driving around too.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

I went to Costco on a Tuesday and the placed was packed like it was a Weekend. I always go on a Tuesday, or a Wed.s to avoid the crowd.

which is amazing seeing so many temp tags given interest rates havent starting dropping yet.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

which is amazing seeing so many temp tags given interest rates havent starting dropping yet.
    I want to know what people are doing to be buying cars?  I have seen a few dealerships offer zero financing.  Maybe that is the incentive?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

I want to know what people are doing to be buying cars?  I have seen a few dealerships offer zero financing.  Maybe that is the incentive?

perhaps. they get bonus for meeting unit totals. its also an indication folks are better these days despite high grocery prices etc...
    many polled say they are personally doing well, but still believe the ecnomy is bad ...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

perhaps. they get bonus for meeting unit totals. its also an indication folks are better these days despite high grocery prices etc...
    many polled say they are personally doing well, but still believe the ecnomy is bad ...
    Car sales have been down 12% past few years so this is somewhat befuddling.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

Is that inventory related? Be interesting to see if cars are actually sitting for longer than usual. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

Could be I just so-happened to see a few recently in my area(and NO, I don't live in a rich area=LOL) and not the norm.

I'm looking to buy a new car, or a '23, but I NEED  a car as mine is 19 years old. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

Is that inventory related? Be interesting to see if cars are actually sitting for longer than usual. 
    Sales themselves are down 12%.  We know the car makers are making fewer for higher profits.  People just aren't buying them.

Great example is the Dodge Hornet.  I like the car, not the price.  The public has spoken too and sales reflect that.  You can't throw a high price on something because it's the way things are and expect good results from an inferior product.
    Sales are abysmal. Nobody wants them.

My take on why sales are down.  Prices are too damn high.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

Could be I just so-happened to see a few recently in my area(and NO, I don't live in a rich area=LOL) and not the norm.

I'm looking to buy a new car, or a '23, but I NEED  a car as mine is 19 years old. 
    I'm looking too.  I think I will get the Bronco instead of the Hornet, unless the Hornet goes to like 25K then I'd get it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

Sales themselves are down 12%.  We know the car makers are making fewer for higher profits.  People just aren't buying them.

Great example is the Dodge Hornet.  I like the car, not the price.  The public has spoken too and sales reflect that.  You can't throw a high price on something because it's the way things are and expect good results from an inferior product.

That doesn't make a ton of sense.  When inventory stacks up, dealerships and manufacturers cut prices.  It's simple economics.  That can't afford to have a depreciating asset sit on the lot.  
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    Maybe owning a car that costs a semester’s tuition payment, gets shit for gas mileage, contributes to the climate change crises and costs a meal plan in insurance premiums isn’t all that attractive of an option to gen Z and millennials? Maybe they’re fine with urban living, bike paths and public transportation and/or working from home and not spending a shit ton of time commuting? And using car shares when needed. From an economic standpoint, new car ownership is a losing proposition. Hey, but drill baby drill, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Maybe owning a car that costs a semester’s tuition payment, gets shit for gas mileage, contributes to the climate change crises and costs a meal plan in insurance premiums isn’t all that attractive of an option to gen Z and millennials? Maybe they’re fine with urban living, bike paths and public transportation and/or working from home and not spending a shit ton of time commuting? And using car shares when needed. From an economic standpoint, new car ownership is a losing proposition. Hey, but drill baby drill, right?
    They do make a hybrid model!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

That doesn't make a ton of sense.  When inventory stacks up, dealerships and manufacturers cut prices.  It's simple economics.  That can't afford to have a depreciating asset sit on the lot.  
    You can literally look up the Dodge numbers and see.  It's a horrible business model and it IS Dodge.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

You can literally look up the Dodge numbers and see.  It's a horrible business model and it IS Dodge.
    My brief research told me that because inventories of new cars were expected to rise in 2024, that used car prices would be falling up to 20%, but remain above pre-2020 levels.  I don't know what the Dodge numbers are.  
  • Options
    I would always expect to pay more for a car than a semester of college.  That's not particularly close.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I would always expect to pay more for a car than a semester of college.  That's not particularly close.  
    You aren't doing MIT or Harvard?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You aren't doing MIT or Harvard?
    Negative.  My daughter went to William and Mary and that was less than 9k per semester.  My son went to JMU and that was 6700 per semester.  I'm not driving a car that cost 6700 very far.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

My brief research told me that because inventories of new cars were expected to rise in 2024, that used car prices would be falling up to 20%, but remain above pre-2020 levels.  I don't know what the Dodge numbers are.  
    I'm using the Hornet as an example and one car I have followed.  It's numbers sold last year were 9300.  That isn't much for a "sport new car".  The car should be priced at half that and then maybe you'd sell more.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    cutz said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, really.

June 10, 2024

Listen to this article

continues...

I believe it.

I'm using the Hornet as an example and one car I have followed.  It's numbers sold last year were 9300.  That isn't much for a "sport new car".  The car should be priced at half that and then maybe you'd sell more.
    Funny, I didn't even know what a Hornet was.  Had to look it up.  I was hoping it was like the Super Bee.  It isn't. 
  • Options
    Point being, the younger generations aren’t all that into car culture, given the costs to buy, maintain, own a car. They’ve invented the “shared economy”. It’s a different world.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    And I wouldn’t pay any amount of money for a Dodge, never mind $35K cash ‘Murican.

Brilliantati©