Options

Capitalism, The Fed and Economic Policy

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Usually by now we have a lot of public works coming out to bid, there aren't.  Private isn't looking that great either.  The prison industry is booming again though.  My former employee has been trying to get me back because they have a serious backlog.

So yes, I would lean towards a recession coming.
    I heard on the news this morning that in some areas unemployment rate on construction is less than 1%.  You aren't seeing anything close to that?
    We have more than that here in NYC.  There are a few projects coming up but the benches are getting full at the hall and Furlough for the Electricians is going to be a year perhaps.

These things usually happen in the big cities first then trickle out.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mrussel1 said:
    Usually by now we have a lot of public works coming out to bid, there aren't.  Private isn't looking that great either.  The prison industry is booming again though.  My former employee has been trying to get me back because they have a serious backlog.

I heard on the news this morning that in some areas unemployment rate on construction is less than 1%.  You aren't seeing anything close to that?
    We have more than that here in NYC.  There are a few projects coming up but the benches are getting full at the hall and Furlough for the Electricians is going to be a year perhaps.

not in ohio. osu doesnt stop building. intel plant.  adbook and google and amazon cloud farms.  thats just central ohio.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

not in ohio. osu doesnt stop building. intel plant.  adbook and google and amazon cloud farms.  thats just central ohio.
    NYC technically doesn't "stop building" either but there are slow downs.  Hell, JFK, MTA and LaGuardia have all been under construction for the past 12 years I've been here.  Even with these projects going on there are slowdowns.  The smaller projects that are non union start to pile up quick with unemployment.

Texas will have a boom but it's not for another 2 years or so with the chip plants.

Hearing that Ohio keeps building is interesting. Not everyone can eat off of OSUs plate though.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

NYC technically doesn't "stop building" either but there are slow downs.  Hell, JFK, MTA and LaGuardia have all been under construction for the past 12 years I've been here.  Even with these projects going on there are slowdowns.  The smaller projects that are non union start to pile up quick with unemployment.

Texas will have a boom but it's not for another 2 years or so with the chip plants.

Hearing that Ohio keeps building is interesting. Not everyone can eat off of OSUs plate though.
    Samsung is well underway with one of their biggest chip plants that is going up in Taylor just outside of Austin,  They are having trouble finding skilled contractors because of all the other chip plants going up around the US. I am now out of the loop as I left that industry behind, but I am pretty sure there are some other huge projects going on with TI in Dallas among others,  I can't imagine a bigger boom, there would literally be no people to work because the industry is stretched thin as it is at least construction/inspection side.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Samsung is well underway with one of their biggest chip plants that is going up in Taylor just outside of Austin,  They are having trouble finding skilled contractors because of all the other chip plants going up around the US. I am now out of the loop as I left that industry behind, but I am pretty sure there are some other huge projects going on with TI in Dallas among others,  I can't imagine a bigger boom, there would literally be no people to work because the industry is stretched thin as it is at least construction/inspection side.
    The Biden admin been pouring gov't resources into subsidies to build chip plants in the US (CHIPS and Science Act).  We made pretty big mistakes in outsourcing critical defense components like chips.  Many are made in Taiwan, who is an ally, but who knows for how long.  I'd be curious to know if that Samsung plant happened due to the act.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

The Biden admin been pouring gov't resources into subsidies to build chip plants in the US (CHIPS and Science Act).  We made pretty big mistakes in outsourcing critical defense components like chips.  Many are made in Taiwan, who is an ally, but who knows for how long.  I'd be curious to know if that Samsung plant happened due to the act.  
    I believe it did.  It was big news.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I haven't followed up on what's going on with the plant but yes it's a big deal but again, NY isn't benefitting from that tech boom.  I will tell you this, Austin wouldn't have been my first choice for that plant.  That area is very heavily congested now.  It's crazy how populated it got.

That all started from Dell I think?

From what I read on the chip plants only 1 was going to be a superconductor plant where any of the others were not as big?  And Intel was going to be building new chip plants also.

It would be nice if we started making the batteries for Ev cars too.

These chip plants aren't scheduled to be up and running for a few more years I think?
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I haven't followed up on what's going on with the plant but yes it's a big deal but again, NY isn't benefitting from that tech boom.  I will tell you this, Austin wouldn't have been my first choice for that plant.  That area is very heavily congested now.  It's crazy how populated it got.

From what I read on the chip plants only 1 was going to be a superconductor plant where any of the others were not as big?  And Intel was going to be building new chip plants also.

These chip plants aren't scheduled to be up and running for a few more years I think?
    They’re not?

New York outlets are reporting on Micron Technology Inc.’s historic multi-billion dollar investment in Upstate New York to construct the largest semiconductor manufacturing facility in the U.S., creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs.

The announcement, which President Biden called “another win for America,” is just the latest investment in America spurred by the President’s economic plan and his commitment to rebuilding American manufacturing. Micron CEO Sanjay Mehrotra credited the CHIPS and Science Act – which President Biden signed into law this past August – as being directly responsible for Micron’s investment in New York, saying in a statement that “there is no doubt that without the CHIPS Act, we would not be here today.”

It comes on the heels of last month’s pledge from Wolfspeed that it will invest $5 billion on a new chipmaking facility in North Carolina, and the groundbreaking of Intel’s new $20 billion facility in Ohio.

Read below for a sampling of the coverage:

Syracuse Post-Standard (Syracuse.com) : Biden: Micron’s computer chip deal in Syracuse area ‘another win for America’
    “To those who doubted that America could dominate the industries of the future, I say this – you should never bet against the American people,” Biden said in a statement. … “Today is another win for America, and another massive new investment in America spurred by my economic plan,” Biden said. “Micron, an American company, is investing $20 billion dollars this decade and up to $100 billion over 20 years in chips manufacturing in Upstate New York, creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs.” … White House chief of staff Ron Klain called Micron’s commitment to build at White Pine Commerce Park in the town of Clay “one of the largest industrial job-creating projects in U.S. history.”

CNY Central: President, local lawmakers react to Micron choosing Central New York for plant
    President Biden is among those reacting to the announcement, releasing the following statement: “To those who doubted that America could dominate the industries of the future, I say this – you should never bet against the American people. Today is another win for America, and another massive new investment in America spurred by my economic plan. Micron, an American company, is investing $20 billion dollars this decade and up to $100 billion over twenty years in CHIPS manufacturing in upstate New York, creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs. Together, we are building an economy from the bottom up and the middle out, where we lower costs for our families and make it right here in America.”

New York Daily News: Micron to build massive Syracuse, N.Y. factory; Schumer hails ‘Erie Canal moment’
    The project was supercharged by bipartisan legislation, shepherded through the Senate by Schumer and signed by President Biden, that authorized more than $50 billion in semiconductor manufacturing investments. … And it was boosted by a New York law signed by Hochul that created incentives of up to $10 billion for eco-friendly semiconductor manufacturing projects. Micron’s plan for the plant includes commitments to use 100% renewable electricity and to aim for zero landfill waste, among other green pledges. … Micron’s chief executive, Sanjay Mehrotra, credited both the passage of the federal measure, called the CHIPS and Science Act, and the state Green CHIPS law for making the Clay project possible.

Spectrum NY1: Micron to open ‘transformational’ chip plant in Syracuse suburb, bring thousands of jobs
    “After years and years of hard work, it’s official. Micron is coming to Central New York. If there’s a word to describe to today it’s transformational; for upstate New York, for America. It will be the most advanced chip manufacturer in America and probably the world, all here in Central New York,” [Senate Majority Leader Chuck] Schumer said in a statement. “We invented the chip in America and once again we are going to make them here in America. We will bring these jobs back from foreign shores and end our dependence on foreign chips.”

WAER (Syracuse University, NY): It’s official: Micron chip maker is moving in to the Town of Clay
    The plan would create the “largest semiconductor fabrication facility in the history of the U.S.,” according to a release from Micron. The company expects the project to create tens of thousands of jobs in the region over the next 20 years. … U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said at the announcement hosted by Syracuse University the development’s significance is similar to the 19th century opening of the Erie Canal, which brought an influx of jobs and industrial progress. … “New Yorkers and Americans will look back 50 years from now and remember this project as our Erie Canal moment,” said Schumer, who was joined on stage by the governor, Onondaga County executive and Micron CEO.

Albany Times Union: Schumer unveils Micron’s plans to build $100 billion chip fab outside Syracuse
    Micron Technology, one of the world’s largest computer chip manufacturers, has picked the Syracuse suburbs for a new $100 billion semiconductor factory that could create 50,000 jobs and likely cements Albany Nanotech as the choice for a new billion-dollar national chip research lab. … New York state has offered Micron $5 billion in state tax breaks to land what is the largest economic development deal in state history and one of the largest semiconductor projects in U.S. history. Micron would spend $20 billion through 2030 as it ramps up operations. Construction would begin in 2024. New York would add another $500 million in job training support.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/05/what-they-are-reading-in-the-states-syracuse-post-standard-biden-microns-computer-chip-deal-in-syracuse-area-another-win-for-america/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    It's so weird, I haven't seen any of this news on Fox.  I did read about Hunter's laptop and drag shows.  That seems more important. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited February 2023
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

They’re not?

New York outlets are reporting on Micron Technology Inc.’s historic multi-billion dollar investment in Upstate New York to construct the largest semiconductor manufacturing facility in the U.S., creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs.

The announcement, which President Biden called “another win for America,” is just the latest investment in America spurred by the President’s economic plan and his commitment to rebuilding American manufacturing. Micron CEO Sanjay Mehrotra credited the CHIPS and Science Act – which President Biden signed into law this past August – as being directly responsible for Micron’s investment in New York, saying in a statement that “there is no doubt that without the CHIPS Act, we would not be here today.”

It comes on the heels of last month’s pledge from Wolfspeed that it will invest $5 billion on a new chipmaking facility in North Carolina, and the groundbreaking of Intel’s new $20 billion facility in Ohio.

Read below for a sampling of the coverage:

Syracuse Post-Standard (Syracuse.com) : Biden: Micron’s computer chip deal in Syracuse area ‘another win for America’
    “To those who doubted that America could dominate the industries of the future, I say this – you should never bet against the American people,” Biden said in a statement. … “Today is another win for America, and another massive new investment in America spurred by my economic plan,” Biden said. “Micron, an American company, is investing $20 billion dollars this decade and up to $100 billion over 20 years in chips manufacturing in Upstate New York, creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs.” … White House chief of staff Ron Klain called Micron’s commitment to build at White Pine Commerce Park in the town of Clay “one of the largest industrial job-creating projects in U.S. history.”

CNY Central: President, local lawmakers react to Micron choosing Central New York for plant
    President Biden is among those reacting to the announcement, releasing the following statement: “To those who doubted that America could dominate the industries of the future, I say this – you should never bet against the American people. Today is another win for America, and another massive new investment in America spurred by my economic plan. Micron, an American company, is investing $20 billion dollars this decade and up to $100 billion over twenty years in CHIPS manufacturing in upstate New York, creating tens of thousands of good paying jobs. Together, we are building an economy from the bottom up and the middle out, where we lower costs for our families and make it right here in America.”

New York Daily News: Micron to build massive Syracuse, N.Y. factory; Schumer hails ‘Erie Canal moment’
    The project was supercharged by bipartisan legislation, shepherded through the Senate by Schumer and signed by President Biden, that authorized more than $50 billion in semiconductor manufacturing investments. … And it was boosted by a New York law signed by Hochul that created incentives of up to $10 billion for eco-friendly semiconductor manufacturing projects. Micron’s plan for the plant includes commitments to use 100% renewable electricity and to aim for zero landfill waste, among other green pledges. … Micron’s chief executive, Sanjay Mehrotra, credited both the passage of the federal measure, called the CHIPS and Science Act, and the state Green CHIPS law for making the Clay project possible.

Spectrum NY1: Micron to open ‘transformational’ chip plant in Syracuse suburb, bring thousands of jobs
    “After years and years of hard work, it’s official. Micron is coming to Central New York. If there’s a word to describe to today it’s transformational; for upstate New York, for America. It will be the most advanced chip manufacturer in America and probably the world, all here in Central New York,” [Senate Majority Leader Chuck] Schumer said in a statement. “We invented the chip in America and once again we are going to make them here in America. We will bring these jobs back from foreign shores and end our dependence on foreign chips.”

WAER (Syracuse University, NY): It’s official: Micron chip maker is moving in to the Town of Clay
    The plan would create the “largest semiconductor fabrication facility in the history of the U.S.,” according to a release from Micron. The company expects the project to create tens of thousands of jobs in the region over the next 20 years. … U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said at the announcement hosted by Syracuse University the development’s significance is similar to the 19th century opening of the Erie Canal, which brought an influx of jobs and industrial progress. … “New Yorkers and Americans will look back 50 years from now and remember this project as our Erie Canal moment,” said Schumer, who was joined on stage by the governor, Onondaga County executive and Micron CEO.

Albany Times Union: Schumer unveils Micron’s plans to build $100 billion chip fab outside Syracuse
    Micron Technology, one of the world’s largest computer chip manufacturers, has picked the Syracuse suburbs for a new $100 billion semiconductor factory that could create 50,000 jobs and likely cements Albany Nanotech as the choice for a new billion-dollar national chip research lab. … New York state has offered Micron $5 billion in state tax breaks to land what is the largest economic development deal in state history and one of the largest semiconductor projects in U.S. history. Micron would spend $20 billion through 2030 as it ramps up operations. Construction would begin in 2024. New York would add another $500 million in job training support.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/05/what-they-are-reading-in-the-states-syracuse-post-standard-biden-microns-computer-chip-deal-in-syracuse-area-another-win-for-america/
    I wasn't aware we were making one here in NY.  It'll be interesting to see how they are able to do clean rooms here. Tens of thousands of jobs from one plant though?  I'll believe that when it happens because that is one big workforce.  50k people is alot.  

That would be the US' largest employer for one city if they can do that.

I hope it does happen.  It'll be 4 years down the line but that would be something.

Edit:  I remember reading about China complaining about the US attempting to build these Chip factories.  I see why now.  This is a game changer.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

It was underway well before the chips act.  I remember meetings at least 2 years ago talking about it.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    edited February 2023
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Projects that I knew about before CHIPS act were Intel expansion in Phoenix, Intel expansion in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, Taiwan semi conductor in or around Phoenix, The gigantic Samsung expansion here in Austin and the big expansion of TI up in Dallas.  I'm sue they will figure out a way to get chips funds even though the projects were started before chips was announced.  The problem remains there is a lack of skilled workers and inspection teams for all these new plants.  I am so glad to be out of the business.  It is a big polluter, water hog, resource hog, and I am almost certain that part of the chips functioning so well is the little pieces of soul that it steals from the workers at the plants.

Just before I left it was discovered that Samsung leaked something like 700,000 gallons of Hydrocloric Acid wastewater into the surrounding creeks...a few weeks after that they were given a clean water award.  
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Projects that I knew about before CHIPS act were Intel expansion in Phoenix, Intel expansion in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, Taiwan semi conductor in or around Phoenix, The gigantic Samsung expansion here in Austin and the big expansion of TI up in Dallas.  I'm sue they will figure out a way to get chips funds even though the projects were started before chips was announced.  The problem remains there is a lack of skilled workers and inspection teams for all these new plants.  I am so glad to be out of the business.  It is a big polluter, water hog, resource hog, and I am almost certain that part of the chips functioning so well is the little pieces of soul that it steals from the workers at the plants.

Just before I left it was discovered that Samsung leaked something like 700,000 gallons of Hydrocloric Acid wastewater into the surrounding creeks...a few weeks after that they were given a clean water award.  
    it's really a double edged sword.  You need chips, but you're right on the damage.  But at the same time, being reliant on Asia is a strategic risk to our security.  Sometimes there are no good solutions. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

it's really a double edged sword.  You need chips, but you're right on the damage.  But at the same time, being reliant on Asia is a strategic risk to our security.  Sometimes there are no good solutions. 
    I'm surprised that Fox didn't report on all the chemicals that Samsung spilled and how the people of Austin are going to be sick and die forever, because of Pete and Biden.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm surprised that Fox didn't report on all the chemicals that Samsung spilled and how the people of Austin are going to be sick and die forever, because of Pete and Biden.
    There was a big fight between DeSantis and Disney, so that was more important.  
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

There were THAT many start ups?  Fax posted an article that claims everyone of those are getting in on the CHIPS act.

I can see not having the labor for it.  It's a big expansion to have that many plants going up at once.  I would expect the US to give out a bunch of tech visas to encourage people to come.

Something else I would like to see is reclaiming of water from these plants.

One of these being built in NY is very odd as we don't allow certain mass polluting factories here because our laws are so strict.

How does one leak 700,ooo gallons of Hydrocloric acid into the ground?  That's an olympic sized swimming pool of an amount?

So, that job is soul sucking huh?  That's a shame considering half a mill or more will be a part of that industry here in the next 5 years.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

There were THAT many start ups?  Fax posted an article that claims everyone of those are getting in on the CHIPS act.

I can see not having the labor for it.  It's a big expansion to have that many plants going up at once.  I would expect the US to give out a bunch of tech visas to encourage people to come.

One of these being built in NY is very odd as we don't allow certain mass polluting factories here because our laws are so strict.

How does one leak 700,ooo gallons of Hydrocloric acid into the ground?  That's an olympic sized swimming pool of an amount?

So, that job is soul sucking huh?  That's a shame considering half a mill or more will be a part of that industry here in the next 5 years.
    The production of the chips  supersedes the well being of everyday employees.  Long shifts lack of days off and inadequate vacation and sick time.  Also there were several occasions where QA was asked to sign off on some work that needed to meet deadline that was not done adequeatly and in which many shortcuts were taken.  The response to the inspectors not signing off on the work was to write up a variance that even went against the company's SOP that allowed shoddy workmanship in order to meet the deadline of having the new equipment installed.  I can't say that all facilities are like this, because I can only vouch for my experiences, however I have heard stories that production usually supersedes safety, labor and workmanship especially when it comes to deadlines being made that effect executive bonuses, or big name customer chip orders.

Yes there were that many new projects in development or kicking off pre CHIPS.  

You wondered earlier why put a plant in an already congested city like Austin? The answer is tax breaks.  The reason that the new facility is in Taylor rather than the existing Austin campus was because even though Austin was handing out huge amounts of corporate welfare in the form of tax breaks, Samsung wanted more .  So they went about 30 miles away and got what they wanted and are building a huge plant on very soft ground in an area that lacks critical infrastructure and doesn't even have the water that is needed for a facility with the production capacity this size.

HCL wastewater, not straight HCL.  Supposedly one of the lines from the HCL wastewater to the onsite wastewater facility had a leak.  How a leak that size goes unnoticed long enough to leak that much wastewater?  I would guess a lack of safety measures.  It was very hush hush at the time.  The thing that killed me was that they received a water quality or conservation award or whatever soon after the incident.

Reclaiming some of the water from these facilities is going to be very tough considering all of the nasty chemicals that are utilized in the process.  If only we weren't always wanting more and more and newer and newer before we even figured out to use what we have and it's ramifications on culture, society and the environment.  I sure am glad those plants are getting direct aid in addition to the huge tax breaks though.  I don't know how they would stay afloat.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Read the reporting from the White House link. $500M provided in NY for job training. Owner of company for Syracuse plant pledges a zero waste, green effort, using wind/hydro generated electricity, among other initiatives. Will he get there? Remains to be seen but they’ll try. The other plants listed were for comparison purposes, I think, but of course they’ll try to glom on to any subsidies. No surprise there.

Hell, Tejas doesn’t care if a fertilizer storage facility explodes and kills people in the apartment building next door. Their legislature passes a bill to criminalize making said locations public a crime and for real estate agents to disclose proximity to said warehouses also a crime. That’s how you protect the public. What’s a few gallons of acid in a creek?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Read the reporting from the White House link. $500M provided in NY for job training. Owner of company for Syracuse plant pledges a zero waste, green effort, using wind/hydro generated electricity, among other initiatives. Will he get there? Remains to be seen but they’ll try. The other plants listed were for comparison purposes, I think, but of course they’ll try to glom on to any subsidies. No surprise there.

Hell, Tejas doesn’t care if a fertilizer storage facility explodes and kills people in the apartment building next door. Their legislature passes a bill to criminalize making said locations public a crime and for real estate agents to disclose proximity to said warehouses also a crime. That’s how you protect the public. What’s a few gallons of acid in a creek?
    Yet those big corporations keep doing business in Texas. it's almost like a lack of regulations is exactly what they are after and that their green eco friendly arms are just mere PR.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yet those big corporations keep doing business in Texas. it's almost like a lack of regulations is exactly what they are after and that their green eco friendly arms are just mere PR.
    Of course that’s what they want. But the onus should be on Tejas and other red states that race to the bottom to encourage corporate responsibility. NY is incentivizing doing the right thing or attempting to by offering “green” tax and other financial incentives. And one company is going to try to take advantage of it. Compromise, like how politics is supposed to work and not zero sum.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Of course that’s what they want. But the onus should be on Tejas and other red states that race to the bottom to encourage corporate responsibility. NY is incentivizing doing the right thing or attempting to by offering “green” tax and other financial incentives. And one company is going to try to take advantage of it. Compromise, like how politics is supposed to work and not zero sum.
    Austin is one of the "bluest" cities in the country and yet still they put blinders on when it comes to Samsung and some of the other big companies breaking the rules.  Green credits are about as useful and transparent as carbon offset credits.  Any amount of legal maneuvering can make it look like you have a green friendly "public private partnership" when the reality is much different, regardless of the alleged color of your government.  

If the compromise is, we will fuck the earth or we will fuck the earth but cover it with some feel good green PR is that really compromise though? 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Austin is one of the "bluest" cities in the country and yet still they put blinders on when it comes to Samsung and some of the other big companies breaking the rules.  Green credits are about as useful and transparent as carbon offset credits.  Any amount of legal maneuvering can make it look like you have a green friendly "public private partnership" when the reality is much different, regardless of the alleged color of your government.  

If the compromise is, we will fuck the earth or we will fuck the earth but cover it with some feel good green PR is that really compromise though? 
    I would hate to see these areas become Superfunds.

The water is the biggest problem I see.  It's well known that the deserts have water issues.  Forcing these companies to find ways to reuse/clean their water would be beneficial to everyone.
  • Options

Applications for jobless claims fall for 3rd straight week
    By MATT OTT
    29 mins ago

The number of people applying for unemployment benefits in the U.S. fell for third straight week. That's good news for American workers, but potentially bad news in the fight against inflation by the Federal Reserve, which has been ratcheting up its benchmark interest rate for a year in an effort to cool the economy, loosen the labor market and tame inflation.

Applications for jobless claims in the U.S. for the week ending February 25 fell to 190,000 from 192,000 the previous week, the Labor Department said Thursday. It’s the seventh straight week claims were under 200,000.

The four-week moving average of claims, which evens out some of the weekly volatility, rose by 1,750 to 193,000, remaining below the 200,000 threshold for the sixth straight week.

Applications for unemployment benefits are considered a proxy for the number layoffs in the U.S.

In February, the Fed raised its main lending rate by 25 basis points, its eighth rate hike in less than a year. The central bank’s benchmark rate is now in a range of 4.5% to 4.75%, its highest level in 15 years.

The Fed’s hawkish interest rate policy appeared to be slowing inflation, but recent data has suggested otherwise. Some economists now expect the Fed to raise its benchmark rate by a substantial half-percentage point when it meets later this month.

The Fed’s rate hikes have done little to cool a red-hot U.S. job market, which has put upward pressure on wages, and as a result, prices.

Last month, the government reported that employers added a better-than-expected 517,000 jobs in January and that the unemployment rate dipped to 3.4%, the lowest level since 1969. Fed policymakers have forecast that the unemployment rate would rise to 4.6% by the end of this year, a sizable increase historically associated with recessions.

Though the U.S. labor market remains strong, layoffs have been mounting in the technology sector, where many companies overhired after a pandemic boom. IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce, Facebook parent Meta, Twitter and DoorDash have all announced layoffs in recent months.

The real estate sector has also been battered by the Fed’s interest rate hikes. Higher mortgage rates — currently above 6% — have slowed home sales for 12 straight months. That’s almost in lockstep with the Fed’s rate hikes that began last March.

About 1.66 million people were receiving jobless aid the week that ended Feb. 18, a decrease of 5,000 from the week before.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

By MATT OTT
    29 mins ago

The number of people applying for unemployment benefits in the U.S. fell for third straight week. That's good news for American workers, but potentially bad news in the fight against inflation by the Federal Reserve, which has been ratcheting up its benchmark interest rate for a year in an effort to cool the economy, loosen the labor market and tame inflation.

Applications for jobless claims in the U.S. for the week ending February 25 fell to 190,000 from 192,000 the previous week, the Labor Department said Thursday. It’s the seventh straight week claims were under 200,000.

The four-week moving average of claims, which evens out some of the weekly volatility, rose by 1,750 to 193,000, remaining below the 200,000 threshold for the sixth straight week.

Applications for unemployment benefits are considered a proxy for the number layoffs in the U.S.

In February, the Fed raised its main lending rate by 25 basis points, its eighth rate hike in less than a year. The central bank’s benchmark rate is now in a range of 4.5% to 4.75%, its highest level in 15 years.

The Fed’s hawkish interest rate policy appeared to be slowing inflation, but recent data has suggested otherwise. Some economists now expect the Fed to raise its benchmark rate by a substantial half-percentage point when it meets later this month.

The Fed’s rate hikes have done little to cool a red-hot U.S. job market, which has put upward pressure on wages, and as a result, prices.

Last month, the government reported that employers added a better-than-expected 517,000 jobs in January and that the unemployment rate dipped to 3.4%, the lowest level since 1969. Fed policymakers have forecast that the unemployment rate would rise to 4.6% by the end of this year, a sizable increase historically associated with recessions.

Though the U.S. labor market remains strong, layoffs have been mounting in the technology sector, where many companies overhired after a pandemic boom. IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce, Facebook parent Meta, Twitter and DoorDash have all announced layoffs in recent months.

The real estate sector has also been battered by the Fed’s interest rate hikes. Higher mortgage rates — currently above 6% — have slowed home sales for 12 straight months. That’s almost in lockstep with the Fed’s rate hikes that began last March.

About 1.66 million people were receiving jobless aid the week that ended Feb. 18, a decrease of 5,000 from the week before.

I'm in financial services and everything is tightening up.  Companies are pulling postings.  Fintechs are laying people off in droves and cutting back their forecasts.  The biggest white collar employer in my area is Capita One, and they slashed their entire Six Sigma/Lean resources, which is about 1500 people.  The market is now flooded with them.  I'm not arguing with this data, I'm just seeing softness in white collar jobs right now.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

By MATT OTT
    29 mins ago

I'm in financial services and everything is tightening up.  Companies are pulling postings.  Fintechs are laying people off in droves and cutting back their forecasts.  The biggest white collar employer in my area is Capita One, and they slashed their entire Six Sigma/Lean resources, which is about 1500 people.  The market is now flooded with them.  I'm not arguing with this data, I'm just seeing softness in white collar jobs right now.  
    If they get a severance do they have to wait to apply for benefits?

Also, all this means is no one can afford a damn house unless you have half the damn downpayment.  If I want a house in my area it's average of $657,000.  Yep, that's right.  Keep raising these rates and only rich are affording them...  Or I need a substantial raise.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

By MATT OTT
    29 mins ago

Also, all this means is no one can afford a damn house unless you have half the damn downpayment.  If I want a house in my area it's average of $657,000.  Yep, that's right.  Keep raising these rates and only rich are affording them...  Or I need a substantial raise.
    Do you mean unemployment benefits?  I'm not sure.  Cap One absolutely pays severance.  If I would have been fired from there, I would have received 56 weeks.  I always joke the best thing that can happen to you is getting shit canned and then immediately getting another job.  You advance your retirement by five years if you're smart. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

By MATT OTT
    29 mins ago

Do you mean unemployment benefits?  I'm not sure.  Cap One absolutely pays severance.  If I would have been fired from there, I would have received 56 weeks.  I always joke the best thing that can happen to you is getting shit canned and then immediately getting another job.  You advance your retirement by five years if you're smart. 
    Yes, unemployment benefits.  Sometimes they make you sign something so you can't work or apply for benefits if you take a severance.
  • Options
    Aramco announced a record 161 Billion dollar profit.   That's not because of supply chains or lack of oil.  The prices went up and they didn't give a shit.  
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Some people in my circle think we are heading for a banking crash.  I think they are being over reactive.  What do some of the Economics Wonks on here think.  It seems that the fed is guaranteeing all banking due to the failed SVB?  Which basically subsidizes all risk, but lets the gains still go to the investor class? Why don't we let banks fail like we do people and any other capitalistic enterprise? I don't know anything about this and I am not about to pul my money out of the banks, because if it really were to crash it would probably be worth less than paper.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    Some people in my circle think we are heading for a banking crash.  I think they are being over reactive.  What do some of the Economics Wonks on here think.  It seems that the fed is guaranteeing all banking due to the failed SVB?  Which basically subsidizes all risk, but lets the gains still go to the investor class? Why don't we let banks fail like we do people and any other capitalistic enterprise? I don't know anything about this and I am not about to pul my money out of the banks, because if it really were to crash it would probably be worth less than paper.

some articles I've read suggest the Fed raising rates as they have were a driver on top of bad decisions by that bank in particular. it also didnt help fuckstick rolling back certain regs .
    so much winning.