Options

Top Gun: Maverick

36 years after the first Top Gun movie, Tom Cruise is back as Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell in Top Gun: Maverick.
This movie is just amazing, loved every second of it.
So did most moviegoers judging by the A+ moviescore.
If you want to see a fantastic action movie without Marvel superheros or a CGI overload, this is the film for you.
Seems like many adult moviegoers had been waiting for something like TG:M - it is huge at the Box Office.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/29/media/top-gun-maverick-box-office/index.html

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,729
    36 years after the first Top Gun movie, Tom Cruise is back as Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell in Top Gun: Maverick.
    If you want to see a fantastic action movie without Marvel superheros or a CGI overload, this is the film for you.
    Seems like many adult moviegoers had been waiting for something like TG:M - it is huge at the Box Office.

I picked up a DVD of the original Top Gun in a thrift store a few weeks ago because I hadn't seen it in ages and was kind of disappointed.  Some of the aviation aerobatics were interesting still of course, but I thought Cruise was unimpressive.  But I think he's become a better actor and done better work since then, so I'll check it out.  Thanks for the heads up!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

I watched the filming of this and it looks like a fun ride.  I also recommend the James Cordon interview w Tom Cruise.  Cruise actually flys fighter planes.  Impressive!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    We saw it on Saturday. We watched the original Fri night just to get in the groove.

It was good....I was surprised that my wife liked it as much as she did. It was interesting how many scenes they recreated from the first movie. The motorcycle racing the plane, etc.

I was annoyed with Jon Hamm's character. This idea where the authority figure hates the main character recurs in this movie and a lot of Clint Eastwood movies. Same scenario....the I hate you and would fire you but someone higher up says I have to keep you so I will just be a dick the entire movie until you prove yourself and then I will show respect thing.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 234
    Top Gun Maverick plays the nostalgia card almost perfectly.
    I also loved the Ghostbusters Legacy movie from 2021 because of this reason.
    Top Gun Maverick adds phenominal flight scenes to the nostalgic moments what makes it so good.
    Everyone I talked to about it loved the movie.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Some def corny, non-realistic moments, but it was a lot of fun!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    We saw it on Saturday. We watched the original Fri night just to get in the groove.

It was good....I was surprised that my wife liked it as much as she did. It was interesting how many scenes they recreated from the first movie. The motorcycle racing the plane, etc.

I was annoyed with Jon Hamm's character. This idea where the authority figure hates the main character recurs in this movie and a lot of Clint Eastwood movies. Same scenario....the I hate you and would fire you but someone higher up says I have to keep you so I will just be a dick the entire movie until you prove yourself and then I will show respect thing.

I dont know if you caught a fine detail over the past 36 years, but the protagonist's name is Maverick.

Maybe write an angry letter to Paramount that you showed up to see Mid-tier Gun: Milquetoast.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542

Every season of 24.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited June 2022

Every season of 24.

Ha! As someone just now binging 24 for the first time ever, I can definitely attest to that!

Anyway, I have to wonder if some folks were letting their expectations run wild, lol. It's the TOP GUN sequel. It sounds to me like the movie is exactly as it should be, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    date night Saturday. My wife can't wait. I'm just hoping for another volleyball scene that I can benefit from after. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    date night Saturday. My wife can't wait. I'm just hoping for another volleyball scene that I can benefit from after. lol
    Spoiler alert!
    No volleyball was played during the movie.
    That said, you're still in good shape and will benefit.  Hahahaha!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    LOL. awesome. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,165
    I like Me some Jennifer Connelly, Shes a BABE
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    CROJAM95 said:
    I like Me some Jennifer Connelly, Shes a BABE
    She is definitely aging well
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    edited June 2022
    Stale script where every scene was filled with the opposite of "show don't tell". Everyone just blurts our exposition or things that should be subtext. Also, how many times do they have to show the same photograph of Maverick and Iceman before they trust the audience to be up to speed? 

Everything that is written for Jennifer Connelly is "tell don't show" lines just being there to bluntly build up Maverick's character and his actions. Kind of off putting after a while. 

The forced third act action plot doesn't feel super. 

Looks dull compared to Tony Scott's vibrant original. Could have pushed the style more. And Tom should have gone with his natural grey hair. Get's kind of silly with him being 30 years older then the young cast but the production doing his hardest to have him portrayed and look just like them.

But my mom and sister cried during it in. So I guess it gets the job done. And with all the CGI-comic book movies filling up cinema screens it was nice seeing something that felt "expensive" but also as a "real" movie. Felt kind of high budget 90's in a way.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I really enjoyed it.
    My only complaint was it is just a copy of the Star Wars episode IV plot.

Big evil weapon has 1 flaw, an exhaust port 3 meters wide. 
    Team of fighters train to drop bomb on impossibly small target.
    Must travel through a narrow canyon with guns to reach target.
    Final run the guiding system goes out and has to make the drop blind.

I was halfway expecting to see a  millennial falcon cameo  in those final scenes.
  • Options
    I watched last night. I am floored that they nailed the tone, 35 yrs later.  The script and cast were fantastic!  I came home and preordered on Vudu.  It is Tom Cruise’s highest grossing movie, domestically, in his long and successful career and is 100% deserved.  I was smiling the whole time and was unprepared for how heavy it was at certain points.  Couldn’t be happier with it.  If you liked the original, this is a can’t miss movie. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Did they bring goose back?
    Weekend at Goose's is a movie I'd like to see.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Did they bring goose back?
    Weekend at Goose's is a movie I'd like to see.
    The voice of Anthony Edwards (Goose) tells Tom Cruise to "use the force" in the last act.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ha
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Maybe they will make a sequel in another 35 yrs and Tom Cruise will look like he’s aged 10 more years
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mace1229 said:
    I really enjoyed it.

I was halfway expecting to see a  millennial falcon cameo  in those final scenes.
    yep....I had the same vibe
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 234
    Watched it three times already, been a long time since I liked a movie that much.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,165
    Just saw it on Dolby screen

very cool & well done. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited June 2022
    Lovely :smile: 

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    I guess I should see the first one before this one. When Top Gun came out I had a strong aversion to Tom Cruise so I never saw it and haven’t bothered to watch it since. I am sure I can find it streaming somewhere. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    GlowGirl said:
    I guess I should see the first one before this one. When Top Gun came out I had a strong aversion to Tom Cruise so I never saw it and haven’t bothered to watch it since. I am sure I can find it streaming somewhere. 
    Paramount Plus
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

When that scene came and Tom Cruise just froze and was standing outside like it was a lifechanging event singing that song once in his twenties, just because that was the one scene that we, the audience, had seen from his and Goose relationship...

... I felt "has the nostalgia wankery" gone a bit too far Star Wars-style?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    mace1229 said:
    I really enjoyed it.

I just saw it today. Yeah definitely thought of episode IV a lot during the training period and the actual mission. Might be better than the original. Did find it kinda odd that they never mentioned who the enemy actually was, most movies who know or they say or you can tell. Also decent soundtrack.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    I really enjoyed it.

I just saw it today. Yeah definitely thought of episode IV a lot during the training period and the actual mission. Might be better than the original. Did find it kinda odd that they never mentioned who the enemy actually was, most movies who know or they say or you can tell. Also decent soundtrack.
    They didn’t say? I was thinking Russia. Maybe because it was the latest generation of Migs they were fighting. 
    But I think you may be on to something. I bet more movies are going to be value about who they are fighting so they don’t upset anyone.
    Didnt they change the plot of the Red Dawn remake from China to NK because they didn’t want to upset China?