Options

Antidepressants for Pain

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
I’m looking at throat pain for about another year due to radiation. Since I don’t (ever!) want to get back on opioids and I’m limited in what I can take due to cirrhosis, my pain doctor prescribed a “low dose” of Effexor, an antidepressant. It’s supposed to be effective for pain but I’m reading some nightmarish accounts from people who were taking that dosage for depression and it really fucked with them. 

Does anyone have any experience in this realm? I don’t have a good feeling about this drug and feel like I should follow my instinct.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,960
    Ive taken lots of ssri and i find they  make me numb and emotionless and very hard to get off of. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    M tried several for "IBS" pain. None worked. Lexapro made him mean. (He is not a mean guy at all.) When he told me he was going off Lexapro (which was the 4th antidepressant they tried) and he wasn't trying another, I remember sitting on the kitchen floor and crying in relief. Good god, it was terrible. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    That’s what I’m afraid of, Amy and Rob. Lack of ability to cry, emotionally numb, really. I quit drinking to end the self-imposed numbness! Feeling the bad parts of life can hurt like hell but it’s better than being essentially a robot.  

And I too worry about personality changes. I definitely don’t need to put my husband nor myself through more drama — avoidable, in this case.

(I’m glad M and you got through that nightmare :) )
  • Options
    Personality  change 
     Good point. My step dad has been on sertraline a year
     He is a different  man
     Can't  even talk to him. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BH76306BH76306 Posts: 72
    I don't have experience taking an SSRI for pain, but I do take one (Lexapro) for anxiety and depression and it has given me my life back. One of the best things I've ever done for myself.
  • Options
    BH76306 said:
    I don't have experience taking an SSRI for pain, but I do take one (Lexapro) for anxiety and depression and it has given me my life back. One of the best things I've ever done for myself.
    That’s the thing — it works well for some, maybe most, who are taking it for depression and//or anxiety but my dosage for pain would be the same as someone taking it for its intended use. And then I’d be on it long term? What would that do to me, to my brain, its wiring?

I think I’m making up my mind here…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    hedonist said:
    BH76306 said:
    That’s the thing — it works well for some, maybe most, who are taking it for depression and//or anxiety but my dosage for pain would be the same as someone taking it for its intended use. And then I’d be on it long term? What would that do to me, to my brain, its wiring?

I think I’m making up my mind here…

is there any data on the questions you pose in this post?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickey, not that I’ve found. Much of it is anecdotal but more than enough to give me pause. Plus just by my own common sense, it’d have to have some kind of effect. 

I imagine a good psychiatrist would know. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    hedonist said:
    mickey, not that I’ve found. Much of it is anecdotal but more than enough to give me pause. Plus just by my own common sense, it’d have to have some kind of effect. 

I imagine a good psychiatrist would know. 
    so the reasoning behind use is as a nerve blocker? is that the idea?

and I would expect its been or wil be prescribed at a low dose dir to the liver problem,  yes?

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    It’s one of the few drugs that’s unlikely to affect my liver (which we monitor regularly via labs). If I wanted to go back on morphine it’d be no problem but I can’t stand narcotics and their side effects.

I realize pretty much everything has side effects — hell, life itself has them! — but if I can avoid some, I will. I’ve had enough side effects to last a lifetime 😂
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    It’s one of the few drugs that’s unlikely to affect my liver (which we monitor regularly via labs). If I wanted to go back on morphine it’d be no problem but I can’t stand narcotics and their side effects.

I realize pretty much everything has side effects — hell, life itself has them! — but if I can avoid some, I will. I’ve had enough side effects to last a lifetime 😂

I get it, but surely its worth trying to see how you do?

• Options
    I’m worried about stopping it as well. It takes about two weeks to start feeling the results but if not? Now I’ve got potential effects both during and while getting off it.

It just doesn’t feel right to me. My discomfort at taking this is screaming and I think I have to heed to my gut. 

I will say that the pain really sucks. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I’m worried about stopping it as well. It takes about two weeks to start feeling the results but if not? Now I’ve got potential effects both during and while getting off it.

It just doesn’t feel right to me. My discomfort at taking this is screaming and I think I have to heed to my gut. 

I will say that the pain really sucks. 

no doubt. Well good luck at arriving at an acceptable solution. I expect you have detailed convos with your docs about this stuff..... Have you explored what if any benefits might come from certain CBD products? Any studies you might become a part of to this effect?

• Options
    I’m already in one clinical research trial for my liver. More would be too much and being another Guinea pig doesn’t sweeten the deal. 

And CBD does absolutely nothing for me, dammit. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I’m already in one clinical research trial for my liver. More would be too much and being another Guinea pig doesn’t sweeten the deal. 

welp, we've exhausted my expertise. you should consult the professionals ......

• Options
    Im sceptical about them relieving  pain at All 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I know people who have been prescribed antidepressants for hip pain.
  • Options
    Ive heard of it like amitriptyline  for  sleep and mild pain relief . And the anti psychotic  i was to take for sleep knocked me out . I wasnt psychotic and never  have been but i was prescribed  it and its good for when you need it all to stop and to shut down half a day 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,853
    I think this may be a question to ask Doctors, not Pearl Jam message board posters. Call a few different offices.
    Sorry to hear you're in pain.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:
    I think this may be a question to ask Doctors, not Pearl Jam message board posters. Call a few different offices.
    But PJ board members are my go-to for life’s decisions!

I wanted to see if others here have been through this. Not all, but many doctors don’t seem to give much thought to how the patient will truly be affected by certain meds.
  • Options
    And many Drs  never took these pills so can't  know  what the experience  is like
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited May 2022
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,853
    hedonist said:
    a5pj said:
    But PJ board members are my go-to for life’s decisions!

I wanted to see if others here have been through this. Not all, but many doctors don’t seem to give much thought to how the patient will truly be affected by certain meds.
     :)<3  
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    hedonist said:

What about THC? 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    I may have mentioned it awhile ago when your journey began but look into Wellbutrin- antidepressant, mood elevator, pain reliever.
    I also have CFS and it really helps.  It’s an older pharmaceutical.  
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:

What about THC? 
    Unfortunately, throat cancer has ended my smoking days. Edibles don’t really affect me (not like they used to; could be due to cirrhosis) so I use THC softgels. Need about 200 mg though!

Rob, I want to be in charge of my moods, if that makes sense. I don’t want to take any type of antidepressant, low dosage or not. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    hedonist said:
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:

What about THC? 
    Unfortunately, throat cancer has ended my smoking days. Edibles don’t really affect me (not like they used to; could be due to cirrhosis) so I use THC softgels. Need about 200 mg though!

Rob, I want to be in charge of my moods, if that makes sense. I don’t want to take any type of antidepressant, low dosage or not. 
    I agree totally. Im not sure antidepressants work for pain . In my opinion 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    hedonist said:
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:

What about THC? 

I was not suggesting smoking!!  200 mg would knock me out for a week.  Hope you find some relief.  
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:

What about THC? 

I was not suggesting smoking!!  200 mg would knock me out for a week.  Hope you find some relief.  
    Thanks! My out-of-whack body ain’t what it used to be 😛
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    a5pj said:
    But PJ board members are my go-to for life’s decisions! :smile: